Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Need ISO metric fine 6mm screws
Why not drill ant tap for a more readily available size? 1/4-20 is a close match.
5
5

which air compressor?
I'm looking for a small (20-30 gal) garage air compressor. I want to run small air tools (grinder, maybe sprayer) and a plasma cutter, not at the same time. I want something quiet and can spend a few...
16
16

OT: Eye test for drivers license
OK, I know this is waaay off topic but....... In order to renew a Texas drivers license one has to pass an 'eye test'. Is the eye test chart a 'standard' format? And, if so, what is the name of the...
21
21

Welding castiron
I have a bath tub that I want to use to melt lead in [ for a boat keel] can a black iron pipe be welded to the drain hole? I would also like cover the overflow hole.
7
7

TIG welding 304 to 316
Hello, I would like to TIG but weld two 3" dia pipes. Wall thickness is 1/16" One is 304L and the other is 316 I have ER308L 3/32 rod. Will this work? Should I leave the ends square?
6
6

help with rf-31 motor wiring
I had a problem with my motor starting mechanism on my rf-31 (wholesale tool version). There is/was a small terminal block on the motor where the wires come from the rotary switch and go to the motor...

Lapping nylon
Folks, I'm attempting to fit a 1.5 inch nylon cylinder into a 1 inch diameter metal sleeve. The nylon will act as a piston for my spring piston pellet gun. I've heard for years that auto engine...
15
15

240v speedway buzzbox on 120?
howdy all are the poles the same for 120 as for 240? tried posting this over in p.m.'s welding forum & and so far, no help there. maybe somebody here can please help? i'm clueless 'bout ac electrical...
4
4

running a 3phase MIG welder on a rotary converter setup - doable? impractical? impossible?
moving OUT of my shop and back into my garage at home. shop has three phase. I want to buy a used MIG, but lots of the ones I see are three phase. anybody here ever run their MIG (or any other...
4
4

tosnuc 600m control
I might buy an 85 toshiba (shibaura) vmc_45 with a tosnuc 600m control. I need to know if this control is one that could lose it's executive or ladder logic if an internal battery goes dead. The...

Logan lathe for sale
I have a model 210, but with legs, lathe serial #48156 complete with good motor. This lathe had been in my family since it was purchased somewhere in late 1948 I believe. I don't think it has had much...
1
1

Tires for Rockwell 20" bandsaw
Our Rockwell 20" bandsaw has rubber "tires" on each wheel. The wheels are cast aluminum with a central V shaped groove. The tires have hardened over the years and are now just fragments. Does anyone...
7
7

How to lower pressure in air compressor?
I have an air compressor which gives out to high of a psi. I want to lower the output psi. I have a complete machine shop, and know how to take the compressor all apart. How would I lower the output...
5
5

Advise on driving an 18" circular saw blade
Am contemplating constructing a wood cutting chop saw for cutting up fireplace logs. 18" circular blades are readily available here and would seem about the right size for the size of logs I'd be...
25
25

Dremel (rotary tool) for righthanders?
Is there some reason why a rotary tool spins so that dust/shavings are sprayed back towards a right-handed user? Or maybe I'm using it wrong? Seems that either I need to use the cutting tool with my...
28
28

Tap Drill/Metric-SAE conversion Chart?
When ever I'm hanging out in my Ole Machinist friends shop, I always notice several of these very large charts hanging on the walls. Large enough you could read them from 10 ft away. In fact over the...
7
7

Cincinnati Horozontal Mill problem
I volunteer at the local science museum,rebuilding old machinery. Mostly steam and early diesel tractors and road rollers. We have a pretty good shop with a selection older, but good solid machine...
22
22

VFD and Dealers Electric experience
Hi all, Just thought I'd let you know about my experience with Dealers Electric (insert usual disclaimer about not being related in any way to DE). I bought a VFD and 1 HP motor from them on the...
6
6

Curtis Air Tank
Hi guys, I am trying to re-hab an old Curtis air tank for home shop use @ 125 psi. It is OLD, as in rolled plate, riveted, with the seam filled with a silver color metal. The drain bung is almost...
11
11

Slo-Syn stepping motor wiring diagram
I have an old Slo-Syn Model HS25 stepper motor made by The Superior Electric Company in Bristol, CT. Specs are 45 oz-in, 5.4V at 1.5A. It has six wires colored: Red Black Green White Red-white...
4
4