Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Welding "Anti-Stick"?
Hi, Is there some compound or liquid that I can spray or rub on between parts that will keep them from fusing from the heat of nearby welding? I'm welding three pieces of tubing to a structure, and...
9
9

Brass 360 temp chart
I am interested in finding out where there is a color graph for 360 brass temperatures. Thanks John
8
8

Kind of OT--- How do you measure the drum capacity of a cement mixer?
I have a freshly painted and tuned cement mixer I want to sell but I don't know how to accurately describe it. I see mixers offered as 1/2 sack mixers, etc. but how is the capacity computed. The drum...
4
4

Freeing up universal joint
My kit car steering rack contains 3 universal joints (made by Nadella). The lower one is particularly stiff - not corroded as it was new when I bought it and it was stiff then. Which oil is best to...
10
10

Silicon Bronze MIG Welding
I just stuck a spool of Silicon Bronze in my new Lincoln Power MIG 255C and am hoping someone might have some experience to answer a few questions. (My only experience with this type of filler...
5
5

can you pour brass in a mold?
Could a person melt brass or bronze with a oxy welding torch in a cruxible and pour it in a shallow, crude mold of plaster paris or some other material? I've been reading about sand cast molds but it...
14
14

Derbyshire Elect Lathe
I have a Derbyshire elect (SN 1596) watchmakers lathe with 2 beds (1 with 2 posts, the other with 1), headstock, collet holding tailstock, derbyshire compound cross slide, jacobs chuck, 3-jaw Burnerd...
1
1

1912 "Machine Shop Library"
Hi. Was looking for a list of all the volumes in the old ( Mcgraw-Hill ) "Machine Shop Library"/ "Library of machine shop practice" series, from some where around 1910 forward. I only remember the...
7
7

Lagun Lathes
Hi Guys, I have been checking the FAQ's and Google for information and opinions on Lagun Republic lathes. I am asking for advice and opinions from the members of this group. I currently own a South...
20
20

RPC vs Motor Generator
I currently have the following equipment running off 3 phase 220v: Cincinnati 24" shaper (7 1/2 hp) Excello 602 vertical mill (1 1/2 hp) B&S #2 surface grinder (1 hp) Cincinnati #2 horizontal mill (5...
22
22

Older Plasma Cutter
Ive got an opportunity to do some horse trading for an older plasma cutter. The odd thing about this one..it uses Nitrogen and I think CO2 It may be a ThermoDynamics or a Miller. Ive not seen the unit...
21
21

eMachineShop is a threat to small machine shops?
I tried to get a few parts made but couldn't get through their CAD program. It took me about 20 tries to get the drawing right, then when it came time to detail which tools were going to be used I had...
16
16

Rollie Dad's Method Headstock Alignment
HI Group: I was goofing off trying to figure out rollie dad's method of headstock alignment and see if my headstock is REALLY aligned or not. . Lathe is an Emco (not enco) V10 Maximat. Bed has been...
2
2

Running Lincoln Single Phase 220V welder from generator
I have a lincoln Mig welder requiring 230V 20A single phase power. I have a welding job to do where there is no power available. It has the Nema 6-50P 3 prong style plug. I have a coleman 5000W run /...
10
10

Properties of "coin silver"?
Hello, does anybody know what, exactly, "coin silver" is (I found something like 90% silver 10% copper, but are there other standards), and what its mechanical properties are? I'm looking for a...
15
15

Short lifetime of wire cup brushes
Hi all, Today I've been cleaning off some rust off a backhoe using a wire cup brush on an angle grinder. I thought these brushes would last a fair while, but after about 15 minutes of use it lost most...
19
19

Tool chatter
Totally new to metal turning on an engine lathe. Bought an inexpensive (read cheap Chinese) Grizzly machine which is about all I really need for my hobby type projects but - seems to me I'm getting...
6
6

Drilling out taper pins
I have to punch out 5 or 6 #7 taper pins that are in a very bad position. If I can't get any out what are the thoughts of the group about drilling them. How big shoulld the drill be? Should I drill...
16
16

Chuck Key for South Bend 4 Jaw
I recently purchased a model # 4006 South Bend 6" four jaw manual lathe chuck which as made by Skinner Chuck Co. It came without a key. I though it would be simple to find a replacement; however, I...
2
2

Sharpening geometric chasers?
What is normal cost for having this done? We have 9/16 D chasers and the previous fella here would buy new ones when they got dull. I called the only place in the state(Arkansas) that does it and they...
3
3