Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Properties of "coin silver"?
Hello, does anybody know what, exactly, "coin silver" is (I found something like 90% silver 10% copper, but are there other standards), and what its mechanical properties are? I'm looking for a...
15
15

Short lifetime of wire cup brushes
Hi all, Today I've been cleaning off some rust off a backhoe using a wire cup brush on an angle grinder. I thought these brushes would last a fair while, but after about 15 minutes of use it lost most...
19
19

Tool chatter
Totally new to metal turning on an engine lathe. Bought an inexpensive (read cheap Chinese) Grizzly machine which is about all I really need for my hobby type projects but - seems to me I'm getting...
6
6

Chuck Key for South Bend 4 Jaw
I recently purchased a model # 4006 South Bend 6" four jaw manual lathe chuck which as made by Skinner Chuck Co. It came without a key. I though it would be simple to find a replacement; however, I...
2
2

Sharpening geometric chasers?
What is normal cost for having this done? We have 9/16 D chasers and the previous fella here would buy new ones when they got dull. I called the only place in the state(Arkansas) that does it and they...
3
3

Minituare surface grinder
Was wondering if there is product on the market that would have a 2" grinding weel, may be 6x12" grinding area and .0002" or better downfeed control ? I need to be able to grind 1/4 strips of blue...
6
6

Any recommendations for a small vertical bandsaw?
I'd be interested in cutting mild steel plate up to maybe 1/4" and perhaps angle or thicker bar once in a while, also Aluminum up to 3/4" thick. I rather avoid anything by Central Machinery or other...
16
16

Sheldon 10" lathe question
Tonight my buddy and I went to look at a venerable old 10" Sheldon lathe. It's a model L-62 with a nice long bed. There is a lot of crust and dirt and a little rust on it, but there is also some...
15
15

Baldor tool grinder wheel removal?
I got a No. 500 Baldor tool grinder recently that I'm beginning to monkey with. Gunner gave me a couple of old diamond wheels, so I thought I'd try mounting one to see if it still cut. It appears that...
2
2

FS Jet 10x24 Lathe Western WA
Good Morning, I recently had to by a new manual lathe with a longer bed so the 1024 PBY Jet is up for sale. It has Quick change gears, a 3 Jaw chuck, 4 Jaw chuck, steady rest, face plate, two dead...

Clean lathe clutch with petrol?
Can I safely clean a lathe's clutch with petrol? The lathe is a Gornati Leopard, and the clutches are sprayed in oil as they run. I suspect that the previous owner has used an oil that is too thick,...
4
4

Metal Shear question: Niagara
At work we just set up an older Mechanical metal shear. It is a Niagara 1/4" capacity 8 foot model 88. So.. I call up Bliss clearing Niagara and ask for a manual. While I am on the phone I say "...
5
5

$850 for Clausing 8530 mill + Clausing 2' lathe?
A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a...
33
33

Recommendations for home shop metal lathe
I'm not an experienced machinist.(But I learn quickly!) I'd appreciate input re: a good lathe for home DIY'ers like me. I'd like to be able to turn aluminum,brass,mild steel and 3-4 inch maximum...
3
3

rockwell/clausing horizontal mills
I just added a Clausing 8540 horizonal mill to my shop. It seems to be in good condition. The lead screws have about 15 thou backlash and everything seems to run ok. The table has lots of dings and...
6
6

Re-heat-treating A2 - can I simply repeat the process ?
Heat treated some 1/2 thick, 1" wide, 2" long pieces of A2 and did not get the hardness I needed (preheat emtpty oven to 1450, drop in the steel, wrapped in air-tight in SS foil bags with some brown...
1
1

Clausing 8540or 5900 Speed Control Return Spring
Are there any tricks or gotchas to inspecting or removing the spring inside the variable speed control handle on these mills. It looks like it uses the same spring and hub as the 5900 lathes in case...
2
2

Help ID Unknown Tool
Hi Group, I picked up this tool at a flea market and have no idea what it is. It clearly is for making grooves or creases on something. Pictures are at: marked Newport KY There is an HKS company in KY...
17
17

TOS FN-32 spindle repair?
A plea for help from a lurker... My TOS FN-32 mill's spindle bearings gave up the ghost today, (smoke & grinding to a grizzly halt), which pretty much ruined my day, plus my work of course. I'm a...
3
3

annealed steel hardness
I have two samples of steel, one that is annealed, and one that is not. Both samples are in the shapes of cylindrical pucks. In both samples, the steel was found to be slightly harder on the inside of...
4
4