Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

resistance soldering 1/4 brass update
Some time ago I posted looking for info on resistance soldering. I was going to wind my own xmfrs. Because of time constraints I only got two of the three wound and couldn't get enough amperage. Then,...
7
7

7x12 Enco Turnpro bandsaw review
Finally had a chance to get my new 7x12 Enco Turnpro band saw ready and use it. First thing I did was change the oil as so many have recommended when talking about the 4x6 units. Very good idea and I...
1
1

Annealing 1144 toolsteel?
What temperature and procedure is used to fully anneal 1144 tool steel? Thanks for the help!
8
8

Clausing lathe?
I am in the market for a used manual lathe as a companion to my Shizuoka cnc mill. I would like to find something for under $4000 with tooling, perhaps $3000 with little tooling. Size doesn't scare me...
22
22

diamond blade for aluminum
I bought a bandsaw with a continuous diamond blade for cutting glass. I haven't used it and wonder if I can change it's purpose to cutting some small aluminum pieces. If so, should I still use the...
2
2

Recommendations on finite element analysis software?
Hey guys, been reading up on the stuff and it's terribly fascinating. There are TONS of FEA freeware programs floating around the net... any suggestions for a beginner to learn the ropes on?
3
3

Copper wire question
I am starting to get together some things that I will use and need for fabricating. One of the items is copper wire. Today, the guy doing the electrical in my kitchen was tossing some short pieces of...
10
10

Lathe bed straightness
So I'm trying to level my new lathe, a 13x40. I'm using a Starrett machinist level (.005/10"). (I know I'm supposed to be using a master precision level (.0005/10")). With the level perpendicular to...
6
6

VFD problems ?
Hello All, I have just aquired a new to me Enco 13" lathe. The lathe itself runs very well. But my VFD is giving me fits. About every third or fourth time I turn the lathe on, I get a OC-C fault on my...
23
23

Reusing lock washers
Greetings! I'm working in a warehouse where they have a carton opener which blade held by a 10-32 screw. The practice WAS to "CRANK IT DOWN" to keep the blade in tight; this has resulted in screws...
9
9

gate latches for utility trailer?
Hi all, in high school I built a little 4x8 all steel utility trailer. Its a fraction of an inch too short to haul a full sheet of anything or 8' lumber, etc. The gate has to come off. Anyway, when I...
6
6

FREE parts bin cabinets (near Seattle)
I let the garage sale bug bite me a little too hard and I wound up with a couple of parts bins that I can't fit into my garage. They are FREE to the first one who comes and gets them. There are two:...
5
5

recognize these endmill holders?
I have these endmill holders. I dont know what machine they fit, but they are in excellent shape and surplus to my needs. Anyone know what they fit? Anyone need them? Gunner That rifle hanging on the...
13
13

soldering to brass
I want to make a flat piece of brass with a ring soldered to it so it can fit onto a keyring. I am lousy at soldering. Can anyone tell me exactly what kind of solder to use, flux, and what to look out...
16
16

Yet another tool gloat
Went down to the shop today, to help with a problem, and while there one of the fellows we used to deal with came in, having decided to hang it up completely. He opened his tool box and started to...
5
5

3 Clausing 4902 lathes for sale
Another machining program « bites [bytes?] the dust » Because of a lack of enrollment, apparently due to a lack of local area jobs, [We have been unable to locate any of the companies who continue...

Sheet metal brake out of wood?
Hi. I've got a stack of stainless steel sheets about 14" x 30". I don't know what guage they are, but they're thin enough that I can cut them with tin snips. I'm wondering if I can make some boxes and...
11
11

How to read a vernier scaled bore gage
I've got a new job working for a shop that repairs a certain kind electro/mechanical unit off of big commercial aircraft. The shop is part of the company that manufactures these units new. We tear...
8
8

Steam boiler certification
Hello: WRDW, the CBS affiliate in Augusta Ga, is interested in doing a story on the new South Carolina Boiler rules. Are there any hobbiest in the Augusta/Aiken (CSRA) area that would be interested in...

Clausing 8530 CNC Conversion
Has anybody every done a Clausing 8530 2 axis CNC Conversion? Specifically, are their ball screws available? (I think I can handle the electronics/stepper motor issues). Steve Koschmann