Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Where is 1075 blue spring steel used commonly ?
Hi, I'd like to (literally) get my hands on some 1075 blue temper steel gauge 16 (.062") 1/2~1" x ~4" to see if its got the right spring for a project. mcmaster will sell me 40 ft of the stuff, but I...
7
7

Is tungsten carbide ferrous?
Is tungsten carbide ferrous?
37
37

How do you release hot glue?
I used a hot glue gun to glue together two pieces of material to machine one side, but I can't figure out how to release the bond without using heat, for fear of warping one of the pieces. Anyone have...
8
8

how to calculate acetylene withdrawal rate?
Hi all How to calculate this? Are there any general formulae? Besides, since a given tip has a given set of OA pressures, which is the acceptable variation range? And, there is some rule of thumb...
16
16

Someone looking for Jarno taper?
I recall someone looking for a jarno taper adapter for a spindle nose some time back. I think Ive found two of them..maybe. What was the taper needed, and what are the taper specs? Ill measure and see...
1
1

Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?
Hi all, I'm machining some small (1" x 1.5") aluminum brackets and want these to be cosmetically nice. IOW, I'd like the machined surface to be unmarked by clamp or vise marks. How can clamp these...
16
16

Dayton grinder motor vibration
I have an old Dayton grinder, 1800 RPM motor. When it is running, it makes a loud humming sound. When it is turned off, it coasts silently along for a long time, indicating good bearings and balance....
6
6

Best thing since pockets on a tee shirt
I really, really like my auto darkening welding helmet. What's your favorite most handy tool ? Ron
4
4

Parting off vs bandsaw
Hi, Gang: Being inexperienced with lathes I've always used the bandsaw instead of a parting-off tool. What are the pros and cons of this approach? Thanks Roger in Vegas Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer...
29
29

LeBlonde Regal 15C5 help
I am setting up a new (to me) lathe in my shop and I am having problems finding the release for the half-nut/feed lock-out feature. I suspect someone on the list has ample experience with this...
3
3

Lightening Hole Question
I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some guidelines for lightening holes. I am restoring a car and I'm building a perimeter frame out of 3" x 4" x .120" astm 500 C steel tubing....
14
14

MINOR PLANET 2003 XJ7 ZOOMS BY
No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing...

Wanted: Used professional desktop lathes? Any Canadian on-line resources?
i'm having a terrible time finding a great deal on a used desktop lathe. i currently own a taig mini-lathe, though i am looking for something with closer tolerances, a few more features, and that is...
9
9

Using Brass Round to Lap Chuck Jaws
I was reading up on lapping chuck jaws and came across the thread about using a brass bar and valve lapping compound to do the job. I want to make sure I understand the process before I try it. 1) Get...
8
8

Hardinge TM Spindle Lock
(Also posted to Hardinge-Mills yahoo group) I'm cleaning up and painting my TM. The last part I haven't removed from the pedestal is the bushing for the spindle locking pin. Does anyone know if or how...
7
7

Bottle Jack questions
Stupid question for the group. What is the proper procedure for filling a bottle jack? Ive been told any number of ways, all different. Intelligent question for the group What is the proper method to...
13
13

Daisychaining Air Compressors
I would like to daisy chain two compressors to gain the volume and hopefully not to have my one 2hp unit work quite so hard on large spray projects. Any advice or opinions on doing this? Steve
5
5

sharpen Woodruff cutters
Does anyone have a design for a jig to sharpen Woodruff cutters?
1
1

Garvin Horizontal Mill
Grettings, Not much written or recorded on the Web regarding Garvin horizontal Milling Machines. I'd be interested in exchanging photos or info on a Model 13 I picked up. Mine does not quite look like...

Moving Rockwell 11x24 lathe to basement
I am about to move my rockwell 11x24 lathe into the basement. The plan is to break it down into small pieces and move each piece with a refrigerator dolly. So if I remove the saddle, tailstock and QC...
20
20