Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Mamod steam engine drive belts
I want to put two Mamod drive belts to form one longer belt. How do I get them apart? I'm not familiar with Mamod belts; I have a Mamod (I think) engine, but no accessories. If it's a flat belt, you...
5
5

Equivalent 3 phase vs single phase power draw
Suppose that I have a 3 phase device (say, a resistive load) that draws X amps. What would be the current draw of a single phase device that consumes the same amount of power. My hunch is that a...
10
10

Making a 10 sided dome
I want to make a dome (1/2 sphere) that is made up of 10 metal "triangular" sections. It will not be a true 1/2 sphere. Each metal section will be bent in only one direction and will be straight in...
6
6

Question about removing spindle on Jet lathe
I have a Jet 1024 and I was turning down a back plate for a chuck, in back gear. All of a sudden it slowed and stopped. Not a "clunk" stop, more like the brakes being applied. I determined that the...

Should I kick myself?
A guy showed up at the shop door today with a pick-up load of new equipment to sell. It probably wasn't a scam as the truck was painted with the same logo/brand as the equipment. Anyway, the story was...
26
26

AC shader pole induction motor
i have a dayton shaded pole single phase motor with 1/150HP, 3000 RPM, 230 V, 60 Hz frequency and Full Load Amps 0.24 . I want to control the torque of this motor through that i have input current to...
14
14

What do you call a bench grinder fixture without the inline motor?
It's made of cast iron with holes to bolt to the bench top; its just a stand with bronze bushings (oil caps on top) for the arbor with a pully in the middle that you hook up to a motor behind. You can...
12
12

wanted manual for Fincor ACE KH VFD
First the gloat....... Bought this VFD off Ebay at a really low price, got it today and it works. But no manual. I thought no problem just find the manual on the WEB. But after fifteen minutes, I am...
6
6

Mismarked tools?
Hi guys and gals- I have in front of me a 12 point, deep, 1/2" drive socket stamped very neatly 'Allen USA 1-1/16 12269'. Only problem is that it is a 1" socket that measures very nearly the same...
16
16

Hydraulics for backhoe thumb question
I need to make a thumb for the 580CK Case tractor backhoe. The bucket on the front of the machine will keep the same angle as it is raised and lowered. So, for example, if the operator tilts the...
13
13

Which Lathe to buy
A local dealer recommends an ENCO lathe. Are they any better or worse than a Jet? Bob AZ ENCO or EMCO - BIG difference! Gerry :-)} London, Canada [ ... ] Agreed! However -- assuming that it is Enco,...
6
6

Battlebots Good Weapon Material?
Hey, I'm working on a design for a Battlebot for their 2005 competition in Orlando Florida. I am working on a design that I feel will fair extremely well against any others. Currently, I am looking at...
51
51

LeBlond Tool & Cutter Grinder
Hi gang; I just added a new machine to my LeBlond collection... It's called a #2 Universal Tool & Cutter Grinder (I think that's the official name). I was very lucky to snap it up on ebay from...
6
6

milling annealed steel with a router?
I need to mill some slots in some 1095, annealed steel. I can use a dremel to finish up, or file work. The slot (or groove, a long hole) is to be .25" x 3 " Is it possible to chuck some kind of...
8
8

Bison rotary table
Just received my new bison 6 inch rotary table for the Maximat V10-p. Very nice, also very large. Fortunately, it is barely small enough to work. For example, the dividing disk fixture handle just...

1HP? 3 HP? Air Compressor Pump
I recently dragged a very nice old Campbell-Hausfield 30 gal compressor out of the trash. It has a ASTM tank in good shape and a smooth-running Doerr motor rated at 1 HP 17.8 amp. There is a...
3
3

why are gibs tapered?
Most dovetail slides use a tapered gib. Why? When making a dovetail slide, do you have to also machine one of the dovetails with a taper to match the gib? Or is it just that the setscrews on one side...
5
5

Clausing lathe?
I am in the market for a used manual lathe as a companion to my Shizuoka cnc mill. I would like to find something for under $4000 with tooling, perhaps $3000 with little tooling. Size doesn't scare me...
22
22

10" South Bend Lathe Model No?
I just picked up a 10" South Bend Lathe. The Catalog Number is 199A and it has 4' bed. There is square base motor housing that tapers up the Bed. The tailstock end has a 2 point Leg and a chip pan. It...
3
3

Help! trying to solder 303 stainless to copper
Hi - I hope someone can give me a clue on this, I've coiled the ends of twentyfive 3 foot pieces of 3/16 inch 303 stainless steel rods to fit on a 3/4 inch copper tube. I'm trying to solder the coiled...
7
7