Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Moving Rockwell 11x24 lathe to basement
I am about to move my rockwell 11x24 lathe into the basement. The plan is to break it down into small pieces and move each piece with a refrigerator dolly. So if I remove the saddle, tailstock and QC...
20
20

DRO on Clausing 8530
I have a Clausing 8530 mill. I would like to put a DRO on it. Does anyone have a rec for which type of unit to put on? and how to do it or how not to do it? I was thinking of just doing the quill type...

Kurt Vise for Clausing 8520
Its time for a new vise for my Clausing knee mill. Has anyone used a 6" Kurt on a 8520? I know a 5" would probably be the better choice but the cost is prohibitive and they rarely show up on ebay....
2
2

Lard Oil Recipe
I'm looking for a recipe for lard oil used in machining. I want to turn some threads and noticed the first time I tried the threads were somewhat gnarly. In the book "How to Run a Lathe" it mentions...
5
5

major interrupted cuts on lathe
Do you think that one could take a really interrupted cut - cutting the OD of automotive crankshaft counterweights to a smaller OD - in forged EN-19 hardened steel? The hardening is a surface...
3
3

Clausing Lathe 12 x 36 FS
Click this link for photos: This has been my personal lathe since it was new, in my small shop doing prototypes and R & D. I¹ve had it in my home shop for the past three years, and now I¹m forced to...
5
5

Allowance for anodizing
I have some Aluminum parts, 7075 T6, for machining and will anodize at home using the sulfuric acid / battery charger method, or a variation. For the tight tolerance parts, do I need to machine, ream,...
8
8

trencher roller chain questions
I got a couple of old trenchers real cheap and fixed them up. One is a Davis T78 and the other is a Davis Task Force 300. both use the Wisconsin twin cylinder engines such as the THD and TJD. Not sure...
1
1

Leaky Clausing 5914 upper hydraulic assembly solved
I don't know when it first started, but the upper hydraulic assembly of my Clausing 5914 lathe began to leak hydraulic oil, and became very rapid over the last month, especially after I changed to...
1
1

Sweat Brazing?
Needed to join two pieces of mild steel today, with minimal bead and as strong or nearly so as the parent metal. So I got each one hot, got a thin coating of brazing rod melted onto each one, then...
23
23

How to Helicoil / Ezlok when threads recessed 2" ?
Drill the hole oversize and tap the block for a larger bolt. Assuming there is adequate material it should be OK for that one position. Get it all buttoned up and running and sell the car.
7
7

Hardinge DSM-59 turret problem
I have a Hardinge DSM-59. I have a drill chuck mounted in one of the positions and had a center drill in the chuck. When I went to center drill the stock the center drill was not in the center of the...
2
2

best lube for plastic wheels on metal track
i made garage door with 5/8 wood 4x8, screwed large boket door wheels and used the same track for wheels. i would like to now what would be best for sliding wheel or best lube.
5
5

Dyna Myte 2800 manual needed
Just purchased a Dyna Myte 2800 mill and am looking for the operation and maintenance manuals for the machine. Thanks, Ken
2
2

Reloading Automation
Possible metalworking content! Ammo's difficult to find and usually expensive so any thoughts on taking a progressive press and making it as automatic as practical? I saw some interesting videos...
52
52

Why do they use 4140 for gun barrels?
That steel can get incredibly hard if it gets hot, but the barrels are not very hard at all. Why pay extra for tool steel? TIA
6
6

Is it possible to see a flying bullet?
I was at a gun range today with a friend, shooting a 9mm hand gun. When he was shooting, I was standing behind him, watching. After a few shots, I realized that I may have seen a glimpse of the...
22
22

Any opinions on Monarch CK 12 inch lathe?
The thing weighs 4800 lbs and is a 12x36 inch lathe. Made in 1951. Any opinions? Good or bad? i
11
11

Colchester Chipmaster %x20
We have a 5X20 Chipmaster at the museum where I volunteer. It has been a lovely little machine,and is very solid and ridgid for its size. We are having a problem with it at the present though, and...
2
2

Broken tap removal
Remind me to pay attention to things that don't pertain to me at the time but......... Broken 6-32 tap in a small 6061 aluminum part, hole is all the way through. Which acid to use? What strength?
12
12