Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Decorative Iron pieces and welding update!
I located and picked up some pieces at the local foundry here in town. Its all american made and prices are as cheap as anyothers I have seen for import stuff, and they carry the whole she bang load...
5
5

M code for a VMC machine
Dear friends I have bought a used VMC machine (Pollard (MV-40)) with 10 series Fanuc compiler. I bought this machine for connecting to a PC but unfortunately sellers don't have required M code for...

Lorch Junior lathe slide rest info?
Hi I'm not neccesarily into watchmaking, but I found a Lorch "Junior" watchmaker's lathe for very little money see want to keep it for tiny precision work or trade it towards a larger lathe (hopefully...
3
3

Lathe motor overcurrent
Hi, I bought a Grizzly G0516 lathe/mill about a month ago. I've run it for about 5-6 hours so far. I was using it yesterday but when I started the lathe motor, the fuse popped. I replaced the the fuse...
3
3

cleaning parts after tumbling
Sorry in advance for the length of this post.. but I will try to be as specific as possible. I have a 3 cubic foot vibratory tumbler, in which I use plastic cone shaped media. The liquid soap solution...
6
6

Replacing CNC controls
I remember there was discussion here about replacing CNC controls, but could not find it, and what controls were liked. We have an old Bridgeport in reasonably good condition that has an ancient CNC...
8
8

MS Channel or Square Pipe ?? Which is better for Structure ???
Installing structure for shed with galvalume roof top. How to calculate the material strength which is best suitable. Shed should resist with air flow at 150 km/hr I sized the wooden posts, beams and...
6
6

how to sell a Maxmat V10
My father passed away recently leaving us a Maxmiat V10 lathe, with what appears to be a lot of accessories. I would like to know how to value this machine, and where we may be able to sell it. Any...
3
3

I hard faced my shovel
I found a hard facing wire made just for the 115 volt MIG welders. It is a flux core wire so no shielding gas is used. So I hard faced the tiller tines and then did a shovel. My ground here is so full...
5
5

A Very Light Car
While KiddingNoOne continues to live in fantasy land and is in total denial of what the Chevy Volt is (An overweight, fat, pig) here is a company with a proven record of success (They won the X-Prize)...
138
138

Drag Engraving - Diamond VS Carbide
Ok... I have a spring loaded drag engraver I use occasionally for misc jobs. I originally used diamond tipped stylus in it, but the diamond tip would snap off on some pretty insignificant...
4
4

R2E4 top-end rebuild redux
Done! It was not fearsome, just took a while. About $800 worth of parts, including a new motor shaft. It's so quiet now, at 1500rpm, I can hold a normal conversation 4' from the spindle without...
5
5

boxford little giant tool post grinder
Hi all, I have a pristine condition toolpost grinder for sale, with all original accessories. contact me on nigel(dot)wildgust(AT)ntlworld(dot)com for photo and any more details. thanks Nigel

Aftermarket Power feed
I bought a power feed for my milling machine from CDCO of Tower Road Schaumburg , Illinois . Being in Australia I recieved it about 10 days after I paid the invoice. On opening the box I noticed the...
21
21

alternative collets/endmills for a tom senior
Does SKS know if there are alternative collets for the Tom Senior mill that will take Weldon, or plain, shank endmills? The local High School here in Burns Lake, British Columbia is finding it...
8
8

Hurco MPU upgrade
I have a Hurco KMB1 3 axis mill that needs upgrading from a "B" contol to a "Bx", mainly so I can send G code to it. The B controller works fine. Does anyone have feedback on the upgrade boards and,...
3
3

How to align Kurt clone Jaws
I need to align new jaws for my 6" Kurt clone. Jaw's lower end is not sitting against ways. Bottom of jaws is about 1/8 from ways. Jaw top and bottom are not quite parallel. Is there any procedure to...
9
9

CNC Lathe retrofit idea
I have an idea for making a motorized ball screw carriage & cross slide that I can secure to a lathe bed. I was thinking of taking something like a steel rectangle 3/4 - 1" thick X 6" wide X 24" long...
3
3

More advice needed: Cincinatti 12x36 "Tray-Lathe"
Many thanks for the helpful input you all have given me via an earlier thread. I've gotten a response to some inquiries for a local lathe, and would very much appreciate your input on this: ----------...
19
19

D1-6 Chuck
When mounting a collett chuck on a lathe with a D1-6 mount, just what is tweaked to get the closer to run true? Is the closer supposed to be pulled back flush to the lathe spindle plate or ride on the...
8
8