Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

stupid allen head screws on Eagle Alloy Mag center caps
I had some fun this evening - removing the bolt-on center caps from my Eagle Torque Thrust style mag wheels. Like the "original" American Racing Torque Thust, the cap fastens with 5 screws. Eagle usis...
22
22

Jackson vertical mill - information?
I'm going to look at a Jackson vertical mill tomorrow night. I've not found out much about them. It appears they were a WW2-era machine, and probably BS#9 spindle taper. Does anyone here have any...
2
2

Small welding blanket
I would like to buy a small welding blanket (maybe 5x5 or so). The purpose of it would be shielding flammable stuff from welding spatter. I am a little dazzled by various choices, for example on...
8
8

Cutting fluid?
I have just purchased a new 7X12 metal cutting bandsaw, and I can't seem to find any good information about what cutting fluid or coolant to use. Roger I've been using Houghton HOcut 795cu water...
14
14

Drill Press Repair
My father-in-law has well broken in drill press that he wants me to repair. He told me it was built in 1918. It says "CANEDY OTTO MFG CO" on the side of the column. Flat belt driven. Has a...
5
5

grounding fuel drums
I keep 3 to 5 drums of fuel in a storage container. This "sea can" is very well vented and stays close to outside air temp (does not get humid, etc). I recently rec'd a friendly email reminding us...
15
15

Profile cutting lathe bit
I have some aluminum "A" belt profile V belt pulleys to make from 6061 T6. Could the grooves be plunge cut (one at a time) with a single cutter ground to an A groove profile? The lathe I have is a...
4
4

Ground flat stock?
I'm wanting to make a cross slide for a CNC lathe conversion similar to OmniTurn units. The basic idea is to mount THK linear rails on steel flat stock to make a cross slide. I have questions within...
4
4

Bursting speed of flywheels (and overspun ball bearings)
Machinery Handbook has long had a section of flywheels. In the 20th edition, on page 346, states that all that matters is surface speed at the periphery, and the tensile strength of the steel, and...
20
20

Clarke bandsaw parts
My Clarke brand 4 1/2" bandsaw just gave up the ghost. The driven gear in the gearbox is smooth as a baby's backside in several spots, and the teeth are sharp as knives in others. Does anyone know...
2
2

Lathe identification
I just got a small lathe, about 12 inches, with no name, logo or other markings. Can anyone tell me what I have or tell me where I might find information about it. It can be seen at: - Charles Looks...
4
4

Delta 17" drill press spindle configurations exposed!
I've posted some sales lit illustrating the spindle/bearing arrangement used on the Delta/Rockwell 17" drill presses. Explains the whys including a very nice exploded diagram and can be found in the...

campbell hausfeld mig conversion kit
there is a listing on ebay for a mig conversion kit for a campbell hausfeld welder. I have a campbell hausfeld welder that I use with the flux core and it works pretty good. What benefits would this...

Seltzer Bottle adaptor?
Anyone ever consider making an adaptor for a seltzer bottle so it can be charged from a real CO2 cylinder? These little ISI cartriges are starting to cost as much as the cheap Scotch I drink. Do a...
25
25

Sawzall blade weldability question
Greetings all, O.K., it is actually a Morse brand reciprocating saw blade, but you get the idea. :) I have the need to weld,(TIG) said blade to a piece of 16 ga. CRS to form a serrated edge for...
4
4