Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Reclaiming Harbor Freight milling Machine
Hi all, I picked up a Harbor Freight milling machine like this, has some pretty heavy surface rust on a lot of it. Is there a method to start the rust removal, I don't know if I should start with a...
6
6

Insane Toolbox
No, its not one of those two story monstrosities with its own staircase. Its cheap. Even if it was the low quality of the old HF tool boxes I don't see how it could be so cheap.
3
3

Machine Shop niche areas
I met a guy at the local scrap yard. He was dumping a couple of 55 gal drums of swarf. He invited me to see has shop and I have since visited his shop a number of times. He has had the shop for about...
13
13

AIR BLAST For Steel Milling
I was milling some parts yesterday on the Hurco. Some steel parts. I was using AlTin coated carbide mills. The parts looked ok, and the chips looked good. Mostly blue with a few silver chips. The...
11
11

My Dalton lathe
Recently picked up this late, just learning how to use it any info on no model number Tag any info on it would be greatly appreciated thank you PolyTech Forum PolyTech Forum...
2
2

Easiest/cheapest way/tool to bend small steel flat bar?
On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 13:25:47 -0500, Terry Coombs
45
45

losing colors after waxing a heat-patina on steel
Hi there- I'm very new to metalworking and am just finishing my first big project, a city skyline silhouetted offset from a background, all comprising sheet met al steel. To create contrast, I used an...
6
6

PAM Cooking Spray
I installed a new stove a couple weeks ago in the house. It was no big deal. The most stressful part was making sure it was jetted and regulated for LP gas instead of natural gas. I left off (a...
10
10

Engine oil burning mystery
The engine is in a 1990s Honda H5013 tractor. This is a small tractor with a 13 HP air cooled engine. The tractor sat for 5 years in my brother's yard without being started or moved . My son went down...
7
7

Hydraulics help please
I have a 90 something Honda H5013 4wd tractor. It's a small tractor as tractors go but it is a real workhorse. Anyway, it has a 4 foot dozer blade that has 3 positions, left, right, and center. I...
43
43

Here's how to quit a bad job!
This is a video about supporting unions and workers' rights. For more of my music, writing, and organizing, follow at https://www.twitter.com/joeyquits and https://instagram.com/laneve__ UPDATE 2017:...
1
1

Replacing CNC controls
I remember there was discussion here about replacing CNC controls, but could not find it, and what controls were liked. We have an old Bridgeport in reasonably good condition that has an ancient CNC...
8
8

A beautiful sight
At least to me beautiful. Saturday I turned a bunch of aluminum castings for a customer. They are about 5 inches long and 2.375 diameter with a bunch of grooves and a 4 inch diameter flange on one...
2
2

Longitudinal feed gear
I have a 24-150. The longitudinal gear is worn and needs replacing. Anyone know where one is?
1
1

Granite countertop edges
My granite counter top in the kitchen has about a 1/16" radius edge. Big mistake! now the edge has a number of little chips out of it. I wonder if there is a way to fix without removing it and sending...
9
9

Cute Childs Milling Machine
Nice little mill for the closet shop. Best Regards Tom. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Childs-Co-No-0000-Milling-Machine/372261058245?hash=item56ac7cf6c5:g:Eo8AAOSwcxVauuBr

Propane tanks - 5 gallon - recomended sources?
Decided I need a new/second tank - standard five gallon one each. Any comments, recommendations on where is a good source. There is the Blue Rhino stand at Safeway, but what is consensus? -- pyotr...
11
11