Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

mini backhoe - collecting materials and ideas to make one
I am trying to collect material and ideas in order to make a mini backhoe. I may never make one, but I am proceeding on the grounds that I will. Before starting in on how I should just buy a real...
73
73

Opinions sought-most flexible air hose
I'm sure some folks here will agree on a particular brand, at least I hope so. I am looking for the most flexible and lightest 1/4 I.D. air hose. The hose is to be used in my machine shop so it must...
6
6

Craftsman Club member letter from Sears
It is a little old, but likely coming of age! :-) Seems that Sears is tired of hunting down companies that would make a line of tools for them. Every few years the product line would be changed as the...
3
3

Washing Machine Motors - What a Difference From Mom's Old Washing Machine
Just for the heck of it I decided to tear down our old washing machine to see what might be salvageable. For parts. Not much really. There is a little tiny servo for the detergent dispenser. Doesn't...
14
14

Iggy Old Military Manuals
Do you by any chance have one on a compressor from The Cornelius Co out of Minneapolis Minnesota? The compressor is a 130RO300-8. I was told it was last being used as a scuba tank compressor, but it...
1
1

bending 5 foot dia circles of 1/2 or 3/4 EMT pipe
I would like to make some 360 degree hoops of either 1/2 EMT, or preferably 3/4 EMT for a model RR project ( helix construction). Would like to get approx 60" dia circle. Can you tell me how I might...
12
12

Rust conversion in practical use.
I got involved in a Honey Do. My wife uses a walk behind fertilizer spreader, she has taken very good care of it, washing off the corrosive fertilizer after each use. But the other day she pointed out...
5
5

Hydroforming with a pressure washer
Do your friends think that your metalworking hobby is a boring old thing fo r phlegmatic, antiquarian farts? If so, let them watch this loon build a pu lse jet, hydroforming it with an ordinary...
13
13

RIP Kurt Lochner
I often support him too. I just haven't been following his disagreements with you because I don't have any personal gripes against you. But I already know that he's a brilliant guy who's usually...
37
37

Jigs for scale (or just tiny) projects
I work in a number of mediums from metal and wood to clay and paints but wh at ever I am doing it is always SMALL. In 1:12 scale to be precise. I am also a stickler for accuracy and detail to achieve...
3
3

Best Electric Drill For Daughter?
My daughter just bought her first house about 40 miles away. She is very handy, but I need to give her some or her own tools so she stops borrowing mine... 1st item is a small(ish) 3/8" electric...
14
14

Got a look inside the TIG 200 welder
I was fortunate to get a look inside the new Lincoln TIG 200. I was very impressed by the workmanship and the appearance of the components. There is a circuit board that is so large it covers...

Which one is better? PUNCH PRESS VS LASER
I am little confused about these two methods for a sheet metal process. I thought the laser has more advantages than conventional punch press in sheet metal industry like precision cutting and faster...
26
26

Using a ball-check oiler for an air tool
I have a air angle grinder that I have a permanent hose whip on (to eliminate the quick-connect fittings & make it more maneuverable). The problem is, to oil the grinder I put the oil in the end of...
20
20

9/16" hex shank chuck arbor?
Anybody know where bits or arbors to fit a Skil 732 Roto-hammer can be found? Bought it with a few bits for $50, now that it seems to work it'd be nice to add one or two newer bits and maybe a chuck...
8
8

Rimless cartridge question
I know, it's a nutty idea but I designed a centerfire .22 round. Dunno yet whether I'll ever make any because it also means modifying a bolt or making a new one for one of my .22 while eating lunch...
46
46

Gear cutting hob
I need to make a 32t helical gear to mate with my 8TPI acme leadscrew. I ha ve a couple of questions for those here who know way more than I do. I need to mill slots into my 8TPI acme blank. It's just...
10
10

Birmingham DLC-16120 lathe quality
I bought this lathe from a company who is a friend of my company. It is a Birmingham DLC-16120 lathe. It seems to be really nice and loaded. It is 16x120. It has a 4 1/8" bore (HUGE), power...
6
6

Best epoxy for adhesion?
I'm repairing an crank handle for a nice old tripod. The handle is made of some sort of black plastic, and the bit made to repair (reinforce across the break) it is steel. The steel bit sits inside...
9
9

Why did this grease turn to glue?
I have an old (1935) Kitchen Aid mixer that needed re-greasing about 15 years ago. I could tell because it was having a hard time starting up. So I took it apart and cleaned every last trace of the...
16
16