Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Rust conversion in practical use.
I got involved in a Honey Do. My wife uses a walk behind fertilizer spreader, she has taken very good care of it, washing off the corrosive fertilizer after each use. But the other day she pointed out...
5
5

Hydroforming with a pressure washer
Do your friends think that your metalworking hobby is a boring old thing fo r phlegmatic, antiquarian farts? If so, let them watch this loon build a pu lse jet, hydroforming it with an ordinary...
13
13

RIP Kurt Lochner
From his family's page: On Saturday May 13, 2017 after battling with a very bad cold for the past 2 weeks, Kurt Harrington left our world. On May 11, 2017 he was exhibiting n ewer symptoms, of which...
37
37

Jigs for scale (or just tiny) projects
I work in a number of mediums from metal and wood to clay and paints but wh at ever I am doing it is always SMALL. In 1:12 scale to be precise. I am also a stickler for accuracy and detail to achieve...
3
3

Best Electric Drill For Daughter?
My daughter just bought her first house about 40 miles away. She is very handy, but I need to give her some or her own tools so she stops borrowing mine... 1st item is a small(ish) 3/8" electric...
14
14

Got a look inside the TIG 200 welder
I was fortunate to get a look inside the new Lincoln TIG 200. I was very impressed by the workmanship and the appearance of the components. There is a circuit board that is so large it covers...

Which one is better? PUNCH PRESS VS LASER
I am little confused about these two methods for a sheet metal process. I thought the laser has more advantages than conventional punch press in sheet metal industry like precision cutting and faster...
26
26

Using a ball-check oiler for an air tool
I have a air angle grinder that I have a permanent hose whip on (to eliminate the quick-connect fittings & make it more maneuverable). The problem is, to oil the grinder I put the oil in the end of...
20
20

tried to machine titanium
onlinemetals was having a sale so I got a foot of 1/2" titanium round in "grade 2", whatever that is. I tried it out on the Sherline lathe. The stuff makes stainless steel look like brass. Never seen...
28
28

9/16" hex shank chuck arbor?
Anybody know where bits or arbors to fit a Skil 732 Roto-hammer can be found? Bought it with a few bits for $50, now that it seems to work it'd be nice to add one or two newer bits and maybe a chuck...
8
8

Rimless cartridge question
I know, it's a nutty idea but I designed a centerfire .22 round. Dunno yet whether I'll ever make any because it also means modifying a bolt or making a new one for one of my .22 while eating lunch...
46
46

Gear cutting hob
I need to make a 32t helical gear to mate with my 8TPI acme leadscrew. I ha ve a couple of questions for those here who know way more than I do. I need to mill slots into my 8TPI acme blank. It's just...
10
10

Birmingham DLC-16120 lathe quality
I bought this lathe from a company who is a friend of my company. It is a Birmingham DLC-16120 lathe. It seems to be really nice and loaded. It is 16x120. It has a 4 1/8" bore (HUGE), power...
6
6

Best epoxy for adhesion?
I'm repairing an crank handle for a nice old tripod. The handle is made of some sort of black plastic, and the bit made to repair (reinforce across the break) it is steel. The steel bit sits inside...
9
9

Why did this grease turn to glue?
I have an old (1935) Kitchen Aid mixer that needed re-greasing about 15 years ago. I could tell because it was having a hard time starting up. So I took it apart and cleaned every last trace of the...
16
16

air compressor dog house
This 7.5 Hp Quincy air compressor followed me home from the auction: Trouble is, I already got two pounds of sh*t in a one pound box when it comes to shop space. Anybody ever put the air compressor in...
23
23

mig shielding gas used for hvac?
Thinking about getting house ac unit replaced and using current hvac for my garage/shop. I know nitrogen is typically used in hvac for brazing copper line sets and for pressure testing. Can i use my...
1
1

Volvo's supercharger + turbocharger
For the gearheads: If you think that engines are getting too complicated, you'll want to take a look at Volvo's T6 engine. It has both a mechanical supercharger and a turbocharger. This has been in...
36
36

garage door lubricant
What is a good lubricant for garage door rollers jesus - could you possibly be more passive about obtaining information? Dry dusty areas - Teflon based dry lube spray Reasonably dust free areas -...
89
89

More people step up and admit 3D printing is over-hyped
The world has changed and many have had enough of Pay 4 Play liars like slow eddy. ================ These sites may be of interest enjoy I dunno Jon, I read your Linkedin page, and I didn't see any...
12
12