Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Army issue 1942 model HK Smith-Drum Extension-Gap lathe with owner/parts manual
My boss had it in a storage shed. He was sold a small import lathe by a machinery company. The salesman told him you couldn't get parts or a belt for the old Smith-Drum. Anyway, I had vacations days...
1
1

Who here knows old Cushman chucks?
I have an old Cushman chuck. It may have been made as long ago as 1899. I have emailed Cushman about this chuck, trying to date it, but haven't heard back from them. It is about 4.300 diameter and is...
1
1

Tapping 6-32 in aluminum
I have an aluminum heatsink that I need to tap , I wanted to know if I should use 6-32 or some less coarse thread like 8-32 would be better? Ignoramus10114 fired this volley in news: What's the...
98
98

Clausing drill press followup
I went ahead and grabbed the Clausing 15" drill press. It's an olive green 16VT-1 series one with the variable speed belt contraption, and goes from 500 to 4000 RPM as it's the fast version. Serial...
46
46

Advice please-oil for old 2 stroke engine
I have an engine that's nearly 100 years old. It is a two stroke water cooled made by Cady. The oil type for it that's stamped on the brass label is Gargoyle/Mobiloil "A". The mix ratio is 1 pint per...
6
6

Replacing the Arbor Bearings in a Delta Homecraft 8² Table Saw
I have an old Delta Homecraft 8-inch Bench Model Tilting Arbor Saw that my father bought used in the 1950s. This saw is a patchwork quilt of components, the core being made by Delta, the wings having...
28
28

Volstro speed increaser
I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture here: It has a straight 3/4" shank. What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact CNC mill for high speed work...
15
15

replace panel sheet on Mitutoyo DRO ?
I have a Mitutoyo DRO on my lathe where the plastic sheet that covers and labels the buttons has cracked and is falling apart. It is a PL-325L, and there's a picture of it here I'm guessing this DRO...
3
3

Tractor Tales
The patient will live ! I've been working on his thing all week , today I fired it up and checked out the transmission . Motor runs but needs plugs and the correct type of ignition coil , trans goes...
19
19

Skunk Works Reveals Compact Fusion Reactor Details
We have been seeing little detail-free teasers that Lockheed-Martin's Skunk Works had come up with a new approach to hydrogen fusion. The article came in the 15 October 2014 issue of Aviation Week, on...
9
9

Calibrate a flowmeter?
One of my flowmeters needs to be rebuilt. It is a Victor, the kit is available, and I know which part needs replacing. What I don't know is whether the flow gauge itself is made to operate at 25 PSI...
4
4

"Y D" marking on flat head cpa screw?
Flat head hex socket cap screws, 1/2" coarse thread, black finish. What, if anything, should the marking on the head, "Y D" tell me about the grade of the screw? (Not old bolts; bought new circa...
15
15

OT: Commercial truck automatic transmission shifting
Hi all - I know this is a bit off topic for metalworking (or maybe I'm trying to avoid a catastrophic failure that would require metalworking?) but this group seems to know something about...
6
6

Logan 1100004-T lathe home
We got the Logan lathe loaded and trailered back to the shop today without incident. I'm not going to convert it, just restore it. It's in almost cherry condition except for the paint and the...
22
22

Nested eccentric cams
Is there a simple set of relationships or formula for one eccentric inside another? I'm trying to figure out how to use a mounting bolt through the inside one so it can be moved as though along a...
1
1

how to change original bridgeport feed to new servo unit
I have an old Bridgeport machine 1968 1hp with the old style feed for the table .I'ts to slow at 9 1/2 ipm I want to change it to a new servo power feed.What modifications do I need to do?
1
1

Does any adhesive/sealant stick to titanium?
For corrosion protection I need to waterproof the junction where a nickel and a titanium sheet are bolted together (for an electrical connection). Part of the titanium sheet will be exposed to sea...
11
11

$2 garage sale oxy-acetylene cutting torch
I finally dug out the $2 garage sale Craftsman (really Harris) oxy-acetylene cutting torch. It came with a cutting head of unknown size which I just cleaned out and #7 torch tip. It passes the soapy...
15
15

Gold Plating Plastic
Is there an affordable way to DIY gold plate plastic? Needs to be gold plating, can be stingy, ok to use some kind of base coat or base layer. A little extra work and or creative scrounging is ok, but...
20
20

Centec 2A machine table rack lever
I have just got a Centec 2A horizontal milling machine and I noticed that the lever for racking the machine table is constantly engaged. I understood that when using the lead screw the racking lever...
1
1