Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Why did this grease turn to glue?
I have an old (1935) Kitchen Aid mixer that needed re-greasing about 15 years ago. I could tell because it was having a hard time starting up. So I took it apart and cleaned every last trace of the...
16
16

air compressor dog house
This 7.5 Hp Quincy air compressor followed me home from the auction: Trouble is, I already got two pounds of sh*t in a one pound box when it comes to shop space. Anybody ever put the air compressor in...
23
23

mig shielding gas used for hvac?
Thinking about getting house ac unit replaced and using current hvac for my garage/shop. I know nitrogen is typically used in hvac for brazing copper line sets and for pressure testing. Can i use my...
1
1

Volvo's supercharger + turbocharger
For the gearheads: If you think that engines are getting too complicated, you'll want to take a look at Volvo's T6 engine. It has both a mechanical supercharger and a turbocharger. This has been in...
36
36

garage door lubricant
What is a good lubricant for garage door rollers
89
89

More people step up and admit 3D printing is over-hyped
================ These sites may be of interest enjoy http://tinyurl.com/p2c92ln http://tinyurl.com/nol5lkc This new 3D printing technology by Carbon 3d looks like science fiction. But it's entirely...
12
12

Army issue 1942 model HK Smith-Drum Extension-Gap lathe with owner/parts manual
Looks great, belts are easy to make. i
1
1

Who here knows old Cushman chucks?
I have an old Cushman chuck. It may have been made as long ago as 1899. I have emailed Cushman about this chuck, trying to date it, but haven't heard back from them. It is about 4.300 diameter and is...
1
1

Tapping 6-32 in aluminum
I have an aluminum heatsink that I need to tap , I wanted to know if I should use 6-32 or some less coarse thread like 8-32 would be better?
98
98

Clausing drill press followup
I went ahead and grabbed the Clausing 15" drill press. It's an olive green 16VT-1 series one with the variable speed belt contraption, and goes from 500 to 4000 RPM as it's the fast version. Serial...
46
46

Advice please-oil for old 2 stroke engine
I have an engine that's nearly 100 years old. It is a two stroke water cooled made by Cady. The oil type for it that's stamped on the brass label is Gargoyle/Mobiloil "A". The mix ratio is 1 pint per...
6
6

Replacing the Arbor Bearings in a Delta Homecraft 8² Table Saw
I have an old Delta Homecraft 8-inch Bench Model Tilting Arbor Saw that my father bought used in the 1950s. This saw is a patchwork quilt of components, the core being made by Delta, the wings having...
28
28

Volstro speed increaser
I bought this speed increaser at auction. You can see the picture here: It has a straight 3/4" shank. What I was hoping, is to be able to use it in my Bridgeport Interact CNC mill for high speed work...
15
15

replace panel sheet on Mitutoyo DRO ?
I have a Mitutoyo DRO on my lathe where the plastic sheet that covers and labels the buttons has cracked and is falling apart. It is a PL-325L, and there's a picture of it here I'm guessing this DRO...
3
3

MOT question
I just salvaged a transformer from a microwave and have a question about the secondary windings . This one has 2 , one apparently a low voltage since it has relatively few windings
63
63

Tractor Tales
The patient will live ! I've been working on his thing all week , today I fired it up and checked out the transmission . Motor runs but needs plugs and the correct type of ignition coil , trans goes...
19
19

Skunk Works Reveals Compact Fusion Reactor Details
We have been seeing little detail-free teasers that Lockheed-Martin's Skunk Works had come up with a new approach to hydrogen fusion. The article came in the 15 October 2014 issue of Aviation Week, on...
9
9

Calibrate a flowmeter?
One of my flowmeters needs to be rebuilt. It is a Victor, the kit is available, and I know which part needs replacing. What I don't know is whether the flow gauge itself is made to operate at 25 PSI...
4
4

"Y D" marking on flat head cpa screw?
Flat head hex socket cap screws, 1/2" coarse thread, black finish. What, if anything, should the marking on the head, "Y D" tell me about the grade of the screw? (Not old bolts; bought new circa...
15
15

OT: Commercial truck automatic transmission shifting
Hi all - I know this is a bit off topic for metalworking (or maybe I'm trying to avoid a catastrophic failure that would require metalworking?) but this group seems to know something about...
6
6