Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Logan 1100004-T lathe home
We got the Logan lathe loaded and trailered back to the shop today without incident. I'm not going to convert it, just restore it. It's in almost cherry condition except for the paint and the...
22
22

Nested eccentric cams
Is there a simple set of relationships or formula for one eccentric inside another? I'm trying to figure out how to use a mounting bolt through the inside one so it can be moved as though along a...
1
1

how to change original bridgeport feed to new servo unit
I have an old Bridgeport machine 1968 1hp with the old style feed for the table .I'ts to slow at 9 1/2 ipm I want to change it to a new servo power feed.What modifications do I need to do?
1
1

Does any adhesive/sealant stick to titanium?
For corrosion protection I need to waterproof the junction where a nickel and a titanium sheet are bolted together (for an electrical connection). Part of the titanium sheet will be exposed to sea...
11
11

$2 garage sale oxy-acetylene cutting torch
I finally dug out the $2 garage sale Craftsman (really Harris) oxy-acetylene cutting torch. It came with a cutting head of unknown size which I just cleaned out and #7 torch tip. It passes the soapy...
15
15

Gold Plating Plastic
Is there an affordable way to DIY gold plate plastic? Needs to be gold plating, can be stingy, ok to use some kind of base coat or base layer. A little extra work and or creative scrounging is ok, but...
20
20

Centec 2A machine table rack lever
I have just got a Centec 2A horizontal milling machine and I noticed that the lever for racking the machine table is constantly engaged. I understood that when using the lead screw the racking lever...
1
1

engie oil leak hyster lift truck
hyster lift truck s40xms mazda 2.0 engine oil leak at bottom bell housing inspection port replaced rear main seal and oil pan gasket sill have leak engie has 27000 hr on it
5
5

Purging hydraulic system (water in oil)
I own a semi trailer with a hydraulic beavertail. It has several hydraulic cylinders and a hydraulic winch. We run it using a hydraulic unit that we made with a Honda engine that replaced the electric...
8
8

Silver solder 12L14?
I have a 5 hp leaf blower that has an aluminum hub for the fan/impeller. It has wallowed out, both in the keyway and bore, so I decided to make a new one from steel. I had a piece of 12L14 that was...
2
2

Boring out Atlas Lathe headstock?
Has anyone ever bored out the headstock of an Atlas 10" or 12" lathe? I know it would ruin the #3 Morse taper in the headstock, but I seldom use it. Besides, I have both a 10F and a 12" Craftsman. If...
5
5

What parts to salvage from a Boyar Schultz 612 Deluxe
I have a Boyar Schultz 612 grinder. While it works, except for the electromagnetic chuck power supply, it is in a rough visual condition and I likely will not be able to sell it for much over scrap...
14
14

RC car or tank type platform for building a robot
My 12 year old is enrolled in science olympiad competition. He has to make a robot that will pick up a tennis ball and move it somewhere else. It is limited to 30cm in any dimension, so RC tanks would...
18
18

SideWinder Vise Attachment
All: Just saw this just today, they've supposedly been out for about a year or so. Neat idea IMO. A lot of second op work on the end of long parts i s done with large heavy angle plates, indicated...
12
12

Best air gas leak detection fluid
What is the best air gas leak detection fluid (other than just soapy water)? I see Ace has 2 OZ for $4. Another (LDF) wants $20 for a small bottle. Neither sounds sexy or reasonable to me.
19
19

Best hold in thin alumium?
I have a problem holding thin aluminum, about .080", together for a period of 3 - 4 months in an outdoor environment. I have tried drilling and taping with # 8, 10, 12, fine & course thread machine...
61
61

Milwaukee Hole Hawg handle replacement
Have an old one from the early 70s that still runs. On line replacement part lookup at Milwaukee shows the handle as obsolete. As is the next newer variation in the late 70s... Current model is of...
5
5

Need to duplicate an old flat spring
I need to duplicate an old flat spring but need to match the hardness or flex. The "spring" is just a small flat piece, 3/16" wide, 1-1/2" long and .005" thick. It goes to a 1900's vintage device so...
52
52

How to operate HYBCO TAP GRINDER 1100
I have purchased one used Hybco 1100 tap grinder _specially for Right Hand relieving the taps Chamfer _. But it is relieving only Left hand chamfer on the tap. I want Right hand relieve on the chamfer...

Cutting railroad rail with a bandsaw
As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers), I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad service before, and after that they were used for some custom...
52
52