Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Bught an interesting 1944 Monarch lathe 16x54
This is a 16 (16 inch real swing) by 54 inch Monarch lathe. What is interesting about it is that it has very little wear. So little, in fact, that I could not discern any significant amount of wear....
42
42

Damaged Miller Bobcat 250 propane powered welder
At an auction, I bought this damaged Miller Bobcat 250 welder that had a mounting provision for a propane tank on the rear. As you can see, the welder was clearly dropped and looks bad. However, even...
21
21

How to remove an underslung bridge crane
This bridge crane is a 2 ton, 15' span bridge crane that is underslung, meaning that it rides under the I-beams comprising its runway. I bought it at an auction with the electrified runway. And I am...
18
18

Endless lathe chips (re-adjusted the clutch on a Clausing 6913 lathe)
I finally got around and re-adjusted the clutch on the Clausing 6913 lathe. (13x48). The clutch was previously slipping and I could only make the lightest of cuts. Now, the clutch no longer slips when...
53
53

Converting Anilam Crusader II to LinuxCNC
I'm well on my way to converting my Anilam Crusader II Bridgeport to LinuxCNC. I converted a Crusader M Lathe to LinuxCNC a few years back. I'm trying to make the new control very close to a plug in...
2
2

Chrome silicon steel for firearm recoil springs
I never heard of chrome-silicon steel, but ran across an article in Defense Tech Briefs (page 10 of the April 2013 issue) talking about the use of this steel in places where there wasn't enough space...
15
15

Blacken Stainless Steel Patina Darken Metal Finishes
I've tried some retail store cold bluing products on cold & hot rolled steel parts, and have seen the sketchy results which weren't impressive. I was looking for a cold method to darken a small...
24
24

How the heck do you weld around a circumference?
Welcome to the joys and tribulations of aircraft construction. At least you are welding to a square tube and don't have to fish-mouth the joints. (Count your blessings!). I've always done this kind of...
32
32

pulleys R us
I need a pulley, no go in grainger, MSC, and mcmaster carr. where would you try next? If it matters, "A" only(or 4L) size belt (everybody has went to dual A and B on same pulley), 3.15" OD, two...
13
13

Hougen Magnetic Drill Question
I picked up a Hougen Magnetic drill (Model #10904) a while back for a project where I needed to make about 1600-1700 5/16" diamter holes through a 3/8" thick 1-1/2' x 2' mild steel plate, because that...

Removing Integral Shower Drain Question
No success Googling this one, so I thought I'd try here. I have to fix a leaking shower drain pipe in an upstate lodge. There is an economy type plastic shower drain pan which appears to be fitted...
14
14

Need Schematic for Hitachi Seiki VA 35
Anybody have a schematic for a Hitachi Seiki VA 35? Tom Brewer, you still have yours? This guy is looking for the schematic "Thanks for talking to me today, much appreciated. I need a schematic manual...
4
4

Denham lathe pictures
[IMG] at the back of the lathe [IMG] Denham makers name [IMG] view towards tailstock [IMG] General view towards headstock

compression gauge puzzler
The gauge on my old compression tester decided it had served well enough af ter several years of non-use, it's demise helped along by a good dose of ru st. I needed one for a project car I just...
48
48

Strange steel that is very hard to cut with a bandsaw
My small bandsaw with a Starrett blade works extremely well to cut regular steel. I have been cutting a lot of 4-6 inch rouds without a problem. Everything else, that looks funky, I test with a file...
16
16

Best carbide lapping method?
I have been grinding and lapping carbide tools by hand for over 30 years. I have gotten pretty good at it. But with the relatively newer micrograin carbides it is possible to buy carbide inserts for...
14
14

Portable non-electric Steam Cleaner
How can I build a steam cleaner to carry with me in my truck (big semi tractor trailer)? I would like to use it to clean oil, dirt and grime before working on the truck. You can buy one, no need to...
11
11

"IIRC"?
What does "IIRC" stand for? I have seen term used on "Basic Machinist Tool Lists". Thanks, Tom Zumann Tom Zumann wrote in news:b71cc$50dc8306$43de0cc0$ "If I Recall Correctly" or "If I Remember...
5
5

Google plus metalworking community
For those that have a Google plus login, I've created a 'metalworking community' that hopefully will become a more on-topic version of this newsgroup. (I guess time will tell if Google's automatic...
16
16

Fastener Control
I have about four 5 gallon buckets of fasteners. Plus half empty boxes. Plus coffee cans. Plus, plus, plus. I got fasteners coming out of the woodwork like cockroaches. I bought six very nice sized...
7
7