Best Rated threads in ⏣ General Metalworkingshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Allen-Bradley 7320 control for sale
Thanks! The 7320 is a pretty ancient control, from about 1978. Not compatible with the 8500. I'd like to see these boards (and there are a LOT of them) get some use rather than be scrapped. Jon
29
29

Welding with ol' Rog?
Wanted to send the link to this article to my stepson in AU who is a welder, can't find it. Used to be on the Ageless Iron section of Agriculture Online, but can't find it there. Appears to now be...
2
2

What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle? - Photo
In "What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle?" posted on 14 June 2013 to RCM, I asked if anybody could identify a steady rest with 80-degree included angle Vee-flat ways. I now...
7
7

Micrometer on Craigslist
15
15

MEC BROWN CUT OFF SAW
Can any one help, we are trying to find a 2 speed rotary switch for a Mec Brown 75 cut off saw. the info we have is that it is an "Ergo two speed switch VDE 0660" 415 volt 50h
2
2

proper way to use a lock washer?
When using a nut, lock washer and bolt, should you also use a flat washer between the object and the lock washer? I have seen it done a million times that way but it seems the flat washer defeats the...
24
24

Bught an interesting 1944 Monarch lathe 16x54
This is a 16 (16 inch real swing) by 54 inch Monarch lathe. What is interesting about it is that it has very little wear. So little, in fact, that I could not discern any significant amount of wear....
42
42

Damaged Miller Bobcat 250 propane powered welder
At an auction, I bought this damaged Miller Bobcat 250 welder that had a mounting provision for a propane tank on the rear. As you can see, the welder was clearly dropped and looks bad. However, even...
21
21

How to remove an underslung bridge crane
This bridge crane is a 2 ton, 15' span bridge crane that is underslung, meaning that it rides under the I-beams comprising its runway. I bought it at an auction with the electrified runway. And I am...
18
18

Converting Anilam Crusader II to LinuxCNC
I'm well on my way to converting my Anilam Crusader II Bridgeport to LinuxCNC. I converted a Crusader M Lathe to LinuxCNC a few years back. I'm trying to make the new control very close to a plug in...
2
2

Chrome silicon steel for firearm recoil springs
I never heard of chrome-silicon steel, but ran across an article in Defense Tech Briefs (page 10 of the April 2013 issue) talking about the use of this steel in places where there wasn't enough space...
15
15

Blacken Stainless Steel Patina Darken Metal Finishes
I've tried some retail store cold bluing products on cold & hot rolled steel parts, and have seen the sketchy results which weren't impressive. I was looking for a cold method to darken a small...
24
24

How the heck do you weld around a circumference?
Hello, I am working on an exercise contraption that has a number of pieces of horizontal pipe, welded on the main structure, which provide a convenient place to hang the weight plates when they are...
32
32

pulleys R us
I need a pulley, no go in grainger, MSC, and mcmaster carr. where would you try next? If it matters, "A" only(or 4L) size belt (everybody has went to dual A and B on same pulley), 3.15" OD, two...
13
13

Hougen Magnetic Drill Question
I picked up a Hougen Magnetic drill (Model #10904) a while back for a project where I needed to make about 1600-1700 5/16" diamter holes through a 3/8" thick 1-1/2' x 2' mild steel plate, because that...

Removing Integral Shower Drain Question
No success Googling this one, so I thought I'd try here. I have to fix a leaking shower drain pipe in an upstate lodge. There is an economy type plastic shower drain pan which appears to be fitted...
14
14

Need Schematic for Hitachi Seiki VA 35
Are you sure you want to go with that nym? In German the word for ass (backside, not the donkey) is Arsch. In the dialect that I speak, we leave out the 'r', and the word becomes Asch. You probably...
4
4

Denham lathe pictures
[IMG] at the back of the lathe [IMG] Denham makers name [IMG] view towards tailstock [IMG] General view towards headstock http://www.polytechforum.com/img/2x/IMG...

compression gauge puzzler
The gauge on my old compression tester decided it had served well enough af ter several years of non-use, it's demise helped along by a good dose of ru st. I needed one for a project car I just...
48
48

Strange steel that is very hard to cut with a bandsaw
My small bandsaw with a Starrett blade works extremely well to cut regular steel. I have been cutting a lot of 4-6 inch rouds without a problem. Everything else, that looks funky, I test with a file...
16
16