Big home made steel vacuum chamber, It works :)

Greetings All,
Well it took nearly 6 months to fabricate, nearly 160 hours of labor, and cost a little over $250 (not including pumping station) but the
new vacuum chamber coated its first optics today :)))
Here's a link to some images: http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Projects/Chamber/First_Coating/page_01.htm
Ron Jones (in the green shirt) is the owner of the 22" optic being coated, and a major force in getting the chamber up and running. (And yes, that is a 3/4" thick optic!)
Everything worked pretty much as planned, however I do need to give some serious attention to fabricating proper optical mounting (The images show are ad-hock implementation).
I also made an upgrade to the pumping station, adding a second rough pump in parallel to the first one. The addition of the second rough pump cut the cycle time from 1 1/2 hours down to a little over 25 minutes!
All in all, it was a GREAT DAY :)
BTW, I should also mention that this work is all Pete Albrecht's Fault :) Pete sold me the original Diff pump, valves, and base plate a few years ago, and look what it lead to :0
PS. If anyone is interested in more images, I have some here:
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Projects/Chamber/First_Evap/page_01.htm
Here http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Projects/Chamber/In-Progress/page_01.htm
Here: http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Projects/Chamber/Plasma/page_01.htm
And finally here: http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Projects/Chamber/Med_File_sizes/page_01.htm
All the details on the pumping station can be found on my web-site here:
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/ (Item #18 on the left)
While it may not need mentioning, I lift my cutting torch in a big salute to the participants of Rec.Crafts.Metalworking, thanks for all the inspiring ideas!
Take Care, James Lerch http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge
WOW, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL
James Lerch wrote:

Jon Petrzelka wrote:

It looked like it downloaded but nothing shows up but a blank screen. Using Netscape 4.7 :-( ...lew...

Same here, 4.04.
Jim
================================================= please reply to: JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com =================================================
I suggest you upgrade to Mozilla 1.6 It works fine here. I think its one of those IE vs netscape things. Mozilla works very well, plus it has spam filters on the mail client and pop-up blocker in the browser. With all of the junk out there you really can't afford to stick to the old versions. http://www.mozilla.org /
jim rozen wrote:

Actually, the code that is on that page is pretty plain. I didn't run it through a validation program to see what is missing but it is basically one big table of images. The only odd thing that I saw is that the image is listed as the href, the source and the alt places. This normally isn't done as if the image isn't there, all three forms fail. The normal is just the href for the image and the alt would be some text or another source of an image to display. If somebody got a completely blank display, there was some particular problem and a look at the source code actually downloaded should be done and experiments done to see what will make it show.
-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

    Well ... it is a known problem that the Microsoft HTML generating tools leave off closing <TABLE> entries (with a matching </TABLE> entry -- and Internet Explorer forgives this lack, in spite of standards to the contrary. Something to make sure that the page breaks on anything but IE. So -- later browsers have eliminated that problem by also forgiving the missing </TABLE> entries -- probably making the browser code more difficult to write.
    No -- I don't know whether this code was done by hand or from a page-generation program.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 8 Feb 2004 02:03:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Hi DoN,
I used ACDsee version 3 (yea, its old) and its HTML generator plugin to throw the images into a web-page.. Seemed like a good Idea at the time.
I'm working on a reply to the OP with the problem to see if I can make it 'better' :)
Take Care, James Lerch http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

    [ ... ]

    O.K. I don't know that one -- but then I don't use page-generation programs, anyway. :-)

    Thanks, and good luck,         DoN.
brought forth from the murky depths:

Fine here with 7.01 . I decided last year that it was time to upgrade when about 40% of the sites wouldn't work on the old NN versions. I keep NN around because I adore their bookmark filing system and abhor "favorites" in IE.
=========================================================== Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================
Larry Jaques wrote:

There is an error in lerch's html. It is a common error in many web pages, a missing </TABLE> code. For example, http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Projects/Chamber/First_Coating/page_01.htm says ... <TABLE> ... <TR><TD ALIGNNTER><TABLE> ... </TABLE></TD></TR> indicating that two tables are started and only one is finished.
I tried Netscape 4.8 on the URL's lerch offered, and all of them except http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm came up as blank gray screens due to the missing-</TABLE>-error in the html.
-jiw

^^^^ Use something with HTML 3.2 or GREATER coded into it :^)!
Tim (and no I don't know what age NS4.8 corresponds to..and don't care)
-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @ http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
Tim Williams wrote:

Netscape has supported HTML 3.2 since version 4.0, June 1997.

It's 18 months old (released August 2002); see http://sillydog.org/netscape/verinfo.html about halfway down.
As I stated in my earlier message, the problem is broken HTML in lerch's web pages. "grep TABLE page_01.htm" shows: <TABLE> <TR><TD ALIGNNTER><TABLE> </TABLE></TD></TR>
That is, a </TABLE> code is missing. This is a well-known and common HTML error. See, for example, http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol6/html_no20.htm which states in part, "Even the simplest errors can cause big problems - particularly in browsers like Netscape and Opera. They adhere more stringently to W3C standards. Although Explorer may ignore a problem like a missing closing TABLE tag, Netscape ignores the entire table and all its contents."
-jiw

Hi James,
Give this one a try one more time, I manually added the </TABLE> entry.
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Projects/Chamber/First_Coating/page_01.htm
If that works, I go and VI the other pages to reflect the change.
BTW, I used an older version of ACDsee page generator to put the pages together, and it seemed like a good idea at the time :)
Take Care, James Lerch http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge
says...

That does work, I can see the first page fine - but not the second.
Jim
================================================= please reply to: JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com =================================================
jim rozen wrote:

Yes, same here with NS 4.8, the URL above shows about 18 pictures, and its [ Next ] link shows a blank gray page. -jiw

Excelletnt, I had not updated the remaining pages, asI wasn't certain it would work. I'll run thru the rest of the pages now, should be good to go in a few minutes.
Thangs for the heads up!
Take Care, James Lerch http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge
Views fine on mozilla 0.9.8. I may have to upgrade though if its upto 1.6. HTML looks OK except for missing </p>s. These are not necessarilly required by HTML standards as I understand it. I understand Netscape is less tolerant of slack HTML coding though.than IE.
Lewis Hartswick wrote:

James congrats, you are now going to be hit up by every atm on the east coast for mirror aluminizing :-) I will have to get back at my mirror grinder after I finish off a comercial project I have going, just to dusty in the basement to use it at the moment.
James P Crombie Summerside, PEI, Canada http://www.jamescrombie.com/pics
James Lerch wrote:

I looked, but I couldn't find this info: What level of vacuum did you acheive with this setup?