Casting Patterns for High School Shop

Just wondering if anyone has a good lead on casting patterns, split or single sided, that are readily available.

If not for sale, anyone have any ideas that you think would spark a high school students interest? We currently have a small foundry with green sand casting. I'd like to have the item fit inside our small

8"x6"x4" flask.

Thanks,

ktow

Reply to
ktow

Kevin,

Many many moons ago, we made single-sided molds in middle school (never got to pour 'em, that was the teacher's fun). The one I remember best was a derringer that was to be mounted on a wooden plaque, so it involved both wood and metal shop. Simple wall decoration but the memory has stuck around for 40 years.

Dunno where you'd get such a pattern but splitting a toy pistol might be a good start...

Best -- Terry

Reply to
Terry

Naked ladies would spark lots of interest, from the students, their mothers, the local clergy...

We did laughing/crying "drama" masks.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Try a web search for IASCO and Broadhead Garret. Both are companies that serve the Tech Ed community that carry foundry supplies and equipment. They have a range of foundry patterns. If you are going for something simple, have them cut something out of a piece of 1/4 plywood on the jig saw and sand a little draft on the edges. A web search for foundry related educational suppliers will also bring you patterns and ideas.

Reply to
rhbuxton

someone in my class brought in a big hunting knife. We made the mold and the pore was aluminum. Looked good, but would never get sharp!!!!

Try a web search for IASCO and Broadhead Garret. Both are companies that serve the Tech Ed community that carry foundry supplies and equipment. They have a range of foundry patterns. If you are going for something simple, have them cut something out of a piece of 1/4 plywood on the jig saw and sand a little draft on the edges. A web search for foundry related educational suppliers will also bring you patterns and ideas.

Reply to
Bob in Phx

We casted trivets in junior high. RIP Mr. Blume, victim of a drunk driver. Mom and grandma were thrilled with them.

Not to side track your thread but where has Errol Groff been? He is your counterpart.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 01:49:35 -0400, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

I took both wood and metal shop with Mr. Workman. He was short, strange, and very knowledgeable; a great guy. In 8th and 9th grades, we didn't get to cast metals, but Mom still has her pounded copper ashtray.

Oh, I also took Basic Aviation with Mr. Workman in high school. The inventive man made a cardboard box version of the IFR flight hood and everyone in class got to make fools of themselves by putting it over their heads and walking it around the parking lot for a few days.

RIP, Mr. Workman, who passed away a few years ago.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We only cast with aluminum.

Had a ice cream scoop that was popular and came out pretty well. I still have mine and use it when I decide to splurge on the stuff. The brass-knuckle pattern was pulled just before my class. Some of the guys managed to cast the knuckles anyway, if the teacher wasn't paying good attention :)

I made a two piece meat tenderizer for a special class. Used the wood shop lathe to turn the handle and vertical mill to create the large/small head patterns from aluminum. These were just glued onto the wood handle. The handle was then split (was glued together with a piece of paper between the wood blocks) with one head on each half. Dowel pegs to line things up. Only got to try casting it once or twice. The aluminum was too hot both times and I had too much shrinkage in the head area. The teacher kept the mold for show & tell in future classes.

Reply to
Leon Fisk