Concrete, steel, or ?

Sorry if I strike a political cord without meaning to. I heard that the la test plan may be to build a steel wall,fence,barrier.... on the southern bo
rder. I would think that would be easy to deconstruct with a plasma cutter . I'm guessing that many of you have thought along these same lines.
I have estimated a large concrete wall to be about 10million/mile based on $250/yard for poured concrete. 40' x 4' with 10' underground. I am using New England numbers for the poured cement. I am not sure how much rebar wo uld be needed. 5 billion would buy you 500 miles. Please help tweak the numbers - I could be way off.
I would like to hear your thoughts on steel -vs- concrete -vs- ???
-0800 (PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Add "plasma cutters will go through it" to the list of excuses.
    They can dig tunnels under it, you know.
    They can launch people on trampolines, too.
    Catapults.
    Hang gliders.
    Teleportations not that far off.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 19:48:34 -0800, pyotr filipivich

:-) But I believe that there is a history of tunnels having been dug to cross the border.
cheers,
John B.
+0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Yep.
    Just as there exist glass cutters, so it no sense in trying to lock your windows.
--
pyotr filipivich

    Look up "Tunnel 57" about the most successful tunnel under the Berlin wall.     And note how long it took to dig said tunnel.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 08:59:18 -0800, pyotr filipivich

The news today has it that "Israel said Sunday it had uncovered all cross-border attack tunnels dug by Hezbollah from Lebanon and will bring its operation to find and destroy them to an end after more than a month."
Cheers, John B.
+0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Oh look, a tunnel was built. (How long did it take? what resources were diverted to build it?) So obviously walls do not work, because a tunnel was dug.     And how long was it functional before it was detected and destroyed?
    Remember: for progressives, locking door or building walls, is racist. Just ask the Obamas.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 06:18:08 -0800 (PST), Bob LaFrance

I like it! They need to be made aware that it is not a good thing to invade us.
--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross

We need to send them all back via trebuchets which could land them several miles back inside their borders.
--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
On 1/12/2019 6:10 PM, Bob LaFrance wrote:

I think a 20 ft chain link fence, lay Constantine wire for a width of 70ft then another 20ft chain link fence. Build a road designed to allow tunnel searching equipment to traverse. Boarder guards to keep watch for anyone trying to use equipment to breach.
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:12:14 AM UTC-8, amdx wrote:

. Boarder guards to keep watch for

That's a huge manpower sink for a border that hasn't been a military problem since Pancho Villa rode. I'd propose a trial at the N Dakota/S Dakota border first, to see if it stops invasion forces there.

It might be noted that the walls that have been successful from The Great Wall of China to Hadrian's Wall to the Israeli Wall all had/have one thing in common. they had/have troops assigned to them to prevent "outsiders" from crossing the wall. And, I suspect that method of deterring wall crossers was/is "kill 'em".
Cheers, John B.

Constructing a wall made of spent nuclear fuel rods would solve the manpower problem.
Best Regards. Tom.
https://www.avg.com

Recidivism would end shortly thereafter, too, saving us $110B per year.
--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 08:25:51 +0700, John B. Slocomb wrote:

But in the case of amdx's suggestion, it might not take all that many people. Presumably you'd need only a few boarder guards per boat, and there aren't so many boats on the Mexican border as to be a problem.

Maybe, maybe not. Back in August 2001, I read a newspaper article that said "South Dakota put a giant fence around the whole state to keep these tourists out, and STILL they keep coming", and went on to suggest that even tourists getting killed by cold soon after arriving wasn't enough to keep them out.
Here's a little more from that article: "People have such an instant thing about how North Dakota is cold and snowy and flat. ... In contrast, South Dakota is universally believed to be a tropical paradise with palm trees swaying on surf-kissed beaches. Millions of tourists, lured by the word 'South', flock to South Dakota every winter, often wearing nothing but skimpy bathing suits. Within hours, most of them die and become covered with snow, not to be found until spring, when they cause a major headache for South Dakota's farmers by clogging up the cultivating machines. South Dakota put a giant fence around the whole state to keep these tourists out, and STILL they keep coming. That's how powerful a name can be."
Note, some of the facts in that article are a bit out of date -- what with climate change, the "covered with snow" part probably is no longer true.
I think I got the central facts from the article (which was syndicated to lots of newspapers) as they apply to this ND/SD border fence topic, but for those interested the article also has numerous facts about North Dakota's image and attempts to improve it. <https://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/ article1934484.html>
--
jiw

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 04:32:41 -0000 (UTC), James Waldby

Is Dave Barry an authority on fences :-)
Cheers, John B.
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 04:32:41 -0000 (UTC), James Waldby

Hilarious. Thanks for both.