Designing a venturi?

Hi all -

is there somewhere with information on the design of a venturi to produce suction or vacuum ?

We're trying to make a vacuum cleaner using compressed air and a coaxial venturi and figuring out how big to make the parts and what size ratio gives the best suction is turning out to be a problem.

A google turns up tons of venturi information but I couldn't find a design formula relating orifice size, main tube size and restriction size along with inlet pressure or flow rate.

Any pointers would be helpful...

Thanks in advance

Carla Skilled politicians, like high-end hookers, are only for those who can afford them. Michael Pearce

Reply to
Carla Fong

Is this what you're looking for?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Would be nice to know what pressure and flow rate you had in mind.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You might look at carburetors. Most old internal compustion engine books have a section on the venturi portion of a carb. What you're really interested in is the Bernoulli effect in a cylindrical form.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I would try a Perry's or a Mark's engineering handbook. They probably have the formulas you can need for sizing.

Reply to
oldjag

Puh-leeze. Two numbers constitute an NDA and a patent? Contemptible coyness.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I don't think it's quite that bad, but my guess would be in the 3% to 5% range, maybe 10% if all the stars and planets were aligned. Which still sucks rocks -

Unless you have "free" energy like waste compressed air by the ton and extreme space restrictions on the vacuum generating equipment (and I can't see those two existing at the same time), you'd be much better off using another energy source and/or vacuum generation method.

Hell, modifying a IC Engine turbocharger to take the air energy from the exhaust turbine and use the compressor section as a vacuum blower would probably be more efficient than a venturi.

About the only tricky part would be supplying a small lubrication pump and a 1-quart lube oil tank for the center section bearings, and keeping it powered after shutdown for spin-down lubrication - and if it isn't being run by exhaust gases heat is not an issue. You get a bit of compression heating, but that's nothing compared to the design temps on the exhaust side.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman