Diet Soda BS

Im tired of my tax money being wasted on junk "science" like this lie that claims diet soda increases risk of stroke and dementia.

Because if it was true, then why havent I had strokes and shown signs of dementia? Hmmm?

Gunner, who scarfs Diet Mt Dew every day.

Reply to
You Already Know

I fully agree that was voodoo science used. That was medical not science.

Science starts out and see's what happens. They started out to prove a point. Very interesting. How many died? How many got cancer? How many smoked ? ........ How many lived next to a Nuke power plant ? How many lived near a pipeline ? How many drank Booze ? how many smoked pot and how many ...other drugs.

We pay for junk studies all of the time.

Remember the radiation scare in south America ? The Protective shield we have is a pumpkin of sorts - it is large bodied in the center and dives in at the pole. It is a magnetic shield. In the south there was a Super Nova near the small 'cloud' - star mass. The Nova dumped a lot of high energy particles to bend their path into the polar regions. Cosmic rays - the non polarized particles zip through us every day. We collect them deep in salt and lead mines. They are so small and so fast that they zip around atoms and make us like Swiss Cheese but they are so tiny they don't show or cause but mutations from time to time.

Martin E - Degrees in Physics, Mathematics, studies in AI and 20+ as a practicing EE.

Reply to
Martin E

Neutrinos are the non polarized particles that pass through matter without affecting it. The atmosphere stops most Cosmic Rays which are fully ionized atomic nuclei.

"Cosmic rays kept the level of carbon-14 in the atmosphere roughly constant (70 tons) for at least the past 100,000 years, until the beginning of above-ground nuclear weapons testing in the early 1950s. This is an important fact used in radiocarbon dating used in archaeology."

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Legitimate study by respectable group:

Article points out that it is statistical and other factors may be more of the difference.

Everyone needs to understand this:

"The rooster crows immediately before sunrise; therefore the rooster causes the sun to rise."

I did not even look at the fake news pronouncements on this study as they constantly violate the above.

Reply to
Frank

How do you know this? Did you read the study? I did, and you're full of bal oney.

Instead of pulling answers out of your ass, Martin, you'd do better to read the study first. Then see if you have a disagreement with the methodology, the statistics, or the conclusions:

"After adjustments for age, sex, education (for analysis of dementia), calo ric intake, diet quality, physical activity, and smoking, higher recent and higher cumulative intake of artificially sweetened soft drinks were associ ated with an increased risk of ischemic stroke, all-cause dementia, and Alz heimer?s disease dementia. When comparing daily cumulative intake t o 0 per week (reference), the hazard ratios were 2.96 (95% confidence inter val, 1.26?6.97) for ischemic stroke and 2.89 (95% confidence interv al, 1.18?7.07) for Alzheimer?s disease. Sugar-sweetened bev erages were not associated with stroke or dementia.

You tell 'em...

Reply to
edhuntress2

That's not a study. It's a review article, commenting on a study, and which says, "This kind of research is critical for examining and uncovering publ ic health relationships that may eventually lead to actionable recommendati ons," added Fargo."

The Framingham studies are prospective cohort studies. Medical research of this type RARELY delves into causation. It's a statistical association, whi ch is how most medical research starts out. Years of follow-up studies try to get at causation, which oftentimes is elusive in medical research.

Working with such studies is exactly what I did when I was a medical editor . As a rough guess, I'd say that at least 75% of medical research begins th is way -- finding statistical correlations that raise questions about possi ble paths of causation.

But causation is, as I said, often elusive. It's frustrating, but that's th e way medical research usually goes. Paths of causation often are very comp lex and obscure.

But if we waited until those paths are determined before doing anything, we wouldn't have any modern medicine. Most of it is just statistical "associa tions." The AMA's editorial style book dictates how the words must be used in medicine.

This is almost always true in these prospective cohort studies.

That's the fault of the news reporting, not of the Framingham study, which is very clear about what they know and what they don't.

Reply to
edhuntress2

Indeed. Very well said, Frank! People say Im a very sciency guy...shrug. Maybe thats because they know I blew through all the tests on my first chemistry kit when I was 3, and built my first cold fusion reactor when I was still in grade 7. Now to be fair..the reaction only lasted a few hours, and it was conducted here

which is owned by a buddy. And the measurements were taken by his partner, who works at ITER.....shrug. I will celebrate the 130th anniversary of that event before I die, and Diet Mountain Dew is the elixir that will make it possible.

Ok, so maybe its the smokes that account for my amazingly long life. VBG

Thats a good rule. Another is to stay out of ERs. All theyre good for is giving you a disease so they can send you a big bill. Thank Crom we scientists are too smart to fall for that scam. I would have added scientist to my list of accomplishments at Linkedin but I hit their phony limit at 50 skills. No way am I taking aerospace off the list to make room. shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Is this the real you or the fake you or the real you imitating the fake you? Inquiring minds need to know.

Reply to
Frank

It really amazes me that some of you guys can't tell. I think that's most of what one needs to know about how Gunner is perceived. d8-)

Reply to
edhuntress2

Somebody said "there are no stupid question." What a buffoon. Of course its the real me. I killed everybody else. shrug

Sorry if I sound a little cranky today. It was a long night in the Sheraton Caravan. Smart ass cop woke me up with his tactical flashlight at 9am. Claimed he can charge me with vagrancy for sleeping in a Walmart parking lot.... shrug I told him lots of $75 an hour techs do it and that he had bigger fish to fry. What about all the $50 an hour techs sleeping in fridge boxes in the alley? He only stopped being pissy when I offered some free shooting lessons. VBG I invited him out to the homestead which has a 200 yard (100 meters) range. Hes a big guy and he says he like Taco Bell which we have here in Taft. With luck... some luck... it will be a day when I can afford a few extra toilet flushes. shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No wonder the real you dropped out. Maybe he did again.

Reply to
Frank

No worries, Im still here.... grin

I dont let the ridicule get to me. Its nothing compared to my day to day grind. It is a bit of a crisis of conscience... on the one hand I did say many times Id torture and kill these guys or have it done for me... shrug. On the other hand f*ck them if they refuse to accept reality. The original idea was to hang them on lamp posts just because theyre leftists or sympathizers. But it turns out theyre mean bastards who think theyre entitled to fight back. Before theyre bulldozed into mass graves theyll be 10 or so feet up in the air..with sharp stakes up their asses and as time goes by...it pushes deeper and deeper into their body cavities..any organs that arent pushed aside..are punctured as they slowly..very slowly slide down the stakes. Think of the stink that 20,000 writhing, twisting, squirming, wailing and screaming Leftwingers would make. Glorious! Absolutely Glorious!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ed - The study was for xxxxx. It wasn't a study on the effects or workings of this additive. When you start out a research that defines the goal it tends on proving that and nothing else. We in Physics are taught to roll the dice and see what happens. They load the dice.

Martin

Reply to
Martin E

The study shows the need for a soda tax.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beel

read the study first. Then see if you have a disagreement with the methodol ogy, the statistics, or the conclusions:

caloric intake, diet quality, physical activity, and smoking, higher recent and higher cumulative intake of artificially sweetened soft drinks were as sociated with an increased risk of ischemic stroke, all-cause dementia, and Alzheimer?s disease dementia. When comparing daily cumulative inta ke to 0 per week (reference), the hazard ratios were 2.96 (95% confidence i nterval, 1.26?6.97) for ischemic stroke and 2.89 (95% confidence in terval, 1.18?7.07) for Alzheimer?s disease. Sugar-sweetened beverages were not associated with stroke or dementia.

I can't interpret your first sentence. It was a study that used Framingham Study data to find some associations between known risk factors and inciden ces of stroke and dementia.

This is a straightforward and common type of statistical medical study. The Framingham Study data is the world's largest database of risk factors and their correlations with disease. I referred to it extensively when writing about metabolic syndrome. So does practically everyone else who works in th e field or who reports on it.

Did you read it? Did you read the abstract? Or did you just read the CNN ne ws article?

Here is the study's abstract, with links to the full study:

Nobody "loaded the dice." They had plenty of anecdotal data to suggest the risk-factor correlation. Then they applied straightforward statistical meth ods to see what the data tell us.

Don't guess about this. If you haven't read at least the abstract, and if y ou don't know how these associations are researched and measured in medicin e, find out before jumping to conclusions.

Reply to
edhuntress2

Did Gunner lose a bit when he measured his lot? I know they call him "Short horn", but short measuring stick too? Most places 200 yards is

182.8 meters :-)

Ah well, a day late and a dollar (meter) short describes old gunner to a tee.

Reply to
Good Soldier Schweik

My shooting range is 4 of my 17 lots connected together. The 4 arent in a straight line of course so I have ricochet plates carefully oriented to keep the shots on my acreage,

So I am guilty of rounding... shrug.

Rounding is very sciency which is my trademark.

If the Trump economy holds then next week should be good and with luck...a little luck, I will finally be able to put plates on hotel econoline. "Next week" being subject to rounding of course. shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That abstract speaks for itself. Thanks for posting a link to it.

Reply to
Ignoramus8879

most of the shit Monsanto produces of does this to you.....

It gives you cancer because, the cr>

Reply to
tesla sTinker

QUOTE FROM ABSTRACT: "Background and Purpose?Sugar- and artificially-sweetened beverage intake have been linked to cardiometabolic risk factors, which increase the risk of cerebrovascular disease and dementia. We examined whether sugar- or artificially sweetened beverage consumption was associated with the prospective risks of incident stroke or dementia in the community-based Framingham Heart Study Offspring cohort.

Methods?We studied 2888 participants aged >45 years for incident stroke (mean age 62 [SD, 9] years; 45% men) and 1484 participants aged >60 years for incident dementia (mean age 69 [SD, 6] years; 46% men). Beverage intake was quantified using a food-frequency questionnaire at cohort examinations 5 (1991?1995), 6 (1995?1998), and 7 (1998?2001). We quantified recent consumption at examination 7 and cumulative consumption by averaging across examinations. Surveillance for incident events commenced at examination 7 and continued for 10 years. We observed 97 cases of incident stroke (82 ischemic) and 81 cases of incident dementia (63 consistent with Alzheimer?s disease)." >>> Just as I said. They start out with what they want to prove. They claim in support of their proposition a positive link to cardio / cerebro issues and simply log those who drink and in dataloging so many died this way or that or had strokes (head hits something and stroke...) Argument and gets stroke. Oh yea drinking 'known bad stuff in our minds' does this so this is caused by drinking. Poor logic.

Poor data reduction and it hides the facts. Was this a BLIND test - no. Was there any attempt to determine any other cause and effect or just effect occurs and cause is assumed.

Martin

Reply to
Martin E