Enjoy this picture of a 4,500 HP electric motor

It is sitting on my truck:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/4500-hp-motor.jpg
It was used to power a big blower at a coal fired electrical power
station. Then it was rebuilt, then the power station was shut down by the EPA. The power station is 96 years old. They have a 96 years old bridge crane that is still operational.
The blower at iFly is 1,600 HP, and this is 4,500 HP, almost 3 times bigger.
http://en-us.fluke.com/community/fluke-news-plus/electrical-news/consistent-testing-keeps-indoor-skydivers-flying.html

Oh, and the crane is 125 ton capacity.
"Ignoramus11775" wrote in message
It is sitting on my truck:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/4500-hp-motor.jpg
It was used to power a big blower at a coal fired electrical power station. Then it was rebuilt, then the power station was shut down by the EPA. The power station is 96 years old. They have a 96 years old bridge crane that is still operational.
The blower at iFly is 1,600 HP, and this is 4,500 HP, almost 3 times bigger.
http://en-us.fluke.com/community/fluke-news-plus/electrical-news/consistent-testing-keeps-indoor-skydivers-flying.html
i ============================================================================= So, going to make a rotary phase converter out of it? :-) :-)
----- Regards, Carl Ijames
Here's a picture of us unloading it at my place
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/4500-hp-motor-unloading.jpg

Wrong.
These slings are rated at 5.5 tons vertical. I am lifting at most 8 tons. The slings are in like new condition, a very generous company recently gifted me a bunch of them. 3/4, 1" etc

I am just curious, what states?

38,000

Well, we took it down to be 3-4 inches off the ground as soon as the truck drove away from under it.

Right.

Neither the crane, nor the forklift, could lift it alone.

Why, there is a mast between them.

I looked this up, I could not find anything that says they are banned in California, only that they are regulated, like everywhere else.

Thanks! I also use fabric slings whenever I can, it is easier.

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 10:40:38 -0600, Ignoramus2527

Does your driver wear his seat belt every time? Just sayin...
--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

I know enough, by now, not to believe this B/S
On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 19:57:31 -0600, Ignoramus11775

What was the voltage?
--

Cheers,

John B.

4100 volts
On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 16:18:16 -0600, Ignoramus9436

No wonder the guys were wearing the thick canvas/rubber(?) arc-flash suits.
--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
On 02/06/2016 11:23 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ayup...
RCP motors are typically from 6.1 to 6.9 kV from 6,000 to 10,000 HP. Still that'll be almost 1,000 A current, 330 A/phase...
Typical 1000 MWe spec's...
System Pressure: 2250 psig) Capacity: 78 750 gpm Head: 365 ft Power Input: 6 600 kW Motor Voltage: 6 900 V
Some of the (tiny little) physical dimensions... :)
Length of Stator Cable: 15 748 ft (~3 miles) Overall Pump Length: 265 in ( 22 ft) Total Weight: 139 442 lb (697 ton)
There's four of these per plant so they alone are a plant load of 26.4 MWe. I mentioned earlier turning them on is how they raise plant temperature to hot-zero power conditions before going online...
There are bigger motors; these are remarkable in that the run 100% of time plants are operational and I can't recall ever they being the cause of an outage. I'm sure there have been but they are remarkably reliable given their size and complexity...
On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 19:57:31 -0600, Ignoramus11775

The image cannot be displayed because it contains errors.

Finally, the EPA does something right. If anything in the world could cause AGWK, coal plants could, though I don't believe in AGWK. Properly processed pocket nuclear would be good until we get real cold fusion.

Is that next on your dismantling list?

Four 400hp motors, but WOW! I'd hate to get their electric bills...
--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often

I am also a big fan of nuclear power.

This is on my "hope to dismantle" list

They love their electric bills, I am sure, as they make many times as much from flying.
1600 hp = 1500 kW bill (I am guessing, considering all losses etc).
1500 kW in an hour at 6 cents per kWh, is 90 dollars per hour.
they make many times as much per hour
Look into big transmissions. Drop speed increase HP, drop HP increase speed.
Martin
On 2/5/2016 4:20 PM, Ignoramus9436 wrote:

On 2/8/2016 10:58 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Drop speed increase *torque*, drop *torque* increase speed.
It was a long long day. Walked twice as far in half the time and was in poor shape.
Martin
On 2/9/2016 6:28 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

    I downloaded it and it displays with xv with no problems.
    Make sure that you got the whole file. It is 4.6 MB in size. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Neither of the files for that motor will download here without errors. It's probably version 2847612.0.3 of Mozilla, though... <sigh> Firefox isn't responding right now.
--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
On 02/04/2016 7:57 PM, Ignoramus11775 wrote:

Couldn't find a good picture quickly, unfortunately...reactor primary coolant pump motors are around 6,0000 HP (Oconee-class, 850 MWe output) to approaching 10,000 HP for later 1100-1200 MWe units. There's enough "waste" energy imparted from the impeller work that it's how initial temperature is raised from ambient to 560 F at 2250 psia prior to reactor startup. Oconee flow rate is 131.6E6 lbm/hr total or roughly 65,000 gpm thru each of the four RCPs...
Power plants do tend to be big machines...