EZ-go fix; followup

My stubborn streak gets the better of me most times. I just like to win.

Yup. In the short term it doesn't seem practical to buy tools and learn to fix things. But I think that you usually make out best in the long run.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:29:50 -0700, Denis G. wrote:

Short and long term, learning to fix stuff is a *huge* advantage. For younger folks, the knowledge can provide a sanity check when other people tell them 'that which is not so'. For us older folks, it provides a way to keep our minds agile and provide value to our family and friends.
(IMHO)
--Winnie
"Denis G." wrote:

That sounds like a power supply problem. Failing electrolytics are the bane of modern electronics.

I had some CD and DVD burners that had troubles like that, the rails that the carraige rode on and the lead screw that stepped the head in and out were coated with grease that got hard and kept things from moving smoothly. Happened JUST after the warranty ran out. Cleaned the old hardened goop off and regreased with some synthetic lube gel and all was well. Repeated several times over the years. The one drive ran for 6 years that way, didn't get removed because it quit working, a higher speed drive suddenly got a lot cheaper. They tend to accumulate dust bunnies in the corners of the case, too, doesn't help perfomance. The spinning disc acts like a blower and packs the dust in there. But DVD players can be had for peanuts these days, hardly worth messing with. Blu-Ray is about twice the price, still cheap.
Stan