FA: Super Kiaturn 21 CNC high speed lathe

http://301url.com/Kiaturn21

Highest bid $35,000 - reserve not met

Highest bid $35,000 - reserve not met

Well, now you know what it's worth.
I'm amazed someone would bid half of what a new one costs.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

Dan, I've always wondered about Kia lathes. Do you ever go into shops that have them? Do they have a good/bad reputation?
22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

Yup. I also know someone that sold them for a spell. They are a decent value for what you pay. Make no mistake, you aren't getting a Japanese quality build for your money. They have lots of little annoying problems. If your handy, you'll look at some of the stuff, shake your head and fix it for good. If your not handy, you'd better pass unless you have an exceptional dealer.
As far as end users, I've been in places that love them and I've been in places that would never buy another one. I've seen them with the covers off, saw the spindle being rebuilt on one, and I once helped a guy in Florida sort out some issues with a brand new one as a favor to a dealer. My take is that if I needed a reliable robust tight machine in order to make my deliveries and keep the wheels from falling off, and could afford a "brand name" machine, I probably wouldn't buy one.
But if I was just starting out and could get work for it and was otherwise having to keep an eye on every penny, then I just might buy one. Knowing that I probably have the skills to permanantly fix some of the stupid things that could have been better from the factory and could otherwise get by without a lot of support/service.
You always get what you pay for, nothing more. I wouldn't touch a used one with a ten foot pole unless I knew exactly where it came from and was sure it wasn't abused in the least and even then... It would have to be a helluva deal.
A couple of years ago IIRC, a live tool, sub spindle machine was just under 100 grand. So you can see the attraction.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

It always seems a little scary to me to buy a sub-spindle live tool machine from anybody other than the high end brands.
As far as the simple 2 axis stuff, where would you rank guys like Haas, Daewoo, Kia, Hyundai (same as Kia?), Hwacheon, Yama Seiki, and any of the other off-brands you feel are worth mentioning? We're talking bargain basement, 2 axis, chip conveyor, and maybe a parts catcher and tool setter. NOTHING more.

I have a customer with 3 Takangs.........they run em 2 shifts for the last 5 years and have not had any problems. http://www.findamachine.com/lathe/TAKANG/TNC-_10A
Regards Daveb

It woould depend on the work I suppose. But I would buy the Doosan (Daewoo) lathe without hesitation. If you were looking at a more complex machine I would tell you I'm not wild about the way they implement the control and the parts catcher sucks as it can only catch a part from the sub spindle. But on a 2-axis plain vanilla lathe it's a slam dunk. IMO, Daewoo is playing to be the biggest and best MTB in the world. And they aren't so far away from the goal that I wouldn't take them seriously were I competing with them.
Now if I were just doing light cutting in aluminum, brass, or mild steel then I might think about a Haas. Only because they hold their value absurdly well and there's always a mope in a van nearby with the part you will inevitably need. The other day I ran across a video someone posted of a bigger Haas lathe cutting a steel part that was probably in the 5- 6" diameter range. They show the thing roughing with the load meter pegged. The problem was the DOC was next to nothing. Nowhere near what an Okuma or even a Doosan would do without a grunt. In fact I was thinking that the roughing was around the DOC you would want for finishing. But assuming no creative editing was done to the video, there was no chatter. Which from what I've observed in the past, is a newer feature. They are getting there with their turning products, slow but sure. Now they just need to up the power some while keeping the chatter out.
After that, it's a toss up as far as I'm concerned. We looked at the Hyundai line years ago. They had a decent factory and seemed like something interesting, but like all Korean companies, they were simply looking for a risk free entry into the US market with no upside for us. The machines were Mazak copies for the most part. I've never considered Mazak to be a stout machine. Well built and reliable and some people love the control, sure, but I don't know if I'd want a knock off. The reliability is questionable and you're not getting the control, so what's left? Back then I would have given them the edge over Daewoo, but not today.
I work with a guy who has been to Yama Seiki factory back when they were being sold here as Amera Seiki. It's decent enough iron and a cut above Leadwell and some other Taiwanese machines IMO. But still a notch below Daewoo but better than they were back then based on more recent feedback from a customer that has four of them. Ten years ago I would have said that Taiwan MTB's were the ones to watch. It never panned out that way. I wonder if they have found their fortunes building large quantities of low cost lathes and mills for China.
Thinking about Taiwan, what about Femco? I've always liked the "Durga" model. I don't know why they haven't been able to get much traction in the US market outside of California. But their lathes seem fairly decent and the Durga has the way cool turret. I would put them on the short list too. I don't see enough of them around here to vouch for the reliability but I do know a couple of companies on the west coast that rave about the Durga. So I would do a little more homework on them but would give them a shot based on what little I know.