Home Patina Concoctions for Copper ?

Looking to make a nice copper backsplash for the kitchen. I've seen some stunning examples of colored copper but haven't the foggiest on how to start. The copper that I'm using is 20 OZ weight (2 - 4' x 8' sheets) so I have lots to practice on....

- Does anyone have some easy home-made recipies or funky techniques ?

- Also, what would be a good (proper) sealer to use for backsplash ?

Any other tips are welcomed..... !

Thanks,

/MM

Reply to
Jman

Richard J Kinch

A few years ago I "gilded a turd" by putting a sheet copper pitched roof on the bird feeder we were using then.

I rubbed a little "Dunton tinners fluid" (acid soldering flux) from a bottle I'd had around forever onto the copper and left it for a few days.

I got a nice greenish patina that way.

I looked for the Dunton company just now but found only this:

But this eBay store seems to have lots of patina creating chemicals:

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Wasn't it tradition around the rec. to holler "cat pee" every time the subject of patina or rust came up?

:-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

[ ... ]

That was Teenut (Robert Bastow) -- a much missed poster.

And it was specifically suggested for copper.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Awesome link.....

Thanks,

/MM

Reply to
Jman

These patina ideas are pretty good. I see however, that 'patina' and 'colouring' are two completely different things when it comes to copper.

As I was writing my last reply, I just happened to find this site "

" (can't believe I actually missed this one !) and I gotta say, "These are some pretty talented people" ! This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking at doing... (Of course at a very "amateur level"). Their stuff is amazing but I'm not so sure that any of this stuff really qualifies as a "patina". It looks to me like this stuff is "Flame-Coloured" with an O/A torch or something like that.....

I wonder if a Prestolite O/A "Little Torch" would be enough tool to get that kind of effect ?

Cheers,

/MM

Reply to
Jman