How much mercury is in mercury relays?

How did you reclaim them? Were they glass or epoxy encapsulated?

Yes. Feels odd.

Ignoramus23003

On 1/17/2014 10:19 AM, Larry Jaques wrote: > ...I wonder if it's a > weight v. volume mismatch I'm experiencing. ...

Yeah, me too. It's our conditioning with water, I think. With water, ounces weight and ounces volume are the same. So, I see "9 ounces" (weight), I tend to visualize that as 9 ounces volume. 99.9% of time when it's water or a close cousin, it works. With mercury, not so much .

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Let's see: it's 13 times the density of water; 2 lbs of water per quart = 26 lbs of mercury per quart. A 2-handed effort. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Some of each. The glass was broken in a container, and then the glass (which floated on the mercury) could easily be picked off.

The other I just hacksawed until the mercury would pour out.

A lot heavier than it has any right to be. :-) (Of course so are gold and depleted Uranium. I've also once picked up a bottle of "heavy water" (Deuterium Oxide) -- and yes, it, also, is notably heavier than you would expect. (And no -- I have no idea why that lab at work had a bottle of it -- but they did. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

They would pass a lot more current and do not arc. They were required to be in the operating position for some time unless they have heaters.

Mart> Ignoramus23003 wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

John, are you talking about mercury-wetted relays, or mercury relays? They are different animals entirely.

Ignoramus20572

I do not have any gold, but I have a piece of tungsten, which weighs as much as a similar piece of gold, and it does feel odd. Of course after collecting appx. 45 lbs of carbide scrap, it does not feel so unusual any more.

Ignoramus20572

Why? That'll ruin an expensive relay.

Reply to
whit3rd