Lathe, mill project needed

14 year old grandson coming from out-of-state for 6 day visit. First time. Would like to get him off his phone/pad and expose him to as many things as possible.
All ready with: Electronics (Arduino), robotics, C-programing, Autodesk Inventor and Fusion360, 1948 Pontiac restoration, 1964 BMW cycle reassembly, chess, piano, midi, welding and quadcopters.
NEED, small project (4-6 hours) of lathe and mill work that he could finish and take home with him. Maybe a brass hammer? Any ideas??
I know the above is a lot, BUT, maybe by chance something will strike his interest and stay with him.
Please, any ideas on what he/we could manufacture??
Thank you in advance
Ivan Vegvary
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 09:19:11 -0800 (PST)

Long shot here, but maybe a predator call? I watched a few youtube videos the other day and you could easily do that. Don't really need a lathe but that would make a right purty barrel/body. For instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
µHJ0-wrnnY
There were several more videos, some of them were using lathes...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Along those lines, I made a brass whistle once. Loud as hell, and got all the dogs in the neighborhood barking.
Made a non working cannon once with one of my nephews. He enjoyed that. Make it pretty small caliber and don't put a touch hole.
Pete Keillor
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 06:22:39 -0600, Pete Keillor

How about something like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rckf4XDUSwg

--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

I've been making small "tins" out of aluminum round offal . Basically a small container about 2" diameter and around 3/4" tall with a stepped wall and a slip fit lid . I can send pics or post them on photobucket if you like . Getting the fit just right on the lid is kinda finicky , but with your help should be a doable project . He can give it to Mom for her pills/earrings/tic-tacs . I have one that a gal wanted to put Vicks in . She works in an old folks home and appparently the odors can be somewhat ... well , you know . I usually machine the inside and OD, part it off , and finish the cutoff ends last .
--
Snag

Add pictures here
✖

Yeah, "stash cans" could interest the boy. <giggle>
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Larry , you just outed yourself .
--
Snag

Add pictures here
✖

BTDT, but now 30 years clean and sober. Only dabbled in drugs shortly, but Coors and Bacardi nearly went tits-up when I sobered.
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
✖

Similar to your suggestion Terry is a disguised container. When I first started working in a machine shop 40 years ago I made a hollow "bolt". I was practicing single point threading after working hours. Using aluminum round stock I drilled and tapped one piece and then used that piece as a gauge for single point threading the part that fit into the first part. Then I had an aluminum bar with a hollow. Not too extiting. But it was a large enough OD for me to mill a hex on the end and turn most of the rest down so that it looked like a bolt without threads. Finally I threaded the OD of the "bolt" and that the parting line where the two parts screwed together vanished. So when screwed together it really did look like a large aluminum bolt. And the single point threading practice I got from making it really paid off. I bet the 14 year old boy could do this part in 6 hours and have fun doing it. I think single pointing threads is kinda magical. Eric
✖
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:26:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Projects like that appeal to those of us who come to this business with an interest in the process itself, but I wonder if a 14-year-old with no experience of machining is going to be enthralled.
I would think that making something that *does* something would be more appealing. That's why I thought of a fire piston or a simple oscillating engine. A couple that my son liked when he was a few years younger were a release mechanism for soda-bottle rockets (fill haldfway with water; drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets; hook to release mechanism; pull the rip cord), and a "steam" car that also ran on Alka-Seltzer. That was all machined, but a plastic piston worked better than a metal one.
--
Ed Huntress

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:40:03 -0500, Ed Huntress

I like the fire piston idea. I have thought about making one for myself.
Eric
Add pictures here
✖

    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... one thing which might be intersting as a project would be a toolmaker's hammer. (See the Starrett catalog.) A small hammer for tapping center punches with a round hole in the head in which is mounted a magnifying lens -- for help in putting the point of the punch on scribe lines before striking. The lens is held in by an O-ring pressed into the cavity after it.
    Not sure what he would use it for if he did not go into machining, but the "manual" sheet which comes with it from Starrett offers some humorous suggestions, including for office managers IIRC.
    Just one possibility, taking off from your brass hammer. I'm sure that you will get other suggestions.
    Knurling the handle might be the most impressive single operation on that project to someone who has not seen it done before.
    But really -- who knows *what* might or might not capture his interest.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
✖

A lot? Two 2-4 year college courses worth of knowledge and work for -each- -day- he's there is "a lot"? <g>

Your best bet is to ask him what interests him, and going from there, Ivan. Give him this list and see what strikes his fancy. Every kid is different. Perhaps just seeing you at work will spark his interest.
P.S: Good luck de-phoning him. ;)
--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
✖
On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 9:35:14 PM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:

Well, I guess you can take the kid along while you're bidding for/or working on machine shop contracts (if the insurer allows it). Though I'm not familiar with machine shops, myself. Just construction and remodeling job sites.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 09:19:11 -0800 (PST), Ivan Vegvary

1) A fire piston
2) An oscillating "steam" engine, running on compressed air http://npmccabe.tripod.com/45engine.htm (there are many others)
Add pictures here
✖