Lathe question

I was reading another thread mentioning lathes... and which one to buy. I'm so new to metalworking (I'm just beginning welding hehe) that I had to go look up what a lathe even was. I see that it's for shaping/carving/whatever metals to make a desired shape... but can anybody provide an example or 2 of what a lathe is used for? Thanks! Curiousity got the best of me ;). Happy Holidays!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant
Reply to
<memset

Yesterday, I sliced the heads and threads off three 5/8" bolts. Stuck them in the lathe and turned, faced and drilled them. Viola! from scrap hardware to six 0.6" OD x 0.3" ID spacers muy pronto, for cheap.

Day before that, I turned down an acrylic dowel to plug a non- critical hole in an acrylic panel.

Day before that, used a boring bar to open an existing hole in a spacer.

Some lathes allow you to create your own nuts and bolts by 'single point threading'.

Here are a few of the things you can do with even a simple lathe:

Do like I did. Sign up for a machining course at the local JC and learn the quick, painless way. Mucho fun!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Blink blink...ooookkkay...

Just a couple examples.

As you say..lathes make round things round (usually) and of the size and shape you want.

Need some jets for a carburetor? Lathe. Need to make bushings? Lathe Need to make nuts and bolts? Lathe

Im building a new welding cart for my Mig welder, for rough terrain. So far..the axles have been turned to diameter and threaded on the ends for nylocks...Lathe The steering gear spindle, lathe king arms, lathe Bottle holder clamp, lathe

Yesterday: New mig tip for my wire feeder. Lathe (ID bore, turn and thread out of copper) spare Defuser for the torch tip, lathe, (brass)

Tommorow. Brass electrical buss bar for friends sandrail, Lathe Standoffs for aftermarket electrical radiator fan for friends 'stang, lathe

Lots of stuff. http:/home.lightspeed.net/~gunner/myshop some commercial examples of small stuff on lathes

( I service, install and set up the machines that cut these parts)

Gunner

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, nonaddictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or the secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious or secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

May you have a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2005, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make the world great, and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, political belief, choice of computer platform, or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself or himself or others, is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is under warranty to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and the warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Reply to
Gunner

wrote in news:DZuzd.3113$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

About anything round that has a shape to it. A bolt or screw. Your car wheels. Your FRPP 3.73 gears.

Now all you need is to jerk out that puny motor, and put in a real one :)

How about an old 406FE. :)

63-1/2 Galaxy 500 406 FE Factory 3-2bbl Balanced, blueprinted Forged pistons Crower dual-pattern Cam, Crower dual springs Harland Sharp roller rockers Mild port clean up Top-Loader 4-speed 31 spline 9-inch with 4:11 gears - limited slip with hi-rate springs Dyno Results: 565 hp @ 5820, 710 lb-ft of torque @ 3790 Car weight: ~2 tons + (It is made of real STEEL) Drag strip results: Best of 7.99 ET-1/8 mile on P265/60-R15 Eagle ST street tires (never tried slicks..hard enough to keep axles in it as it was). Number of 9-inch 31-spline axles wrung in two: 4 (short side all 4 times in 2nd gear, at ~3800 RPM) Current state of vehicle: Mostly disassembled for restoration/modification (slight tubbing - shorter/larger axles to deal with the breakage problem), and it will go on a serious diet. Should be able to remove up to 1500 lbs via fiberglass replacement panels, etc (the bumpers alone weight well over 100 lbs each). Gotta get the garage finished first tho :/
Reply to
Anthony

You can use a lathe to make another lathe.

Mostly used to make round parts but can be used to make blocks or adding keyways to the I.D. of a hole.

An old school test for the lathe operator.... make a block from round stock? Jack

Reply to
Jack

Woooow... that's a lotta stuff a lathe can do!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

shaping/carving/whatever

Reply to
<memset

Wow! A bit easier to understand... that's pretty cool!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

See

an example

Reply to
Don Foreman

One of my favorite projects on my SB9 was a block of cast iron with 14 flat surfaces. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Not only that, but tapers, offsets, and you can even turn flats by facing off on a faceplate. Then add a mill attachment, mount the work on a toolpost (basically) and a cutter in the headstock and you can mill anything.

Or get a mill. A purpose-built machine is always more solid.

Tim

Tim Williams

Well it seems that lathes have tons of possible uses ;). I appreciate all of the fantastic examples! And I appreciate even more than you all managed to resist making fun of me for asking such a newbie question :). Have a good one!