Machinability ratings

Going to machine some 3/4" alloy 630 extruded nickel-aluminum bronze alloy. It shows a machinability rating of 30, with FC brass being 100%. I would guess with this machinability rating, there are some problems drilling and machining this material. This alloy 630 is comparable to Ampco-45. What should I be looking for, as far a cutting speeds, lubricant, and cutting bits (HSS or other)? Plan to make a couple oversized valve guides, if I can get the hang of machining this material. Larry

Reply to
Larry & Cindy

Slow speeds, light feeds and sharp tools. Don't let your tools get dull, and watch that your drill doesn't seize in the hole. Some of the copper alloys are truly a bitch to drill. You may find carbide (C2 grade) will hold up quite well as opposed to HSS---but you'll need to be able to sharpen the tool unless you have inserts. I'd suggest only positive rake for this stuff. It is likely to have characteristics much like the 300 series stainless (except for 303 S or Se), tough, but not hard, so handle it much the same way. Sulfur based oil will seriously discolor it, so use lard oil if you have it. Should cut clean. I'm betting it won't drill well.. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos