Made another whatsit

--I've got a bum leg so when I go to events that require a lot of hoofing I bring along my 'shooting stick'; i.e. a cane that has a fold-out butt rest on top. It also makes one leg of a good 'tripod' for eye-level photography. But at air shows, where things I want to record are above my head it's a bit vertigo-inducing so I came up with this thing:

--So am I nuts or does this look like a good idea?

Reply to
steamer

(...)

Yes.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Not having sat on it, I can't say for sure, but it looks like a good way to wind up ass over appetite to me. Especially on a hard surface. That, and I would gusset the welds at the bottom of the backrest.

I'm sorry to be negative on this.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Looks like a good idea! Both for air shows and bird watching. Looks awfully sturdy, however. Steel, aluminum or titanium?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Resplendent in a green teeshirt this year, Steamer dressed as a cocktail olive."

--Winston :)

Reply to
Winston

>>> --So am I nuts or does this look like a good idea?

Bwahahahahahaha! Good 'un, Winnie. :)

-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Reply to
Larry Jaques

--I used steel; main brace is 3/4" square tube with maybe an .09" wall. Cylinder at base was turned from a hunk of 1" bar, 2" long. Headrest was hammered to shape and is made of 1/8" x 2" wide plate. Definite overkill in all components but it's definitely sturdy.. :-)

Reply to
steamer

--It ain't quite that extreme! Here's what I started with:

--They're damn handy on long walks!

Reply to
steamer

OH! I couldn't see any of the upper butt rest portion, so I figured it was impalement, pure and simple. My mistake. ;)