Metal Chair repair

OK ... this should be simple enough.... thats what I thought...

My Husband has one of those metal reclining chairs with the ottoman in the living room...

One of the bolts broke off that holds the back to the arm...

We got a bolt extractor which has now broken off...

I though maybe if I cut that off and drilled the hole back out I could thread a jewlers saw blade through and cut the bolt in quarters and then pry them out.... but I'm not sure I could drill through that extractor.

Any Ideas folks??

thanks in advance......

KJ

Reply to
handysmurf

is there any way to drill a new hole for a new bolt.

Ignoramus5275

If you've got a whole lot of time and patience you could probably pick away at it with a carbide burr in a Dremel and get it and the extractor out that way. You might have to retap for the next larger fastener or Helicoil the hole to get the original thread size back again if you remove too much of the original hole threads.

If the whole arm is metal, and you can remove it from the rest of the chair you could try and find a cooperative machine shop with EDM capability and have them "burn it out".

Knowing what a great gang of guys inhabit this newsgroup, I'd hazard a guess that someone would be willing to have a go at doing that for you gratis if you'd stand the shipping costs.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"handysmurf" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

  1. Use a smaller-diameter carbide masonery bit to drill a pilot hole in the extractor.
  2. Use a sheetmetal screw to unscrew the extractor.

  1. Use a new extractor to remove the bolt.

Reply to
RAM^3

Greetings Jeff, That's a good idea! Easyouts are as hard-and as brittle-as glass. Removing one of them without the proper tools is a huge pain in the butt. I will now volunteer to repair the part for free. But the shipping needs to be paid both ways. Eric R Snow, E T Precision Machine

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Thank you very much but shipping would be prohibitive. The whole base and arms are welded to make one piece. So the size alone would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a 4' cube.

Sounds like my best option at this point is to drill it out and tap a larger hole....

Reply to
handysmurf

the extractor itself is only about 3/16" so no drilling a pilot hole ... lol

Reply to
handysmurf

"handysmurf" wrote: Any Ideas folks?? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Do you have access to an acetylene torch? I would heat it red hot, and then cool it slowly, to anneal it. Then it ought to be soft enough to drill. Or blast it with a cutting torch, and then weld in a new threaded sleeve of some sort (something like a coupler nut.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"handysmurf" wrote: Thank you very much but shipping would be prohibitive. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why don't you give your location--a helpful person with the right equipment may not be too far away.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

If you do get the bolt out without damaging the thread, you might want to replace the bolt with a high tensile bolt to reduce the chance of the failure occuring again.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The extractor is too hard to drill except with carbide.

It sounds as though you can get to to the other end of the bolt. If so, drill the bolt until you hit the extractor, then knock it out with a pin punch. Then you can drill larger until you hit threads, or try the trick with the jewelers saw. It will be slow, but should work.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Have you ever tried to drill hardened steel with a masonery bit?

Have you ever tried to do this freehand on a char handle?

If you have deilled a hole in a piece of hardened steel were you ever sucessfull in using a sheet metal screw to grab in a hole drilled into a chunk of hardened steel?

How may extractors are you going to sacrifice before you go to plan "B"?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yep!

It worked well for what I needed it for.

Not exactly a "precision" bit, but CHEAP!

Dunno about "chars", but if the OP was able to drill the bolt freehand, drilling the extractor won't be any more difficult.

Slower, perhaps, but no more difficult.

All that is needed is for the taper of the sheetmetal screw to enable it to jam against the side wall of the drilled hole.

The purpose of the sheetmetal screw is to be an extractor extractor.

2: The broken [perhaps defective] one and, if too much force is applied, a replacement.
Reply to
RAM^3

In which case, use the carbide bit [they're available in that size] to drill out the extractor.

Reply to
RAM^3