milling feeds

I just got around to installing the powerfeed on my ancient Bridgeport. My DRO has a function for reading the feed rate. I assume it's in inches per minute. If I'm flycutting something at 200 rpm, (single flycutter) that's 200 cuts per minute. If I adjust to 1"/minute that's .005"/cut. If I'm trying for a fine finish on cast iron, is that about right? Way too slow?

I am pretty ignorant about feed rates. Anyone care to elucidate?

GWE W. Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

That's probably good. You want a cutting edge that is either very smoohtly rounded (in profile to the cut material) or nearly flat across an area slightly greater than your .005 advance per cutting edge. I usually go for the rounded cutter, as it is easier to make. If the cutting edge is sharply pointed (like a lathe threading tool) it will make narrow grooves in the surface.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson