necking/expanding thinwall aluminum

I am prototyping an invention that has a thinwall aluminum inner core of

5/16" on one half and 1/4" on the other.

My attempt to neck it down failed, as it buckled and bent.

I guess there are dies for such a thing, but I'm pretty clueless.

Having noticed how well my tubing cutter necked the tube before it cut it, I wondered if there are any simple roller necking devices, preferably something to be used with a drill press. I know that roller necking devices are used in mass production, and I am looking at potentially making thousands of these.

Reply to
Robert Haston

What you are attempting is called swaging. A three roller tool can be made to do this, but if you are looking for an extended length of swage on the tubng, relative to it's length, you may have to resort to a commercial swager. Torrington is one of the manufacturers. Unless you have a screw machine or similar lathe-type tool, I suggest the swaging machine for thousands. Standard cam rollers with the leading edge rounded off on a belt sander and buffed smooth work well in short swages. They are mounted in a triangular pattern in slotted adjust ment holes on a holder and forced over the rotating tubing or vice-versa. Good location control is going to be needed, and expect crinkled tubing until you get the learning curve downpat. Use lube on it in the rollers.

No affiliation, just a regular user.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Thanks.

The finished product is 2.6" of 1/4" OD, 1.4" of 5/16"

I was thinking of a roller device like you said. I wish they were off the shelf.

I'll go back and try to do a more gentle two stage press with an internal support for the tubing. Maybe a Teflon sleeve.

I'll probably have a local shop do the first production run.

Reply to
Robert Haston

I would think necking up would be easier than necking down. A hardened and polished steel mandrel should be easy to force into one end of 1/4" blank chucked in a lathe. Should be easy with something like 3003 aluminum tubing. You might have to experiment with the mandrel diameter if your tolerance is tight.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian