OT: Designing Veterans Memorial

I'm designing a small veterans memorial chapel so that the rising (or setting, haven't decided) sun will highlight a list of casualties killed on that date.

I have the sun altitude and azimuth for every day of the year at our lat/long from the Naval Observatory.

My question is: what are some ways to direct the sunlight through the east or west wall. I've thought of a very thick wall with fixed vertical slits. That would illuminate a long list. The angle of the different slits would 'move' the light across the wall each day.

Some type of projection lens would work but 365 would get expensive. Perhaps a motorized slat arrangement. We want to keep it passive if possible. Our projection distance may be too short for daily and we have go to weekly lists. Or simply timed spot lights.

Suggestions?

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I personally believe that you should be focusing more on the casualties themselves rather than a tacky, theatrical presentation.

How about a diffused source of gently colored light that simultaneously illuminates all names of all those that gave their lives? A simple and tasteful sound system courld quietly read their names in the background.

Works for me...

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Dignity is more important than showmanship. The chapel should be a simple tribute to and remembrance of the fallen soldiers rather than an exhibit of your technical prowess.

I hope you're doing this as a pro bono expression of respect rather than for profit.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The sun moves about 1/4 degree per day, average, but the movement is nonlinear [read sine function], becoming very slight at the soltices. if you want 6" [average movement] you'l need at least a 40' building to track the sun's movement. The math will get pretty interesting. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

As 'Bugs' pointed out, the point of sunrise or sunset isn't going to change much day to day. Plus you also want light to NOT shine on the panels that are are to be dim. One approach might be to put the name panels on the North wall and use a thin vertical mirror mounted at a distance north of the building to reflect the morning or evening light onto the appropriate place. Then you just need to bump a simple stepper motor to move the mirror slightly each day.

Steve. I love these mental challenges.

Reply to
SteveF

Hum...It does sound a bit "theatrical" for my taste, but, that does not matter as, the last time I checked, you were not trying to get cash out of my pocket for it *smile*. Now...having said that...what you are wanting to build here is, basically, a sundial. One of the best references I have read is "Sundials - Their Theory and Construction", by Albert E Waugh (available from Dover Books, last time I checked). As one might expect, it goes into exacting detail about why sundials work, and, the methods of construction of both the "typical" "stick and shadow" style, and, (more to YOUR point) the "moving dot" types of Sundials. It is a challenging puzzle...and, frankly, I suspect that your second idea (timed spotlights) would be a LOT simpler to put together. Alternatively, you could make it a large wall...and have a plotter-type arrangement of arms that would move a magnifying glass over the names of the day...Hum...now that I think about it (and getting some metalworking content back into the discussion), I DO see industrial robot arms on Ebay and other places for fairly small chunks of cash. How about a backdrop of ALL the names, and a robotic arm in front that would pick up and hold a slab of stainless steel with the names of the day engraved on it. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Strictly, including the land, building and perpetual maintenance.

I appreciate the comments; especially of dignity and respect.

We few vets were trying to design it so it would not need any power. The object was to use the available light to focus on that particular day.

I now see another problem with that. Other than the soltices, the 'beam' would pass each position twice, on different dates. Won't work without moving the plates semi-annually. Scratch that idea.

To give you a glimpse of my situation. Two acre sight, no trees, seasonal creek on one side, possibility of a Huey helicopter on pedestal. Our unit was a gunship company. Plans are also for a tutoring/mentoring center for at-risk kids. All in a park like setting.

Other suggestions or recommendations? Any similar memorials that impressed you.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I came in completely late on this and have no clue what the whole thing is about. However, being the (insert expletive here) that I am, I wanted to chime one thing in. Most memorials to soldiers (and other heroes for that matter) are boring as hell because they focus on the myth of bravery/duty/strength. It becomes almost like a comic book portrayal of what life is really like.

My preference for these types of things is where they include the mundane day to day stuff that shows we're still speaking of PEOPLE rather than some mythical/created version of reality. 99.99% of people who perform heroic deeds are just average Joe until faced with something that tested their mettle. Show the average Joe aspect too.

Koz (who clarifies that he has no clue about the original request so may be waaaaaaay off in left field)

Reply to
Koz

Hey Andy,

Contrary to what others have replied, I think it's a nice idea. Don't give up on a good and unique thing too quickly.

It does have a lot of things to work out though, I think. Most of all is that even if you do get the light to shine on a given spot on a given day, it will only do so at a specific time of that day.

Take care.

Brian Laws>>

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Could you simplify the design by focusing just on the dates your unit arrived and left Vietnam?

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

| >vertical slits. That would illuminate a long list. The angle of the | >different slits would 'move' the light across the wall each day. | >

| >Some type of projection lens would work but 365 would get expensive. | >Perhaps a motorized slat arrangement. We want to keep it passive if | >possible. Our projection distance may be too short for daily and we | >have go to weekly lists. Or simply timed spot lights.

Reply to
carl mciver

Roger that. I'd be glad to help if I can with what I can offer: some analytical ability, design of elex and perhaps machining some parts. Whatever I might do would be pro bono.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Andy, your proposal (in general terms) is a brilliant one (IMNSHO)!

The problems of time of day, inclination, fussy nature of the complete design (etc etc) are considerable, but not overwhelming.

The benefits are practically inexpressible.

Hells Teeth! The Druids could work out similar (granted, simpler) problems

5000 years ago at Stonehenge. What a thrill to design a monument that could last for scores of generations!

Stick it out! Persevere! Keep it totally passive. No mirrors (they lose their silver), no prisms (they crack and cloud), for Gawsake, no motors/lights/sliding panels etc. That would be an admission of defeat.

Just holes in the wall and beams of sunlight.

Sigghhh. What a vision.

Only catch I can see is that, if it were commemorating *me*, it'd be cloudy on that day every year.

Keep at it! And please let us know how its going.

-- Jeff R. (Sydney, Aust.)

Reply to
Jeff R

Don, that is a very generous offer and genuine, I believe. I knew I could mine this group for ideas but hadn't anticipated active participation. I've received other offers. I sincerely appreciate them.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

You've certainly given me something to think about. Perhaps a curved north wall where a vertical beam would illuminate every name every day, only at different times. I can see the first order of business is to determine the number of plaques which will govern plaque size which will determine wall area.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Count me in for whatever I can do. Shrug may not be much.

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Reply to
Gunner

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Don Foreman wrote back on Fri, 25 Feb 2005 01:55:59

-0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Mmmm. If you can use the technical prowess to make it wonderful and not look it ...

I've been told many times that "plain" silver work is the most expensive, because there is nothing to hide the tool marks.

Wheres this at again? Have tool belt, will travel.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich