Pardon my interruption with a metalworking post

OK, so only half of it is.

Wouldn't you love one of these RC units, maybe with a pair of Ma Deuces hung front and rear?

So, on to the metalworking part:

I had been getting more and more seasick this past week, so I flipped my office chair over this morning and found the trouble. One of the

1/8" thick steel fingers had finally snapped off, one holding the tilt adjustment together. I took the chair apart, moved tons of crap out of the way in my shop so I could roll the TIG to the doorway and work outside, used the HFT 4" angle grinder to make some metal clean, and tigged that li'l pup back together. A little flat black spray paint and I was back in business about an hour later.

It sure is nice to have the tools and knowledge to be able to do things like this myself. I had repaired part of this task about 4 years ago when the rivet made its way loose. A bolt kept it together for another 4. I had evidently missed the cracked finger back then, as part of the break was dull, the other bright. It's not a pretty weld, but I got some more practice in on it. It's still fire season and this was not quite legal, but I hosed down the walk and grass all around it for 25' so there was no chance of a spark igniting anything during my one minute of welding.

The chair itself was a good high-backed exec style from Staples I bought as a gift to myself, hmm, maybe 2 decades ago. It's really hangin' in there. The thick foam is still perfectly sound, as is the black fabric. Given the amount of time I spend in it, it has proven to be a very good investment, perhaps good enough to go another decade.

Oh, one last thing before I go:

What would you use to cut up half of a truck utility bed into its component panels? It was a freebie from Craigslist a decade ago. My knee was acting up a the time so I never got back to pick up the front half. (Nope, no idea why the idiot would have cut it in half in the first place.) I think it runs from 12ga to 9ga diamond plate.

Anyway, I'll save the doors and hinges as units, but need to cut the steel panels near the welds. I'm thinking to use a cutoff wheel to get to the corners, making slots wide enough for a recip blade to do the actual panel cutting. I think that both HFT and Ace bimetal blades are available (broke the last 6" 24tpi Lenox last year) so I'll do a longevity test on each of 'em, starting with the HFT.

This is one of the little tasks I've been waiting to get around to once I retired.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ignoramus32044

I would use a cutting torch or a plasma cutter. It's quiet, fast and doesn't beat you up with the vibration.

Reply to
BobH

Well, aren't you the freakin' purist today? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No tanks for my torch set, and there is no way I'm single handedly loading that thing back in my truck to take down to Glenn's to use his plasma cutter. Yeah, plasma is the perfect way to dissect that thing.

Reply to
Larry Jaques