polyurethane chuck jaws for a lathe

I'm facing the ends of some 303 SS TGP and wandering if having jaws made from polturethane would grip the stock well enough.

Anyone try this??

I cover the jaws with electrical tape now so they don't stratch the stock.

I did another job where I had to turn and thread the ends 1/2-13 with a geometric type head, think they'd work for that? The tape trick did.

I've seen Poly used for press brake dies, so.....

Reply to
rbraun

I'd suggest that if the cuts were light enough, you might get away with plastic. Problem is it's ability to cold flow---which it might do under enough pressure. Not the best of all worlds.

I get the idea you can mount soft jaws---otherwise you wouldn't be talking about using plastic.

Any reason why you don't use either aluminum or steel? Properly machined, they'll run, for all practical purposes, dead nuts (

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On very delicate material, I'm using strips of brass 0.05mm "thick".

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I might give aluminum a try since I have it on hand. I was thinking plastic because these are 24" long 3/4" dia. and I only like to open the chuck just enough to slide them in/out. 200 pcs BTW.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Sounds like a good job for a collet.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

A fine finish on the jaws, coupled with a tiny radius on the outside edge should prevent any marking. I see your problem, the length must be passed without longitudinal marking. Any doubts, hit all sharp edges with some 180 polishing cloth to remove whiskers. Soft jaws will work-----and if all you're doing is facing, and maybe cutting a chamfer, even if the material varies a little more than a thou in diameter, you should still get good results. If you have to hold concentricity----could be questionable if size varies. You'll come to discover that this method will hold your material far better than a collet, assuming you make the length of engagement reasonably long in length. I use soft jaws in place of hardened jaws routinely---for that reason.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos