Pretty good cutting fluid for aluminum

Some while ago Ernie mentioned that limonene is a really good cutting fluid for machining aluminum.

Just for the heck of it I bought a bottle of "Goo-Gone". The label doesn't say what's in it other than some mention of "citrus power". Maybe limonene?

I tried it for turning and parting off aluminum, probably 6063, with HSS toolbits. It worked very nicely (better than Tapamatic I think), left a nice finish, it's cheap, readily available and it even smells good.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Yeah, but yer shop is going to smell like a girly shop. That's sort of sacreligious--almost like having a clean shop. . Others have claimed WD-40 is da bomb for aluminum, having a kerosene base. It's $10-11/gal at HD. Is your stuff as cheap?

Unlikely that the limonene is a factor, as it's likely only 1% of the product, if that. More likely whatever the bulk ingredient.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Try Diesel fuel. It works a treat. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

It stinks very badly. I like its smell in small quantities, but not in large quantities.

Ignoramus11870

Why don't you use coolant fluid? Plain old water with soluble oil? Works really good for Al too. Alcohol and all the other suggested crap like diesel fuel aren't good for your health and also bit risky in the shop. Also, alcohol doesn't lube, it only cools.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Considering what crap it is, it works quite good for cutting Al. :-) But it's too expensive for that application.

Now what was the application it is worth buying it? ... AHH!! Remove the gum left behind by ... WD-40!

I like cyclic products that have a recursive application. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Any vegetable based grease will work.

Pam is one of the easiest ones to use with the pressurized spray can.

John

Reply to
john

Beer?

John

Reply to
john

Yesterday I bought a gallon of WD-40 for lubing aluminum. I am makiing some 24" discs for the wife. The racoons are eating her out of house and home at her bird feeders and she hopes that the discs will act like "rat guards" to keep the critters from climbing the poles and tipping the whole work over. Anyway, the AL is, I think,

2024 as it cuts like crap and clogs the flutes of the end mill if I don't keep an eagle eye on it. The WD-40 worked well using a spray bottle and giving regurlar squirts on the tool.

When I get the discs assembled on the poles I will snap a photo and post it.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

Don,

Be careful with this stuff. Wear gloves, goggles, and a mask. In addition to sensitizing your skin, you can give yourself occupational asthma from inhalation of the d-limonene and orange terpenes (as far as I can read, it has not yet been determined which ingredient does what).

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I prefer drinking it (after work). May be different for what *you* call "beer". :-))

Nick, Munich, Bavaria.

Reply to
Nick Mueller

New or used?

Wasting new beer is a crime.

In the privacy of your own shop, I don't care what you do with used beer.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

I have the same problem with both racoons and squirels. I did not go to disks as big as you have. Instead got some fairly large stainless pot lids from Saint Vincent de Paul. The pole I have is some rebar so the racoons have a slightly hard time climbing it anyway. The pot lid is not rigid to the pole so when they grab onto the outside, it tilts.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Trust me on this, some of the beer here in the USA is better off wasted...

Our offerings/choices have improved though in the past 20 or so years since Carter loosened up the brewing regs. There are some really dandy/yummy brews available now and you can find them most anywhere.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Hi Errol,

Go to your favorite local supplier that carries PVC pipe and buy some 4-6 inch diameter stuff. Cut it to 5-6 foot length and slip it over your pole holding up the bird feeder. They have a hard time getting a grip on this stuff. Some guys say that 6 inch stove pipe works fine too and that can be wrapped around the pole without removing the feeder.

Remember squirrels can jump straight up about 6 feet and can leap 8 to 10 feet from buildings, branches, wires... you might as well plan on keeping them off too. If you've got Flying Squirrels all bets are off. They defy gravity.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The niece's boyfriend at the time bought a rotating gizmo for the bird feeders, battery-powered, supposed to sling the tree rats off ala carousel when they hit the lid. Would have liked to have seen it in action, but the sister's all-meat, twin 15 lb cats can jump up into the trees and have taken care of the tree rats as well as regular rats, mice, voles and the occasional rabbit. Self-powered with 4 legs beats battery power in this case. Coons go after the sweet corn, not the bird feeders.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

We tried the PVC trick but it wasn't very successful. At the local greasy spoon this AM we chatted with our local state trooper and he suggested a .410 solution to the problem. I don't own any firearms (no prejudice just don't happen to own any) so I will have to check with my son the corrections officer and see what he has. Or I will ask at school tomorrow if anyone has something I can borrow.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

My neighbor has the answer for squirrels. He tacked a length of old 300 twin TV wire on the top edge of the feeder. He bared the top edges of the wire and connected to an old Ford coil and a switch in the house. When a squirrel gets on it he powers the coil. Said he had to tie the roof down on the feeder because the squirrel would knock it off when they went straight up!

Reply to
Ralph Henrichs

There is a formula for this situation.

,177@ >860fps = SPLAT

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

I think you will find that killing is a temporary solution. My neighbor is soft hearted and has trapped racoons and transported them off the island far enough away that they undoubtedly did not come back. But other racoons soon took up the slack.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster