Re: How to make iron filings?

Run magnets through sand, by your windowsill(or any place that collects a lot of dust, really)and try your best to remove the filings from the magnet. It ain't easy!

Reply to
amtesla038

Put the magnet inside a heavy plastic bag first. Turn the bag inside out to remove iron filings.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Good idea, that way, your filings are all bagged.

I was thinking of the various sorts of "Magnetic picker uppers" where the magnet is inside a not magnetic housing (usually plastic) and having "swept up" the steel bits, you can then pull a handle, move the magnet away from the bottom, and "clatter' they fall off into a bucket.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@pccsk12.com on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:18:58 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

That's not how you make them

That is one way to collect iron filing.

To make them, take a block of cheap iron/steel, and a file. Or a grinder. Or a sander. Or just rub the metal on the concrete.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Or rub your magic credit card and make a wish to the Amazon genie.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 20:18:16

That works too. But where is the sense of craftsmanship, of having accomplished something? Yeah, sure you have to wait two whole days for it to arrive, but. Meh, kids these days ....

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I sincerely hope my efforts produce more than chips. You don't feed animals just for the manure.

Besides, it does seem sorta magical that I can click on a picture and the real thing appears at my door.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Sun, 12 Jan 2020 07:17:49

True. Unless you're in the cow pie business. (I recall a short story where alien tourists took a shine to cow pies, and they became Big Business. Right up until the tourist fashions changed, and the ones who bought cow pies, no longer came.)

Yep.

Once again, we're in the conflict between "I need one ASAP" and "I want to make it myself." I can make a cabinet, or buy one at Amazon / Walmart."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I had to make that choice quite often in my career of building prototypes and custom equipment. Usually it hinged on deadline vs budget rather than my abilities and wishes. Generally I made only what I couldn't buy, because it wasn't yet available. I couldn't usually compete cost-wise with better-equipped manufacturers.

My collection of vintage electronic lab equipment has needed parts I had to machine fom scratch, a Variac carbon brush assembly and the oddball coaxial connector on one end of an HP spectrum analyzer interconnect cable.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You can collect iron filings by swishing a (plastic bagged) magnet around in a bowl of Wheaties cereal. Not kidding.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Do you suppose they are an added mineral supplement, or from wear in the packaging machinery?

Jim Wilkins

There are chemical techniques for producing finely divided metal particles. Ask a chem prof.

Reply to
gray_wolf

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Mon, 13 Jan 2020 08:13:54

Exactly (as in I understand and agree). My house needs some repairs. And while I'm at it, might as well do X, Y, Z, A, B, C ...X1, Y1, Z1 too. Many of which are way out of my ability. Add to that, the only way I can afford to do all that, is to win the lottery, at which point "it would be simpler to take the screen door off and put it on a new house." Overhauling this place doesn't pencil out - for me. If I was thirty years younger, it might. In the mean time ... lets do what we can with what we have.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Why is everyone missing the obvious - USE A FILE!!!!! Rub it on mild steel, or a casting, and make PURE iron filings, not mixed with carborundum or other abrasives or other chemical compounds.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

pyotr had that three days ago, but it's just too obvious for rcm. First, you have to dig an iron mine. then you have to smelt. then you have to make steel for the file. then you have to make the file. then you have to harden it. THEN you can start filing the iron.

Far easier to just buy a box of Wheaties.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Ask me, I was a chemist before the Army taught me computer electronics.

Jim Wilkins

I needed while to remember "Raney". This is the simple, low tech, non-toxic method we learned to prepare finely divided nickel:

Jim Wilkins

Check Adams catalyst. This technique can an used on Palladium and other noble metals. Iron may need a different tack.

Reply to
gray_wolf

Here'a a doc at the American Chemical Society:

I haven't bought any breakast cereal for 40 years but I suppose I'm going to have to buy some Wheaties (my favorite, tied with Cheerios,

65 years ago) and try that.

There's a tradition dating back to colonial times that women could maintain health by putting (what was then a wrought iron) nail in a glass of water each night, drinking the water in the morning.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Jim Wilkins