Knife Control in the U.K.

Posted on May 29, 2018 by John Hinderaker in Crime, gun control

Knife Control in the U.K. Firearms aren't common in the U.K., so they are experiencing an epidemic of "knife crime." Also acid attacks. Now proposals for knife control are being floated:

A judge wants the points of kitchen knives to be rounded and blunted to reduce the number of young men dying from stab wounds in street attacks.

Judge Nic Madge said ordinary kitchen knives were causing a "soaring loss of life", rather than more heavily regulated large-bladed weapons. *** Knife crime rose by 22% in England and Wales in 2017, according to the Office for National Statistics.

"Kitchens contain lethal knives which are potential murder weapons and only butchers and fishmongers need eight or 10 inch kitchen knives with points," the judge said.

Much like discussion in the U.S. about whether people "need" guns.

He wants manufacturers to produce knives with rounded points for domestic use and those with points to be sold under strict rules.

I take it the "strict rules" would be a ban on sales to anyone other than butchers and fishmongers. Or maybe buyers would have to register their sharp-pointed knives, for whatever good that might do. It all makes sense, I guess, if you think the cause of "knife crime" is knives.

Reply to
raykeller

You will likely find that *somebody* has probably said just any kind of dumb shit you can imagine. It never ceases to amaze me what stupid things people will say.

In most states of the US, it's illegal to carry a butcher's knife. I think a switchblade is still illegal by federal law... they used to be, anyway. I dunno why; how is a switchblade any more harmful than any other? I wouldn't carry one because I'd worry about it popping open in my pocket.

Jones

Reply to
!Jones

Shut, what do you find dumb about the statement, dumbshit?

Truth is that criminals heavily favor ordinary steak knives as deadly weapons because they are small enough to conceal, but still long enough to kill LOTS of people have been killed with them. They are easy to dispose of and easy to deny they are yours.

So why do you think that any kind of ban will make sense? The main purpose of such laws is to get attention for the sponsors and give the appearance of doing something. The more wild-looking the weapon the more attention it gives you.

Of course in your world criminals always obey laws and any signs they encounter so that banning scary switchblades will certainly curb crime. I mean GANGS love switchblades, right? NOBODY needs a knife that opens that fast! They are the semiauto assault weapons of knives. Banning them is just common sense. I know you agree with all this.

Reply to
benj