Re: My Autodark is Broken

On 7/29/2018 10:43 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I absolutely did not plan to buy the Harbor Freight Vulcan at $139 dollars when there were other helmets with similar features for less money. However I was working on my welding table yesterday, and I just got tired of fighting with my slightly too dark fixed lens helmet and my way to dark Lincoln Autodark. I texted my wife a link to the HF Vulcan and said if you have the cash buy one. She texted me back asking if I wanted one or two. LOL. Well, it worked pretty good. It had some inconsistency issues, but overall it worked pretty good. I figured I would take it back today and trade it for another one, but first I wanted to check the battery. Well, the battery was still in a plastic bag inside the box. After installing the battery all the little inconsistencies went away. Its not bad. It is a 4 sensor module with a huge field of view.
Then I decided to take a look at the module on my Lincoln. I was using it as an inspectors helmet while my son was placing some welds, and it just wasn't tripping. Huh? It worked ok when I got up close to the weld but standing back nothing. So I decided to check the battery on it. If it has one its not replaceable. Dang it. Just an overpriced low end Harbor Freight Helmet with a sealed unit and a fancy name. I would like to have a second autodark if only so the two of us can work together on more difficult to handle assemblies. The whole unit comes out easy enough, but the seams are all heat fusion joined.
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 20:04:56 -0700

Try searching on 'Lincoln Autodark battery repair'. There are several articles, youtube videos. Not sure if they look like yours or not. I posted some links/info for the HF helmet repair previous in this thread. That may be similar enough to help. They are sealed too if I remember correctly...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message wrote:

Try searching on 'Lincoln Autodark battery repair'. There are several articles, youtube videos. Not sure if they look like yours or not. I posted some links/info for the HF helmet repair previous in this thread. That may be similar enough to help. They are sealed too if I remember correctly...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 10:55:57 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

ow

bor

The price of just the auto darking lens is amazingly low. I looked on Alie xpress ( my favorite place for low cost Chinese products ) and the lowest price I found was $3.88 including shipping. So look and see how the lens is removable from the helmet and then look for a replacement lens that wil l fit.
I used duct tape to hold a auto darking lens onto a old welding helmet for a while. It worked , but the duct tape is not a permanent solution. Since then my son gave me a auto darking helmet.
I actually figured out how to make a auto darking welding helmet and submit ted a request for a patent to my employer. They reviewed the idea and deci ded it was not worthwhile to pursue getting a patent. I was working on a N avy contract and there was some clause in that contract that made getting a patent less profitable. I did not see a auto darking helmet advertised un til about three years after my submission of the idea. So it was very like ly that someone else had already patented the idea.
Dan
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 07:55:53 -0700
<snip>

I'm a cheap skate, it would hang around as parts or I'd try fixing it :)
One of the HF repairs consists of removing the old batteries, after cutting it open. Then soldering in wires that go to a new battery pack mounted inside the helmet. Nothing all that difficult if you can solder little stuff.
It if is truly the same module as HF you might want to try leaving it where the sun can shine on it for a bit before you try using it. That sometimes gets them going again.
The cheap HF model has a terrible helmet design. Nothing above the top back of your head. I've had several hot dingle berries come bouncing in for a visit while welding with it. And I don't weld much anymore...
Did you use the HF discount coupon for $129.99 that expired yesterday for the new one? If not keep your receipt and I'll watch for another coupon to turn up. You should be able to use it to refund the difference, even after the sale.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message wrote:
<snip>

I'm a cheap skate, it would hang around as parts or I'd try fixing it :)
One of the HF repairs consists of removing the old batteries, after cutting it open. Then soldering in wires that go to a new battery pack mounted inside the helmet. Nothing all that difficult if you can solder little stuff.
********* Actually I think I found a drop in lens cartridge for that helmet that has a replaceable battery. Cheap too. The same company had one a dollar less without a replaceable battery. Exact same size.
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2054502.m570.l1311.R4.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xautodark.TRS0&_nkw=auto+darkening+welding+lens&_sacat=0
You will notice that there are hundreds of different moduals available on Ebay for as little as $4
Yep. Ordered one yesterday. Funny part was the same vendor listed 1 with a replaceable battery and several options without a replaceable battery. Just a couple dollars difference from highest to lowest.