OT: Cordless drill powered bike

Me like. Like its predecessor using a low power Dewalt cordless drill, this one rocks. Now that Dewalt makes 9 amp hour batteries we are talking some serious distance. I think it's better than a hub moter with its conglomerate of peripherals. Throttle control is a cheep Revo shifter with the latching mechanism removed. Simple as pie. It requires a freewheeling pedal hub (like on drift trikes) and a method for attaching the drill to the freewheeling pedal hub axle.

That one is unfinished, but gives the general idea. (let me know if you have trouble viewing, will provide pictures apart from Flickr)

My 5 amp hour batteries are plenty for now. A round trip to the local megastore easily on one battery (no spares). I just got caught in a rainstorm coming back from buying some groceries. Put a grocery bag over the drill and its battery, tied tightly, and rode through the downpour.

Reply to
John Doe

John Doe wrote in news:pmkq3o$au2$1@dont- email.me:

I would try to use a motor from one of those carts all the old folk are using now. The controller too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

When I worked for Segway I experimented with how they fit into lifestyles. They might be fine for urban apartment dwellers in ice-free climates but anything less than a car doesn't work if you have a house in the suburbs. For me the minimum is a smaller SUV with a roof rack to carry lumber and roofing panels. I just brought home a compact refrigerator in it. Bicycles and motorcycles are nearly useless in northern winters.

I attended an electric vehicle show that a local college hosted and test-drove the BMW i3, which is a blast to drive though impractical for my use, with its EPA-rule-limited tiny gas tank. They can travel 3 to 4 miles per KWH which brings them into the range of practicability to recharge with a rooftop solar array.

The cost per mile using grid power is ~2/3 of my gasoline Honda's. The initial cost for a new one is ridiculous but off-lease ones were reasonable.

I already recharge most of my batteries (except NiCad/Nimh) with solar power and home made charge controllers. Lead-acids are easy. Lithium isn't too difficult but you need to know and strictly observe the voltage and current limitations of the batteries you have. When NiCads are too dead for their dedicated charger they can be partially charged and restored to service.

If you can't design circuits this does the job, though it may hop below the maximum power point and draw Isc short-circuit current at low voltage from the panel. A linear regulator is more stable.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I fixed Mobility equipment between high tech jobs, as R&D employment is intermittent. Yes the second-hand motors and controllers could be useful but I decided not to divert them from the grey market of repairing powered wheel chairs for people not reimbursed by insurance. Big Brother's health care bureaucracy can be very challenging for those who aren't fully functional.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I still say it is a STUPID idea and a terrible bodge.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

John Doe wrote in news:pmr2b3$ui4$2@dont- email.me:

You seem to have this habit of going from actual discussion on a topic to this retarded punk f*ck jackass making stupid cracks.

Fuck you asswipe. Your decision to use this motor to drive a bike is lame. Just like you.

I used a 1950s auto generator hooked up tp operate as a motor on my "go cart" back in 1971.

I was doing electromotive drives back when you were an even more retarded dumbfuck than you are now.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Doe wrote in news:pmr34f$ui4$4@dont- email.me:

I have accomplished more in my life than you or ever will, chump.

I'll wait for the total retard to discover that his Dewalt is De Fault with his quest.

Oh wait... no... the fault lies between his ears, so there will never be a fix for that lack.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You object to your own misunderstanding. Of course they can use an electric bike for recreation but it's very difficult and restricting to rely on a bicycle or motorcycle as their only transportation, unless they can buy all the services they need or depend on sympathetic friends, like someone I know.

BTDT, in college and living in Europe. It's only a toy.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You are a hobbyist. If you were involved with personal transporters as commercial products like I was it would be vital to understand and meet the needs of people who for various reasons don't own a car, and may have difficulty walking. The market for electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters is quite large.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Well, that escalated quickly.

Reply to
bitrex

Amazingly enough, there seems to be a reasonably large market, or at least people think there is, for e-bikes, too.

Reply to
krw

John Doe wrote in news:pmr4im$ui4$7@dont- email.me:

You are the retarded f*ck that jacked off at the mouth instead of discussing, and you are the retarded f*ck who started saying shit about mothers. Fuck you, DoeTard.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

What EPA rule limits the fuel tank size? My Gen 2 Volt has a range-extender engine as well, less all-electric range than the i3 about

65 miles on a good day, but an ~8 gallon fuel tank.

The trick is to have a girlfriend who lives down the street from a free public charging station. So long as I date the same woman I get to drive about a thousand miles a month on not much more than $15-20 worth of fuel. It's okay we seem to get along pretty well.

Reply to
bitrex

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And out of millions of working models exactly ZERO are powered by a cordless drill motor.

It is one of those Arsenio Hall moments.

Doe boy gots too much bone matter between his ears.

Pea sized is supposed to be your pituitary, not your brain size.

Maybe you'll do better in your next life if God brings you back as a slug.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are an idiot. Been here for years.

And it was your mother who was sick, f*****ad.

Just remember assschssschhHAT... You started it. You calling me an sob... I should come find you and flush you. You talk about folks' mothers all the time, you stupid bastard? Fuck you too, jackass.

Somebody should stick an NYPD broomstick handle up your asch till it comes out your mouth. Again... f*ck you, boy.

I HATE retarded asch holes.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I was put off when the salesman told me about the artificial restriction and didn't listen too closely.

"CARB describes this type of electric vehicle as "a relatively high-electric range battery-electric vehicle (BEV) to which an APU is added." The unit, which maintains battery charge at about 30% after the pack has been depleted in normal use, is strictly limited in the additional range it can provide, and delivers a minimum 75 mi (121 km) electric range."

"European models have a 9 L (2.0 imp gal; 2.4 US gal) fuel tank while American models have the same tank though software-limited to a capacity of 1.9 gallons."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

So what else is new?

Reply to
Brenda Newton

I decided long ago that 20 miles was my limit for romance, partly the result of a relationship with a lady lawyer who lived in Juneau. Later I changed that to "20 miles or the Bay Bridge, and no lawyers."

Reply to
John Larkin

She lives exactly 26.2 miles away so I suppose my limit is 30. it's a

95% highway-speed ride I drive 7 minutes to the on ramp, straight in one direction for 22 miles, then 3 minutes from the off ramp there. Easy! (so long as it's not rush hour.)
Reply to
bitrex

The way to get the best out of a car like the Volt in that arrangement is to burn gas on the highway there and back, where at speeds 70+ it's most efficient to use the ICE to ideally get 42, 43 mpg, and use the car as a "charge truck" to truck the charge from the free charger back home. Then run down the battery charge over the course of a few days on errands in around-town lower speed stop-and-go traffic.

If you time your visits right you arrive back there with just about 0 charge left, and repeat.

Reply to
bitrex