OT My third electric bike

Took so long to make.

This might be the easiest to build electric bike there is, versus power and reliability.

Front 18" wheel direct drive, using DeWalt's DCD961 brushless drill.

The fork is standard, so it can be put on any small bicycle frame. Functionally not much different than a hub motor, but there are probably significant differences in performance (what exactly, I do not know).

The speed switch is intact, so I can play around with that. It is meant to be on the lowest speed setting, should be fast enough.

This design has been tested, but the prior version was not nearly as efficient. Then, it drove a chain that drove the rear wheel. All that is unnecessary given a drift trike front wheel with a pedal hub (without the pedals) and a low-geared cordless drill at no more than about 450 RPM (no load).

The drill kit cost about $280. Depending on your application, extra batteries might be required. The drift trike front wheel (an adult "Big Wheel") costs about $150-$200. Seems overpriced, but oh well. Difficult to find many replacement parts for drift trikes. Seems they enjoy it in Australia. Mad Max on a Big Wheel.

Reply to
John Doe

For that price you can buy 2 wheels with hub motors that will fit standard forks - and not have the fuggly and heavy drill-motor hanging off the side - and it will actually RUN.

When you say it has been tested, how does it handle 200 lbs on a 5% grade? How fast does it go? (and how far?) And you can NOT coast with it. Totally useless setup in my opinion. (and I ride an electric bike and have built one - neither of which uses a hub motor)

Reply to
clare

OK - your drift trike wheel has a freewheel. The only one I ever got up close to had basically a unicycle wheek - - a "Fixie" adult big-wheel -

The rest of my critique stands.

Reply to
clare

That has the same basic drive setup as my bike, but mine is a lot quieter, it'f saster, and the motor cost less than the Dewalt drill. It is also almost invisible when driving down the road and has a range of about 15 miles. on a frame mounted lead acid battery pack.

Reply to
clare

Also, that one isn't direct drive and sticking out a foot to the side on the sterring axle.

Reply to
clare