Re: Political manipulation on Google YouTube

That's more evidence that libs are motivated mainly to prove themselves superior, and deny the hard lesson of life that they aren't. The dangerous consequence is that they willingly accept hate, bigotry and repression of non-believers. https://westernfreepress.com/the-top-three-reasons-why-liberals-hate-conservatives/
On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 9:33:18 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

ervatives/
Jim, you're a smart guy. What is it that draws you to that bigoted right-wi ng trash writing? The author of that piece has some serious emotional probl ems, topped with paranoia and cherry--picking of facts. HE is the one with a desperate need to feel superior.
I'm not looking for a long discussion. It's just that chop and swells from Florence have driven the bluefish away from the beach, and I foolishly popp ed into Usenet to kill time. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

Jim, you're a smart guy. What is it that draws you to that bigoted right-wing trash writing? The author of that piece has some serious emotional problems, topped with paranoia and cherry--picking of facts. HE is the one with a desperate need to feel superior.
I'm not looking for a long discussion. It's just that chop and swells from Florence have driven the bluefish away from the beach, and I foolishly popped into Usenet to kill time. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

===================
On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 2:35:22 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

nservatives/

"Debate"? What debate? There is no "debate." Cook is engaging in practiced propaganda. Propagandists don'e debate. They will shift and spin and keep c oming up with more crap, mixing in some facts to appear legitimate and lard on the loaded, demeaning and belittling slurs to get the hatred going good . That's the technique that was polished years ago. He has his bigoted conc lusions all ready to go. There is no argument, no balancing. It's just war from the propagandist's point of view.
I don't debate with people who employ the techniques of building hostility. Note that Cook has it down pat: Start off slow, with sneers and slurs. Sli p in some selected data points. Pile on increasingly disparaging descriptio ns of he "others." Then dehumanize them by equating them with some historic al monsters. And walk away while it's sinking in.
Here are the important quotes from his manifesto. Watch his technique:
"a narcissistic orgy of self-adulation"
"the slavering, semi-psychotic Facebook rant"
"the media, the left?s foot-soldiers"
"smugly satisfied of his own politically correct superiority"
"utopian statist"
"Lenin and Stalin to Mao to the Progressives of the modern era: "On ne fait pas d?omelet sans casser des oeufs.? (You can?t ma ke an omelet without breaking some eggs.) To the utopian statist, ? process costs? are entirely acceptable." (oh, the murdering, sub-hu man animals!)
"That is also why you see such a prevalence of cult-of-personality adulatio n for strong leaders." (like Trump, eh?)
"Leftists hate you for the fact that you see the world as it is, rather tha n as it should be." (who's hating here??)
"utopianism isn?t about what they think they can achieve, it? ?s about their own self-image."
Cook has studied the techniques of propaganda well. Maybe he read Eitzen? ??s 1936 piece ?Ten Responses to Jewish Lackeys?.
You don't debate propagandists. You call them out for what they are.
--
Ed Huntress

Here is from the first part of Cook's page:
My attention was recently drawn to a typical such calumny from a Facebook exchange:
Republicans hate anything that isn?t white, wealthy, and christian at least in appearance. They hate the poor, women, and minorities. They hate science and don?t believe that the global warming we clearly are experiencing is man made. They hate any government programs that help the poor and minorities, and the (sic) particularly despise immigrants, particularly the illegal kind. They love programs that line the pockets of oil companies, mining companies, and are willing to export jobs with wild abandon.
They hate public education, and they despise public schools and the public school teachers and public university professors. And since the (sic) do not respect the market place of ideas, they hate tenure (that gives teachers academic freedom) because it prevents them from firing teachers who are Democrats and who might infect some student with their liberal ideas. They want insurance companies to make a maximum of profit, and are perfectly willing for the health insurance companies to kill people by refusing service to anyone that might cost them a buck more than the median expense. They don?t care about clean food because it might cost the food corporation a little money, and they don?t care about clean water because cleaning up the waste will cost their precious corporate persons a little money.
This is not a recitation of facts; it is a series of smears. It is the construction of a giant cartoonish super-villain, made of straw and woven together with calumny. The giant straw villain is then publicly burned, in a narcissistic orgy of self-adulation. Of course, the torches of the ?best? people burn the brightest.
There are two problems with Cook's screed. First, he wants to say that everyone on the left does that. That's clearly false. Second, he is pretending the same thing doesn't happen on the right. That's clearly false as well, as your direct experience with Mark Wieber, Red Pecker, the real fake "Winston_Smith", Tom Gardner, Mike Terrell, "Klaus", #ReamMeUpTheAssSnotty and too many other right-wingnuts to count will confirm.
There are loads of left-wing Usenet morons who say nearly all of what Cook says he got from a Facebook rant. You're not going to see them in rec.crafts.metalworking, but you can see them daily in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh. But you *do* see the exact right-wingnut equivalent here, and in a.f.r-l I see numerous right-wingnuts just as bad as Wieber, some of them even worse.
I don't claim all leftists hold the views Cook says they do, and I don't believe all right-wingers are like Wieber. There are plenty enough of both, though. I think Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Bernie Sanders come awfully close to what Cook describes all leftists as being.

In Jr High shop class the old Swedish cabinetmaker taught us to cut square and bevel with hand saws and planes to as much accuracy as we had the patience for, with the most motivated students approaching 18th century furniture standards. The real secret was learning to sharpen the tools properly.
The same skills were useful when I had to fit machine parts too large to put on a milling machine. -jsw

I remember when I used to have time for stuff like that. I may someday again once the heavy work here is done. Yesterday I got further behind because a friend brought over some things his table saw wasn't big enough to handle. Then we ate the cookies he brought as payment, and I took a nap. :) Today I "had" to take a 2 hour bike ride to pick up a part, and then spent a half hour to install it. Time flies during retirement. :)
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 01:00:03 -0000 (UTC), John Doe

LOL Is that you, Wieber? When in the great cull happening?
Meanwhile -
"There is a truly remarkable number in the most recent CNN poll, conducted by SSRS and out this morning. In it, 42% of Americans say President Donald Trump should be impeached and removed from office. What makes it remarkable is that he's on par with President Richard Nixon, who 43% of Americans said should be impeached and removed from office in a March 1974 Harris poll. That was after the scale of Watergate came to light, but months before the House started to move against Nixon, who would go on to resign in August 1974 rather than be impeached." https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/22/politics/impeach-trump-nixon-support-bill-clinton-poll/index.html
"New data shows Trump is a bigger election drag on his party than Obama ever was." https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/6/20/17483068/trump-2018-midterm-elections-approval-rating
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Good on you.

Good to learn how to do it by hand before you try machines. I started blacksmithing with no electricity. Hand-crank drill press and forge blower. Only power tool was a bench grinder that ran off a lawn mower engine when needed badly enough to bother starting it. Eight years on I got a big shop, electricity, power hammer, stick welder. But I learned a lot in 8 years.

Not to overlook working sheet metal over stakes. You can forge most of the ones you'll need from (say, 1/2"x2") mild steel, file to final shape. A power buffer is nice to finish them. One is enough to get going. Once you get going, you can add to your collection by reshaping and polishing other things. (One of mine is a RR spiking hammer head, both ends shaped a bit and polished. Another small, thin one is forged from a rasp because m/s wasn't quite good enough.)

If you already have a good bench vise, a tiger torch for annealing and a bench grinder, you can go a long way. Making a really nice forging hammer isn't a novice's project but you can make the a couple of the hammers used for hammering the wrinkles out of raised copper vessels as you shape them with minimal skill and good success.

I once had a guy come into the shop and look over a 16 ga. copper sauce pan I'd made. He said, "You hid the seam really well." "No seam", says I. "I've taught metal shop classes for 30 years and I know how you do this. There has to be seams."
Took me 20 minutes to convince him that you can raise a cook pot or cookie jar out of a single piece. Simple stakes, tinsmith's stake (or any roundy-anvily-shaped iron thing) to hammer out the wrinkles, many annealings.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

On 20 Sep 2018 22:35:04 -0300, Mike Spencer

When I was an apprentice boy the "Apprentice Master" was an old man (60+) and he used to relate about how his father had purchased an apprenticeship for him and he went in the shop when he was 14 years old - this would have been in the very late 1800's - and how 6 years later he made his journeyman's project, a surface plate... by hand.
He said that they gave him three rough castings and told him to let them know when the job was finished.
--
Cheers

John B.
writes:

That's still a useful skill. Yesterday I hand-fitted the surfaces of an extruded heatsink to a piece of tooling plate used as a heat spreader for a hot voltage regulator. -jsw
writes:

Since I don't make artsy stuff to sell I get away with hardwood stakes, usually cut from oak firewood. Yesterday I turned and filed a dome stake to round the bottom edges of the tuna cans that hold hardware during disassemblies. Punching out the bottom removes the springiness so things don't bounce out.
A simple round-ish depression cut in the end of a log with the tip of a chainsaw is quite useful, to shape curved patches to weld into rusty fenders for instance. Hammer blows smooth the rough wood
Crinkled corrugated galvanized roofing can be salvaged by hammering it over 2" water pipe. I use a rubber or plastic hammer to preserve the zinc, and don't try to completely flatten every wrinkle.
What is your preferred anvil height? I thought knuckle height was correct until I took the blacksmithing class. His were at a variety of heights, some on original metal stands. For the smallish things I made I liked the 34" high anvil, perhaps because my eyes focus well on it.
He had one Harbor Freight anvil that served mainly to show how bad they are by comparison.
-jsw
writes:

Ancient hand-made sheet metal: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/antiquity/article/roman-miliarium-from-a-private-bath-house-in-northern-gaul-from-water-technology-to-ritual-offering/224A0C54314962160C3839FB22E233DE/core-reader
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 09:34:31 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I don't think that necessarily points to bots. It's a freakin' liberal site and mostly liberals and Leftists view their crap there. Of _course_ the silly posts get lots of upvotes.

Conservatives see liberals as misguided. Conservatives see Leftists as EVIL. Leftists see conservatives as evil. Liberals see conservatives as misguided. (Fixed it for ya, Original Source Unknown.)
--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French