reinforce tap hole

Can you slide something into the tubing from one end to this position?

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Used to do a lot of stupid stuff like this installing radio equipment. People always wondered how the hell we bolted radios to the back of the truck cab...

We used to call it "Ductseal". Kind of like silly putty, made to seal around pipes and such after penetrating exterior walls.

Take a blob of Ductseal and stick to the end of a piece of ~1 x 1/16 inch flat steel maybe 3 feet long. An old yard stick would work too. Stick the part you want to hold into the Ductseal blob on the end.

We always had a 7/16 inch wrench taped to another piece of flat steel (low band antenna whip works good too) to tighten stuff up. You can usually get by using just the flat steel with the taped on wrench. We had the open end exposed and a bit of duct seal around the open end would normally hold a nut long enough to get it started.

Pretty simple stuff, no rocket science here...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Awesome. I learned something today.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Very cool. Seems similar to Swirl Welding, but no movement and a bigger rod.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Now thats VERY neat!

Thanks!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

It reminds me of the Diamond Blade process. I want one of those knives.

on the "Video One" tab.)

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Just spent 10 minutes there reading and viewing and all... I'm not 100% sure I get what they are doing (it would help if I had sound on the videos I bet!)

Are they forming the knife blades with the friction forming tool and thus claiming a better blade structure?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 01:12:38 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

¿Cuánto cuesta?

-- Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything. -- Johann K. Lavater

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The sound wasn't that helpful, but it did say that the tool is made of cubic boron nitride and spins at thousands of rpm as it is forced into and through the blank with tons of force.

It seems to be a variation on stir welding.

Yes. The claimed basic advantage is that the grains of metal are one tenth the size they would be with conventional forging processes. This will increase the toughness for a given hardness.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I believe they're claiming reforming the grain to a more consistent, smaller size, and quenching the edge with the bulk of the blade to get the very high 65-68 Rc hardness just on the edge. The spinning button follows the knife edge outline. D2 is certainly an excellent steel to start with. The hard edge backed up by the ductile body should be long lasting and durable. Supposedly, these blades hold a better edge and don't need sharpening often at all.

I'd have one to try already if I hunted a lot. I just don't skin that many critters. I'd still like to try one, but they're pricey.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Probably cheaper than stick welding a pipeline. And maybe a better junction. Inside of the pipe would be smoother for better flow.

Reply to
Calif Bill