removing baseboard heaters, reusing the circuits

    Going to be removing the baseboard heater in the bedroom. It is just taking up space. (Is small house- 3 inches would make a
difference on the water closet's door side.)
    "easy part" is removing them. What I want to do is route the power into a wall socket so I can have bedside lamps in there. Surface mount and just trim the wires to fit?
tschus pyotr -- pyotr filipivich. Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

An easy way to map 120V outlets to their breakers is to plug in a vacuum cleaner that makes the floor vibrate, so you can hear it running from the breaker box.
In the other direction I extended the leads of a clamp-on AC current probe on the breaker wire with an extension cord to the DVM upstairs, to record the heater duty cycle and room temperature on a computer. Banana plugs fit in 3/16" OD telescoping brass tubing. -jsw

    If memory serves - they're marked at the box.
    To complicate matters - the box is outside, so this is a summer project. House was built in 1905. Wired, maybe rewired - later. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

An outside box may make things easier if you can see light go on and off in an upstairs window as you flip the breaker. The houses my father and I rewired were built in 1830 and ~1890 and the fuses or breakers were in the basement. My sister's house is from 1790. We found that the vacuum cleaner rumble carried down there better than a loud radio or yelling from the second floor. -jsw

    The bedroom is on the other side (and corner) of the house.
    Fortunately, they are all nicely labeled. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 21:41:21 -0700, pyotr filipivich

I did that, too, installing a gas, 96% efficient furnace + A/C in their place. Dayum, what a =lovely= difference! I ran romex and converted the existing circuit breakers to 3x 240v outlets for the shop. Half of one spare went for the new furnace and I ran wire from the other spare to be used by the new A/C condenser/compressor unit.

Not quite. Check your wiring. You might have 12/2 w/ground, which wouldn't be to code for 120v outlets. If you have 12/3 w/ground, you can convert each to a 120v line because of the neutral. Either would work well, but only one would be to code. I like that particular code snippet because it keeps us safer. Check your gauge, too, because some homes were built with 14ga wiring. I guess it wouldn't matter much unless you were running high-powered equipment on them.
I saw the other threads (just got back from a trip to Gunnerland) and will add: use a boom box to trace circuits. It will tell you loud and clear when the power to that outlet is on. <g> But since yours are clearly labeled (a rare treat), you won't need one this time. I bought one of the buzzer circuit tracers and they work poorly. I got feedback from six adjacent wires when I tried it a couple times. Avoid this style: https://is.gd/crkfoE Feh.
--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 5:24:54 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

--Robert Schaeberle
I am confused. 12/2 with ground is to code for 120 volt circuits. Or at least it was. I am not up on the current code.
Dan

I meant to write 14/2 w/ ground there (only good for 15a circuits, 12/2 for 20a).
- When you radically activate on the side of the Left, you call forth compensatory forces. And they're not under your control. --Jordan B Peterson Go Trump! MAGA
On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 14:24:51 -0700, Larry Jaques

If it is 12/2 with black and white it IS to code. If it is 12/2H, with red and black it is not code unless he paints ot tapes both ends of the red to white - when it technically passes code.

As long as he has a 15 amp breaker on the circuit, and it is copper, it is to code. 14guage for baseboard heaters is NOT to code - so it's pretty well a non-issue.

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 08:33:21 -0700, pyotr filipivich

And I thought _I_ was a bad housekeeper, doing mine once a year, whether it needs it or not. Oh, time to get more bags for the Hooving Machine. Walmart: 6pcs Type-A bags for $7.95 delivered. (Cheaper than going to the Wally World in town and buying them at 3/$5.)

Jewelcome.
--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle
15:26:37 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    My wife (GF at the time) knew we were made for each other: our vacuum cleaners used the same bags. That, and I talked to/with her cat.     Ours is a strange and wonder relationship. I'm strange, she's wonderful.
tschus pyotr -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 17:32:52 -0700, pyotr filipivich

After that intro, I'm surprised you didn't say that you knew your relationship was going to suck, what with you both using the same type of vacuum and all.
--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle
19:42:29 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I figured out _real_ early, (the fifth day) that discretion is a key element of Marital Harmony.     I did not tell her I could see the wildfire from the hotel porch.
    Not till the next day, once we were on the train home. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Funny coincidence. I was in the small local hardware store this AM and remembered I need Eureka bags. While looking I tried to guess if they'd be worth the cross-town drive to Walmort but they were only 3 for $2.99.
The clerk knows me too well and asked if I planned to put Velcro on one end to make them reuseable. I said I'd just staple them.
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:37:53 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I'm fuzzy on the visuals for that one, not having a Eureka. C, J, MM, N, RR, or T? J is the upright like my Hoovah.
--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 15:26:37 -0700, Larry Jaques

try https://www.aliexpress.com/?spm !14.11010108.1000002.1.742f649b1il7w9 Search for " Hoover vacuum bags " (196 Results)
on Sat, 09 Jun

I'm not comfortable sending my credit card number directly to China. Their suspicion and expansionist tendencies make relations with them fragile.
When the Chinese fighter crashed into the US P-3 I had a hard time explaining the incident to the many Chinese engineers at work. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan_Island_incident
The fighter likely flew into the larger plane's wingtip vortex (horizontal tornado) while buzzing too close, which rolled it unexpectedly. They claimed our plane caused the crash, but if our ex-airliner could outmaneuver their fighter they should give up.
Of course the difference is in the words. We wrongly spy, they lawfully investigate. http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/12542/chinese-spy-ship-was-snooping-off-alaska-for-the-first-time-during-thaad-test

Do NOTgive credit card information to Chinese or other foreign vendors. When I ordered my first credit card item from a China vendor on a Friday Wells Fargo called me the next Monday to verify that I was in San Francisco buying a motorcycle on the card. I now use a Paypal account to pay for out of country orders .
On 6/7/2018 12:41 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Why not? Just a lamp? Seems like the circuit should have plenty of capacity. Like for some of your electrical sexual devices.