Replace battery in Harbor Freight "solar" powered welding helmet

Yes, the solar powered welding helmet does have two coin cell batteries in it. They're sealed in the lens's case. Someone wrote
up the procedure for replacing them a year or so ago, and I didnt' save the page then. I googled for it, but came up empty handed. Did anybody here save that web page, or has anybody here disassembled their HF autodark helmet to replace these?
RWL
I've had 2 HF a/d helmets for 6 years-never needed to replace the batteries-yet. I remember the thread, but not the details. But, c'mon, yer a smart guy, right? You don't really need to be shown, do you? Hmmm? JR Dweller in the cellar
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:12:51 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET <GeoLane at PTD dot NET> wrote:

HOME PAGE: http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth --------------------------------------------------
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:10:09 -0700, JR North

I wonder if the helmet would recharge if left in the sun...
-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:10:09 -0700, JR North

Actually mine hasn't quit yet. We had our first evening welding class last night and one of the young guys mentioned that his HF autodark helmet quit working. I told him I that I had seen a procedure somewhere on the net describing replacement of some batteries inside the one with a solar cell. I couldn't find it when I Googled last night. I was hoping one of you guys might have saved it or the URL.
Knowing that it's repairable, I could probably muddle through and do it on my own, but the voice of experience is always helpful rather than having to reinvent the wheel.
RLW
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:12:51 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET <GeoLane at PTD dot NET> wrote:

I wasn't the one who posted about the repair but I did replace the batteries in mine. I went to Radio Shack and bought two coin cell holders and the cells to fit them. I then carefully split the case with my pocket knife, removed the two dead batteries, and soldered wires to the circuit board where the batteries used to connect. Then mounted the new cell holders on the outside of the case, soldered the wires to the holders, and put the case back together. I don't remember if I glued the case or just heat sealed it with an iron. Anyway, the cells are now on the outside and can be easily replaced when they need to be. The cells do ot fall out of the external holders. Eric
GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

I went searching for that page a few months ago and also came up blank. Damn Google borked up the usenet search so we can't find things anymore. Bastards.
Jon
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:53:11 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

Yeah, what happened there? They really stepped on their appendage there. 2 months later and their search engine is still hosed for the groups. Time to complain to them again...
-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke
This is the link with the instructions:
http://www.pskl.us/wp/?pd8

I'd have tried to put 3VDC thru a 1K resistor into the dead one for a couple of days to see if it charges. If it does, stick the helmet in the sun for a day or so. DO NOT TRY TO QUICK CHARGE IT.
Mine's been in the box for about a decade. Just tried it and it seems to work, but the next time the sun shows, I'm gonna set it outside in the sun for a while.
One thing that concerns me is that you're putting 4.5V on a 3V system. Have no idea what does to the phase shift of the liquid crystal and how that affects the attenuation of the light. It's unlikely that it's a problem, BUT, it's your eyes and a mistake could be very costly. Tread carefully while you can still see.

The UV will be blocked no matter what the liquid crystal shutter does. Its function is to block visible light. Eric
On 9/17/2016 3:39 PM, mike wrote: ... It's unlikely that

The UV filtering is independent of the darkening - it's always on. So, if it doesn't darken, you would get a flash, but it wouldn't have the damaging UV in it.
Bob
On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 18:44:36 -0400, Bob Engelhardt

Is that true with all auto-darkening helmets? I didn't realize that. It makes me feel better about them.
--
Ed Huntress

My Jackson EQC filters IR and UV when off. The flash doesn't hurt my eyes when I forget to turn the helmet on.
The flash does hurt the Tungsten when I forget to turn the Argon on.
--jsw
On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 19:36:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

That's interesting. I just never thought to ask. It always worried me, and has kept me from using an auto-darkening helmet. After cataract surgery in both eyes and 3,000 laser burns on my retina capillaries to treat diabetic retinopathy, I try to treat them well. Luckily, I can still see great. I want to keep it that way.

--
Ed Huntress

Window glass filters out UV too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Soda-lime_glass,_typical_transmission_spectrum_ (2_mm_thickness).svg
That's why auto-darkening sunglasses don't work behind a car windshield.
--jsw
On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 20:01:28 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Ha! I never thought of that, either.
--
Ed Huntress

Knowing chemistry and physics clears up much of the mystery of the world, without diminishing the wonder and appreciation of it. --jsw

    [ ... ]

    Do you still have the data cards with the cataract replacement lenses? Mine say that they block UV on their own. (Mind you -- you still could get sunburn on the eyeball surface, but not as bad as damaging the retina. (or course, the UV blocking may not be part of all cataract replacement lenses -- I may have been lucky there.)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Hmm. 'Probably around here somewhere.

I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the tip, Don.
BTW, after wearing very expensive progressive-lens glasses for eight or ten years, after the cataract surgery, and my post-surgery eye test, my doctor announced "you don't need glasses anymore."
Yippee! Now I just wear readers for the computer and reading.
--
Ed Huntress

On Monday, September 19, 2011 at 11:12:51 PM UTC-4, GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

Excellent Youtube "how to"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRLeXKXuuE