RR track update

So, they UPS me 2 feet of...TRACK! Bet that cost some bucks! It does have a raspy surface after many, many grinders took their path. I'm sure if they went slower the finish would be better but they want the miles per hour. See:

From what I understand, they want to add multiple brushing stations to help prevent wear on THEIR wheels from the rough surface. I imagine a few full-length trains would burnish the track nicely. It seems like they have unlimited power to run these brushing stations at 3 to 5 hp each. I don't think brushing is the way to go, I'm thinking carbide wheels to burnish. To bad I don't make carbide!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sure but it would be hell on the frontmost wheels of the first train down that stretch of track.

I recall that somebody made wire wheels with diamond tips on the wires--could do the same with carbide I would think.

Reply to
fredfighter

Perhaps they want to clean the swarf and other grinding debris from the track prior to their wheels rolling on it, not actually polish the track.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Tom just as a wild assed guess and suggestion think of a "tank tread" of linked brushes say 3 feet long brushing against the grain at a few revs per second.

every brush bristle should hit the same spot of track a few times but with 3 feet of brush making contact with the rail you have a good brushing contact area and if the brushes are spinnning at high speeds like angle grinder type they likely could do some buffing of note as the grinder thunders by

just an idea, if you take it you owe me a beer =)

Brent Ottawa Canada

Reply to
Brent

You need to get from "they" to "he" and then to name and number. Somebody there, most likely a design engineer, has an idea that needs completion. Talk to him, find the exact needs, and build one. Even if the idea don't work, you'll have fun and make money. (Don't be afraid to charge for design and developemnet work)

Karl

P.S. The company is located in my back yard

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I am wondering is some sort of flail would be appropriate. This would impact as well as burnish to flatten the high lows. A brush wire with special ends?? Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

So basically, they're reprofiling the track after heavy wear.

How about something like a brush made with some plastic with abrasive embedded instead of wires? I've seen a few like that at welding supply joints, both cup and flat. Just a thought, haven't used either but was tempted to try a couple.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:45c9bfe8$0$17443$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...

I am only in contact with Brian, he's the lead on the project and we have spent hours on the phone. One of my guys has taken this bone in his teeth and has done most of the work, including about ten wild-assed ideas. You'r right, finding that ballance between doing the proper sales/application work and engineering a customer's problem for free...is tough. I've learned my lesson long ago but I like to solve problems, especially if I can pull the solution off the top of my head.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hey Tom,

Hope you get the job ongoing... Could generate lots of repeat business.

I haven't followed the full thread... But...

How about a PolyPro/Carbide brush train to follow the grinding train? Or are they wanting to put the brushes in with those fire breathing grinding wheels?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Now that would make a whole lot more sense, since they'd be cold pressing that crap back onto the rails and scarring the hell out of the grinding car's running wheels.

That sounds like a job for a "curtain brush" to stop the flying stuff coming off the grinding wheels, with a slowly rotating drum brush to clean the track right in front of each running wheel. And a second set of brushes behind each wheel, in case the construct is traveling in the opposite direction and that's now the front.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman