Sears hp ratings

Awl --

In keeping with Sears' auto repair ripoff scheme (prosecuted in mebbe a dozen states), does anyone recall a smaller scandal on how sears and a bunch of others rated their motors based on locked-rotor current, or somesuch?

I recall some organization putting a stop to this, but see nothing immediately apparent on google. Is sears rating their motors more realistically now, or are they still using that "peak hp"/locked rotor current bullshit?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Or for general trends just compare rated horsepower, cfm, and current draw of different models and you'll find the best value whether the specs are inflated or not.

I haven't shopped recently but I doubt that sincerity has taken over in advertising yet. :-)

A few years back a friend was shopping for a compressor. I warned him not to be fooled, but he came back with a nice shiny one with giant labels claiming all sorts of foolishness, and it plugs into 110. It has a good-sized tank but the check valve leaks so it has to be pumped up from zero if let sit overnight. Which takes about 10 minutes because the pump is so wimpy. He doesn't seem to mind, which is why they'll keep selling such stuff.

Here's another case.

can usually compare engine displacement if so motivated, but they're more likely to be impressed with a bit of chrome or plastic "mag" wheels.

It would be nice if everybody was honest, but they never will be. Oh well, for those who are willing to make a little effort, it's barely any work to separate the truthful from the BSers anyway. Which is something that nobody should get out of practice doing.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

The link on the other post gives another link:

You'll have to go to
and hit the Wayback function to see what's what. Can't get to the archives here, they filter it out, but it looks like 2007 was the last year for the link.

I think they had something similar with vacuum cleaners, too.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Sears was FAR FROM the only one pulling the inflated horsepower game, and may not have even been the first. Due to their size and presence, they were DEFINITELY the most visible.

Reply to
clare

Rated 6.5 peak hp, That's 40 amps at 120 Volts if you ignore inefficiency.

amdx

what I tell people looking at compressors is to not even look at horsepower - look at current draw to see if your circuit can stand it, and look at CFM and pressure - for example, I have an older 2 hp sears compressor that puts out 7.2 cfm at 40 psi - that's about right - the newer

5 and even "8" hp compressors put out less - and my Quincy 5 hp compressor puts out 19 cfm at 160 psi, compared to about 6 cfm at 40 psi for a cheapie 5 hp I ran across somewhere.
Reply to
Bill Noble

They quit lying because of this lawsuit:

Unfortunately the cutoff date for filing was Oct. 24, 2004.

Every 120VAC, 15A compressor I've seen in the last couple of years has been rated for 2.0 HP or less, and one with the same CFM ratings as my old "3.5" HP Campbell Hausefeld was rated 1.7 HP.

BTW if you ever enter one of these consumer class action suits, be patient. I filed for the a computer memory lawsuit two years ago and got the check just last month.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly