Some pictures

of the tractor and the small containers I've been making .

Terry Coombs

Very neat. I wonder how they would come up anodised or that finish that is done using polishing paste & a piece of wooden dowel in the drill press.

Reply to
Shed_Fiddler

We call it that, because "engine turning" is done with an engine turning machine. It is an engraving process that carves the pattern in the surface of the metal with a engraving tool moved back and forth, left and right, in and out, by a series of cams The machines are either a circular rose engine , like a lathe, or straightline, like a planer.

A brief explanation (pg 14)

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Oh, wow. Making of the the smaller, simpler versions of one of those machines would be a great long-term project for a serious hobbyist.

IIRC, you may have brought this up before? I think I remember seeing those pen bodies, right?

BTW, somewhere in the world there is a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR with a

100% engine-turned body ("engine turned" as we mortals use the term -- the overlapping circles are perhaps 1-1/2 in. diameter). I saw it once on TV and then could never find out anything about it.

This is the car without the fancy decoration:

Number 722 was the one that Stirling Moss drove to win the 1955 Mille Miglia -- the last one ever raced.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Strong and beefy, too, without being un-dainty.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

DAINTY ?! Dainty ? Why I oughta ... oh , wait , were you referring to the tractor or the little containers ? Next step with the tractor is an oil change - right after I swap out the hydraulic disconnects .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Oh, your sweet little _extremely_ feminine containers, of course. It's simply fabulous that you can run your female energy like that, dear.

Yeah, good idea. I always run vehicles up to temperature and change that old stuff if they've been sitting at all. It helps with removing more of the moisture and contaminants.

Reply to
Larry Jaques