Stainless steel, epoxy, and tableware

    Yes!

    [ ... ]

    Maybe only a quarter of the knives were in regular use and thus regularly run through the dishwasher.
    Sorry that I can't suggest how to fix them.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 4:01:27 PM UTC-6, Frnak McKenney wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Classic problem with 2-part knives. We have a bunch of them that are doing the same. There is a cavity in the handle that builds up steam pressure in the dry cycle of the dishwasher. Yes, I'm guessing if you heat them and press the blade back in, it will do the job. These things are so old, I doubt they used epoxy, more liekly some older form of glue.
Jon
On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 2:55:59 PM UTC-5, Jon Elson wrote:

Epoxies came into widespread commercial use around 1950. If it's really old, more likely it's phenolic.
None of those thermosets can reliably be released with heat. It depends on the specific chemistry and the percentage of solids; If they're 100% solids, it's unlikely you can release them with heat.
I have some of those knives, which have been in the family since 1963. None of them have ever seen the inside of a dishwasher. They're really not up to it. Neither is anything else that contains a lot of silver.
--
Ed Huntress

Ed, Jon,
Thanks for the comments. Will pass them along.
Frank
--
Scientists are people of very dissimilar temperaments doing different
things in very different ways. Among scientists are collectors,

Check this site out if you need a high temperature cement. http://www.sauereisen.com/ceramic-assembly/product-index/
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 11:27:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

That's probably a really pricy hi-tech goo.
I think I'd try a highly flexible, waterproof adhesive instead. Either Plumber's Goop or E6000, which are very nearly identical. https://www.amazon.com/E6000-237032-Craft-Adhesive-Clear/dp/B004BPHQWU
Dry the handle, use a toothpick to work some adhesive into the recess, then push the cleaned stainless part in. Dry overnight, then pare off the squeezeout. That should fix them for your lifetime, at least.
If they don't have notches (handle and knife shank), make a few for better retention.
--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

Don't know about price, but it's been around a long time. I used it at work in the '70's. Hmmm. 4 oz. for $13 for one type. I remember it being very hard, but was tough, didn't crack even under heat cycling in a furnace. I'd have to look at the literature to decide if any of their products would work for the knives. Seems overqualified for the heat part, don't know about the moisture and adhesion needs.
Pete Keillor

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 8:47:39 AM UTC-5, Pete Keillor wrote:

Be careful with any solvent-borne, evaporating-type adhesive in such an enclosed application. They shrink a lot and not necessarily where you want them to.
That's a job for a thermoset, and it's hard to beat a high-quality, 100%-solids industrial epoxy.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 07:47:46 -0600, Pete Keillor

That's not bad at all, but was that the price then or now? I figured it was probably like some of the new epoxies at $200+ per oz.

As an avid (compulsive?) tool user all my life, I tend to opt toward anything which is more toward the side of user-friendly and ergonomic. Flexible adhesive gel between the parts of table utensils seem to fit so that's why I thought about the Goos. Love 'em, I do. I had the sole of a high-top hiking boot come loose at the toe (5" worth!) once and it flapped down and bent under on my trek. A piece of string held it together until I got back to the truck. At home, I rinsed the joint with water, patted them dry, and left them to dry thoroughly, then applied some Shoe Goo to the halves, stuck them together, opened them up to tack them for a minute, then stuck them together and put a spare patio tile on it. It was good as new later that day and they lasted several more years. I invested $20 in Plumber's & Shoe Goos plus E6000 20 or so years ago and saved maybe $1k in replacement parts by being able to repair the breaks once and for all.
--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 4:47:26 PM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:

t be

Flexible things like shoe soles do just fine with the shrinkage of solvent- born adhesives. Solid, non-yielding things like knife blades and metal hand les, which can't even move relative to each other as the adhesive dries, fa re less well. The adhesive either pulls away from one or both surfaces you' re trying to glue, or it fails in the bulk of the adhesive, tearing itself apart.
Use epoxy for this job.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:47:47 -0800, Larry Jaques

Damn, Larry, my memory is nowhere near that good. That's current.

<snip>
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 06:02:30 -0600, Pete Keillor

And even the expensive goo doesn't work well when you don't follow the instructions. (See Boston Big Dig Collapse for more info)
--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Related Threads