Swamp cooler question

What are we calling "aspen" pad? I used the blue plastic one, and the first year, it got all clogged up. I powerwashed it, but the second year, it seemed like it didn't wet as good as the first year.

This year, I got the green paper looking pads for one cooler. The other came with the "excelsior" or what looks like fine wood strands. The kind that were common and the only ones available long ago. I will use the excelsior pads this first year, and see how it looks next spring.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'll try filming it this summer. I've had other people with me and they see it also. IIRC it goes back and forth and like clock work. I've watched for long periods of time and just can't see how temperature variations could flow in consistent planes. If they slowed down and sped up down the line I could understand.

I keep telling myself that it should travel way to fast to see it the way I have. Just something that make me go hmmm.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

I use a simple t connection off the pump, with a 1/4" line running out of the cooler over to a stainless steel box, that my cats drink from in the summer time. It helps to bleed off the water, giving a regular change, keeping the accumulated Spooge from hard water down to managable levels. A couple times a each summer, I dump a pool clorine tab in. This helps keep moss and other nasties from growing.

My MasterCool 6500 single pad has been running off and on for the past month or so. I had to rebuild the motor bracket, and replace a bearing and belt a couple weeks ago. Its only 20 yrs old, so I was a bit surprised it needed maint.

Gunner

Gunner

Hmmm... hard water (with dissolved "spooge"), chlorine, and "moss and other nasties" all draining into your cats' drinking dish. They must really love you! ;)

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

I would not buy one of the plastic coolers - I'm told VERY nasty things happen if they catch fire... 8-O

I worked on an all-Stainless downdraft swamper once (everything but the blower wheel) and tried to track down a few for myself. But they were only made for a short time, before they realized they were cutting their own throat by selling people a lifetime cooler. Much better for the manufacturers that they rust out every few years.

L.A. City tap water is pretty decent, we just drain the cooler manually a few times through the season and that's the end of it.

We've been running swampers for decades on our houses, and laughing at the neighbors chewing up electricity by the ton while we just spin a couple of half-horse blowers...

But the Valley is finally getting too humid for them to be effective on the really bad days. The 5-ton split system goes in at the end of the month - for the bad days. Spring and fall, I'm leaving one swamper in service.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Actually, they do. And the small clorine tabs when dissolved in the 10 gallon reserve of the cooler itself then piddled out a small bit at at a time doesnt seem to bother them either.

Considering what the water quality is here of puddles left after a rain storm..seriously alkyli ..that doesnt seem to stop them from drinking either. That 5 gallon box of water, if left untended during the summer months, will evaporate in less than 36 hours..and its in deep shade.

Gunner

Gunner

Those are some hardy cats you've got. Actually, the dissolved minerals might help them replace electrolytes lost through perspiration.

Where do you live Gunner? From past messages, I have the impression that you're somewhere in the desert region of Southern California. I lived in the California high desert myself for three years while stationed at China Lake (post Persian Gulf War I).

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

I live 30 odd miles west of Bakersfield in Taft. About the same terrain as China Lake in parts, and about the same elevation. I think we are about 100 miles to the west of CL, give or take 20 or so.

Gunner

Gunner

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but when I was in the Navy I was taught that adjacent light fixtures were intentionally wired to different phases. This was to prevent pump / turbine shafts from appearing as if they were not moving. Was I being fed a load of BS or is there some merit to this?

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

There is a little merit to it. It is for fluor and discharge type light though. Two different phases, it will still look stopped, but you well "see" two different views of the shaft at the same time. Same thing you get from a stroboscope at a submultiple of shaft speed.

jk

Reply to
jk

I've gone to refrigerated in the house do to increase humidity in this area. However before I did I put nylatron lathe shavings in the pads held in place by some 1/4" mess hail screen. I'm currently using the same two swamp coolers in my shop with the original set of shavings in the pads about 8 years later. I just blow and wash the pads out at the first of the year each year. The shavings actually work better with a little bit of deposit on them since it provides a absorbent surface for the water.

Before that I tried both kinds of green pads (the paper and the scotch pad style) but had build up problems which restricted air flow.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Actually you'd be surprised. The animals around my place prefer the drink from the nasty looking water in my slack tank even with nice clean water if available a few feet away.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook