Swamp cooler question

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:19:37 -0700, SteveB wrote
Las Vegas 28 years now and former steam boiler operator. LOTS of Calcium in
our water. IMHO the bleed method is much better than the dump method. Also, I quit using the Aspen pads eight years ago and now use the plastic foam ones (Buy a roll and cut to size). They last two seasons (for me). Also went to a fiberglass/resin cooler. Won't ever rust out and the scale doesn't stick as much as metal. Idea I haven't tried yet would put water sump, pump, and float valve somewhere where you didn't have to climb onto roof to service; hose from pump to cooler and return drain hose to sump. Would really help with rust-out as that occurs at waterline. besides then only motor, belt, fan, and pads would require going up on roof. Hope this helps.
Roger in Vegas Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

    That shows another difference between what I remember from South Texas in the mid 1950s and what you have there. These were window units, so everything was easy to access. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Hi all:
Since I just put new lines on my cooler dump system today I will tell you what I do. My cooler(s) are on the roof, I run a 1/8" black plastic line into the cooler (weight on the end in the cooler so it sinks) run it across the roof and down. It goes into a manifold with 3 adjustable taps with a ball valve shutoff on it. I widened the rubber grommet that the supply line uses and that is where this dump line go into. This siphons when I open the ball valve and I use the water to feed a stand of bamboo in back of the house. This works pretty well, costs almost nothing and the mineralized water seems fine with the bamboo, plus no holes in the cooler to leak. It also helps mineralization in the cooler, once or twice a month I run it full out to get rid of high concentrations due to evaporation. Another trick I use on the coolers in the shop is to route the pad supply water into copper line with fins on it that is in front of the output side (side drafts) then to the spider. This makes the output cooler (supply water gets COLD when humidity is low) and in addition I think it condenses out some of the humidity they blow out. Less rust on your tooling, of course this only works in places like Tucson, where I am.
Dave G.

What are we calling "aspen" pad? I used the blue plastic one, and the first year, it got all clogged up. I powerwashed it, but the second year, it seemed like it didn't wet as good as the first year.
This year, I got the green paper looking pads for one cooler. The other came with the "excelsior" or what looks like fine wood strands. The kind that were common and the only ones available long ago. I will use the excelsior pads this first year, and see how it looks next spring.
Steve
On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:22:59 -0700, "SteveB"

I've gone to refrigerated in the house do to increase humidity in this area. However before I did I put nylatron lathe shavings in the pads held in place by some 1/4" mess hail screen. I'm currently using the same two swamp coolers in my shop with the original set of shavings in the pads about 8 years later. I just blow and wash the pads out at the first of the year each year. The shavings actually work better with a little bit of deposit on them since it provides a absorbent surface for the water.
Before that I tried both kinds of green pads (the paper and the scotch pad style) but had build up problems which restricted air flow.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

I would not buy one of the plastic coolers - I'm told VERY nasty things happen if they catch fire... 8-O
I worked on an all-Stainless downdraft swamper once (everything but the blower wheel) and tried to track down a few for myself. But they were only made for a short time, before they realized they were cutting their own throat by selling people a lifetime cooler. Much better for the manufacturers that they rust out every few years.
L.A. City tap water is pretty decent, we just drain the cooler manually a few times through the season and that's the end of it.
We've been running swampers for decades on our houses, and laughing at the neighbors chewing up electricity by the ton while we just spin a couple of half-horse blowers...
But the Valley is finally getting too humid for them to be effective on the really bad days. The 5-ton split system goes in at the end of the month - for the bad days. Spring and fall, I'm leaving one swamper in service.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:19:37 -0700, "SteveB"

I use a simple t connection off the pump, with a 1/4" line running out of the cooler over to a stainless steel box, that my cats drink from in the summer time. It helps to bleed off the water, giving a regular change, keeping the accumulated Spooge from hard water down to managable levels. A couple times a each summer, I dump a pool clorine tab in. This helps keep moss and other nasties from growing.
My MasterCool 6500 single pad has been running off and on for the past month or so. I had to rebuild the motor bracket, and replace a bearing and belt a couple weeks ago. Its only 20 yrs old, so I was a bit surprised it needed maint.
Gunner

Hmmm... hard water (with dissolved "spooge"), chlorine, and "moss and other nasties" all draining into your cats' drinking dish. They must really love you! ;)
- Michael

Actually, they do. <G> And the small clorine tabs when dissolved in the 10 gallon reserve of the cooler itself then piddled out a small bit at at a time doesnt seem to bother them either.
Considering what the water quality is here of puddles left after a rain storm..seriously alkyli ..that doesnt seem to stop them from drinking either. That 5 gallon box of water, if left untended during the summer months, will evaporate in less than 36 hours..and its in deep shade.
Gunner

Those are some hardy cats you've got. Actually, the dissolved minerals might help them replace electrolytes lost through perspiration.
Where do you live Gunner? From past messages, I have the impression that you're somewhere in the desert region of Southern California. I lived in the California high desert myself for three years while stationed at China Lake (post Persian Gulf War I).
- Michael

I live 30 odd miles west of Bakersfield in Taft. About the same terrain as China Lake in parts, and about the same elevation. I think we are about 100 miles to the west of CL, give or take 20 or so.
Gunner

Actually you'd be surprised. The animals around my place prefer the drink from the nasty looking water in my slack tank even with nice clean water if available a few feet away.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook