Tesla Turbine

yesterday I had some spare time:

piece of plywood skateboard "truck" (axle, axle mount, bearings, wheel=hub)

7 Compact disks 10 bolts + nuts 16 washers

4 bolts +nuts for holding the truck to the plywood

stacked CD's, cut 4 holes on outer edge (for bolts, to hold CD's together)

2 holes on inner edge (connection to hub) 5 CD's need their inner hold widened.

put it together. blew on it with the compressor. approx 4000 RPM

Ok, it wobbles. badly.

today, I went ahead and remade the CD's, drilling them closer to precise.

approx 8000 RPM

12V no load (with a 6volt motor) 6V with load, 2amps output.

So, I decided to add ONE nozzle:

1/8" inner diameter aluminum tubing 2X4 wood supports

approx 10,000 RPM

8volts, 2 amps loaded

measured with digital multimeter.

Rich

Reply to
aiiadict

pictures?

Reply to
williamhenry

To quote Elmer Fudd -- "be vewy vewy careful" -- there have been a number of reports of some of the CD's exploding in some of the high speed CD drives and doing a fair amount of damage.

10,000 is starting to get up there. (of course they were saying the Formula 1 cars are turning 18,000 on a V-10 engine -- that can really come apart in a hurry !!

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

Didn't "Mythbusters", the TV program do a storey on exploding CD's?

Reply to
Tom Miller

Don't remember that one, but there have been a number of people in the cdr newsgroups who say they have had it happen to them. Only happens in the high speed drives and if the disc has a crack (even a small one) in it already. I have not seen it personally, but there were a number that said it happened to them (as opposed to "I have heard of it"). Apparently does a fairly good job of destroying the drive when it happens ...

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

It happened to me. Sounded like a 22 pistol and I did have to replace the drive. It was a German language tape :-) so the entire set is worthless (or nearly so) without the first lesson.

Dale

Reply to
Dale Hallmark

If anyone reading wants pictures, send me an email....

aiiadict AT gmail DOT com

Rich

Reply to
aiiadict

Sounds like a good use for disks from a hard drive.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

I'd like to see it- can you just send them to the dropbox?

John

Reply to
JohnM

Clean CDs are good up to 20-30k, IIRC. Simple job to seperate out the bad ones - they explode.

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

I'm sorry! Here is the first lesson: Bier; Guten Tag; Oktoberfest; Auf Wiedersehen; Wo ist mein Hotel?; Schnaps; Danke; Bitte; Noch ein Bier;

That should be enough for 2 weeks. (not learning German, staying in Germany)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Pics!!

Gunner

Gunner

Me me me!

Emailed and posted

Gunner

Gunner

Thanks Nick but I already knew that much :-)

Ich kann zwar ein wenig auf Deutsch lesen, allerdings bin ich nicht in der Lage Deutsch zu schreiben.

Später Dale PS it was a "CD" not "Tape" as I miswrote.

Reply to
Dale Hallmark

[translation: I can read a bit German, but I'm not able to write in German]

This is either the "Big Hallmark Swindle", or this is the only sentence you have perfectly learned (-> swindle -> recursion).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

AOL! [BTW: The AOL-CD-Tesla Turbine, how about that?] Can someone drop them in the ummm... dropbox, please.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Seconded! If Rich has never used the dropbox, here's instructions.

Artemia Salina

done.

I've seen reference to the "drop box" and didn't know what it was. Thanks for the link, Artemia.

Rich

Reply to
aiiadict

I collect Austrian coins tokens and medals and have needed to learn a little mostly in that context and a little for communication purposes.

It is one of a few sentences that I know how to put together properly. I know lots of words but German sentence structure is tough. Actually English is pretty tough for this old Texan too :-)

I would love to know a lot more but I am pretty lazy and most Germans and Austrians I have met electronically have excellent English skills and many times a couple other languages too. Makes me a little lacking by comparisson.

Dale Ich weiß nichts davon.

Lange nicht gut genug.

Reply to
Dale Hallmark

This is the mysterious drawback of your language.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller