Update on 787 Battery Problems

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:57:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Many of the parts are now being made by Boeing. All sorts of problems with contracted out parts and assemblies have delayed the production of the plane. What is interesting is that I know several folks who work for Boeing in many different types of jobs, from engineering to assemblers to tooling makers to inspectors. And they all predicted these problems. Eric
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:41:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Anyone with half a brain could have predicted it.

It's hard enough to turn the prototype into working product when engineering and production are in the same building. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_Change_Order "ECOs can compensate for design errors found during debug or changes that are made to the design specification to compensate for design problems in other areas of the system design."
Considerable effort is needed to make sure they don't interact, and can be applied out of sequence if necessary.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Some OEMS will do any missing ECOs on equipment returned for any reason, Other don't give a damn.

enough left over to pay them.

_
It's good that they are keeping the problem contained, but it doesn't seem to address the issue of removing heat generated by the batteries. They are asking a 30V battery about twice the size of a car battery to start an 1100 hp APU (genset) and not get excessively hot. Internal resistance always gets worse in a battery. (I'll bet that the mgt system for cell charging won't be the issue.) I don't know why space is so tight that they cannot spread the 8 cells apart and have proper heat sinks for them.