Very nice deal on diesel 15,000 lb outdoor forklift

I was very happy yesterday, a heavy duty forklift in great condition that I bought for very little.
https://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Kalmar-150-Forklift/

    Nice deal. But I am a little puzzled by "solid pneumatic tires". I through that they were either solid (rubber) or inflated with air (pneumatic), but I may be mis-informed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Those are better than porous pneumatic tires, like I found yesterday on my ancient log splitter.
--jsw

Maybe Ig meant "semi-pneumatic", or perhaps he used the term "solid" in reference to their being "perfectly intact".
Lloyd

Is that a PC euphemism for tires with air in only the top side?

Jim, a semi-pneumatic tire is a relatively conventional tire filled with (usually polyurethane) foam, so it exhibits most of the qualities of a pneumatic tire while being nearly puncture-proof.
I just looked up "solid pneumatic" as it applies to forklift tires. Ig wasn't incorrect, nor using the term differently.
It refers to SOLID tires mounted on pneumatic rims that have (supposedly) the same compression and flex characteristics of the same-sized pneumatic tires (for that application), but which - being solid - are totally- immune to punctures.
LLoyd
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 21:07:00 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I have those on my 600# hand truck from HFT. I have to remember to air them up each time. Ooh, I forgot that I still have some Slime... New tubes on my riding mower fixed those recurring flats.
--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin

They are solid, but made of soft rubber inside, so they act like pneumatic tires and provide better cushioning. In forklifts, "Solid Tires" refer to hard rubber tires that are only suitable for use on hard surfaces. Solid pneumatic tires can drive on compacted dirt. (not on fresh soil)

Is that exactly it or are they foam filled penumatics? I had a scissor lift at one time that had tires that looked like they belonged on an ATV. They were heavy ply pneumatics that had been foam filled. It worked well on hard pack and decently on turf. They would get torn up rather quickly on asphalt or concrete, so I had a second set of the regular white rubber hard tires I used most of the time.

These are factory made solid pneumatic tires, Solideal brand
On 6/20/2016 2:48 PM, Ignoramus12727 wrote:

Ya, but the wheels, you need to paint them Black. Maybe just took the picture before you finished? Mikek
On 06/20/2016 12:21 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Sounds like an oxymoron, but it's not...it is what it is... :)
<http://tokaisolidtire.com/solid-pneumatic-tires/
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 11:28:32 -0500, Ignoramus20400

That's a most excellent deal, Ig. Tires look to have lotsa meat, too. What is the lift height on that? Was it running?
--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin

Everything is running, it starts, drives, stops, turns, lifts and tilts.
Lift height about 14 feet also, three stage mast.
On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 09:26:00 -0500, Ignoramus2663

It's official, once again: YOU SUCK!
;)
--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 09:26:00 -0500, Ignoramus2663

I paid $400.00 for my new to me 1971 vintage 4000 pound capacity propane fueled AC forklift. I decided to see how high the forks would go and amazingly they go up 15 feet! I was shocked. My building is 17 feet inside so it could be used to place stuff in the loft. Cool. Eric

Very nice! I have a Kalmar AC 5000 lbs forklift that I bought for $500, same thing it goes up to the sky.
Check out the last photo for the "new look" ;-)
https://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Kalmar-150-Forklift/

Well, that didn't take long to "pretty up". But you better drive it long enough to rub all that yellow paint off the tires! <G>
Good deal, Ig. If you weren't so far from me, I'd make you an offer. My little forklift just doesn't hack it for some of the jobs I need to do.
LLoyd
On 2016-06-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

I think that I will keep it rather than sell... Those gravel lot forklifts are very handy for a lot of purposes...